Ellington Treasury Shows

Sundog

Marcel--can you post the Amazon link? I can't seem to find it... is it on an Amazon Europe site?

Edit: OK, I do see it up for pre-order on Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Treasury-shows-Vol-17-2CD/dp/B00H317O8K/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1386451066&sr=1-1&keywords=ellington+treasury+17

Edited by ghost of miles

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Got mine from Amazon US. It's a good one with lots of rarities but the 2nd cd isn't of a Treasury Show. So that means they've released 33 shows and I've read that they did 45 altogether so there should be 6 more cds of 12 more shows. Does anyone know if that's correct?

Edited by medjuck

Just ordered mine from Amazon US yesterday, so hopefully I'll have it soon as well. Weren't there originally 24 2-LP sets in the series that was released in the 1980s? I think the goal is to re-release them all as 2-CD sets, with extra material being added to each release. I'll drop a line to Mona at Storyville and see what she says.

Edited by ghost of miles

Ghost,

The original complete issue of the Treasury series broadcasts (to distinguish them from the incomplete issues on Fairmont) were on a series of 46 LPs that Jerry Valburn issued on his DETS label. There were also a couple of bonus LPs and a bonus EP that included material that post-dated the Treasury series broadcasts.

Just ordered mine from Amazon US yesterday, so hopefully I'll have it soon as well. Weren't there originally 24 2-LP sets in the series that was released in the 1980s? I think the goal is to re-release them all as 2-CD sets, with extra material being added to each release. I'll drop a line to Mona at Storyville and see what she says.

Yes, Allegro shows February 11.

I couldn't resist ordering (though at a bigger expense) from amazon.co.uk and received it last week. Very nice! Even includes numbers by "the Mellotones"! :D Good sound.

Who were the Mellotones? When I google the name I get mainly contemporary groups. It sounds really familiar but maybe I'm confusing it with Mel Torme's group The Mel-Tones.

Just a group of guys singing with the Orchestra at that time. I don't believe they were the same Mellotones who later became the Cardinals, but the group that caused the Cardinals to change their name from the Mellotones. I don't have the liner notes with me to check to see if there is more info. . . .

Edited by jazzbo

Just a group of guys singing with the Orchestra at that time. I don't believe they were the same Mellotones who later became the Cardinals, but the group that caused the Cardinals to change their name from the Mellotones. I don't have the liner notes with me to check to see if there is more info. . . .

With the Ellington Orchestra? (The liner notes don't say much anything about them if you're referring to the notes to DETS 17.)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ellington Treasury V. 18 now available on Amazon UK, along with the 1963 concert and the Strayhorn box:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Treasury-shows-Vol-18-2CD/dp/B00KBEY3XK/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1404066803&sr=1-1&keywords=duke+ellington+treasury+18

I'm holding out for Amazon USA, since I have points to use... I want to get all three of these.

I used to get my Storyville items from Worlds Records, their prices were great and they would reliably get all the Ellington releases. I got Volume 17 from Amazon US, but a search for Volume 18 and the other items does not even come up for pre-order. Amazon UK is pretty pricey when you factor in shipping to the US. Is there any US-based mail order that gets Storyville?