VIDEO: Boris Rose interviewed by Dan Morgenstern

JSngry

Has anyone here seen the "Birdland Book"? Has it been donated to the Institute of Jazz Studies?

That collection in his basement needs to go to a place where it will be properly archived and disseminated (good article here:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704354704575651483072044218.html#articleTabs%3Darticle)

Edited by Indestructible!

WOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS THE COOLEST THING IVE EVER SEEN ON THE INTERNET. BORIS IS VERY WELL SPOKEN, I LIKE THE WAY HE SPEAKS. AND THE BIRDLAND BOOK! NEVER HEARD OF ABOUT THAT BEFORE! OMFG! IT IS THE GUIDE TO THE COLLECTION OF BORIS. I WONDER IF DAN MORGENSTERN CAN HELP US GET A COPY. IM SURE BORIS'S 70S LPS ONLY REPRESENT A SMALL SMALL FRACTION OF WHAT HE RECORDED! OMG ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

If this was a perfect world, an organization like UNESCO and its world heritage program would take care of it!

A friend and myself have contacted the Thelonius Monk Institute and they will try to contact Rose' daughter to see what it will take to aquire the collection. If the Thelonius Monk Institute is able to get a hold of this, I don't know what that will do. I bet the collection will sit somewhere do to legal reasons. But at least my friend was told, they will make an effort to obtain the collection.

If this was a perfect world, an organization like UNESCO and its world heritage program would take care of it!

A friend and myself have contacted the Thelonius Monk Institute and they will try to contact Rose' daughter to see what it will take to aquire the collection. If the Thelonius Monk Institute is able to get a hold of this, I don't know what that will do. I bet the collection will sit somewhere do to legal reasons. But at least my friend was told, they will make an effort to obtain the collection.

Let's hope this works out and that somehow we will be able to access the collection!

Update

The asking price is 7 figures. Insane. No one will shell out this kind of money.

From an email I received.

Dan Morganstein is the director at the Rutgers Institute For Jazz Studies and a information source in the Wall Street Journal story. Rutgers knows about the Boris Rose Archive and really should be the ones doing somthing about it. I think that they want big money, (7 digits) for this collection that nobody has or is willing to pay. Then on top of that you have the restoriation cost. This is a big project

Edited by Hardbopjazz

• 2 weeks later...

If the Thelonius Monk Institute is able to get a hold of this, I don't know what that will do. I bet the collection will sit somewhere do to legal reasons. But at least my friend was told, they will make an effort to obtain the collection.

I don't think any potential rights issues would stand in the way of preservation & digital transfer.