Hank Mobley

romualdo

Am I correct in thinking that the Mobley et al 2CD's Monday Night & Another Monday Night At Birdland were originally released in the late 80's/early 90's by Blue Note/Capitol.

Does anyone have the CD serial #'s - need them for my ongoing (started 1994) Blue Note & affiliated database.

They are not mentioned in the Lord Discography.

These are Roulette sessions and were never released on CD by Blue Note. They were issued by Fresh Sound (Spain) and have recently been reissued on CD in Japan.

Yes, I've seen the Fresh Sound Set & have just obtained the recent TOCJ CD reissues (fantastic sound quality).

Blue Note/Capitol have reissued quite a bit of the Roulette material over the past 20 years on CD - I'm surprised these were not

Anyway, thanks for the heads up

Edited by romualdo

I came across this one around 1960 as an LP called Monday Night at Birdland. I don't recall a second album, nor that it was issued under Hank Mobley's name.

There were two "Various Artists" LPs, Monday Night at Birdland (Roulette R-52015 mono/SR-52015 stereo), released in 1958, and Another Monday Night at Birdland (Roulette R-52022 mono/SR-52022 stereo), released in 1959.

I came across this one around 1960 as an LP called Monday Night at Birdland. I don't recall a second album, nor that it was issued under Hank Mobley's name.

There were two "Various Artists" LPs, Monday Night at Birdland (Roulette R-52015 mono/SR-52015 stereo), released in 1958, and Another Monday Night at Birdland (Roulette R-52022 mono/SR-52022 stereo), released in 1959.

One of those albums was rather snottily reviewed at the time for The Jazz Review by a young composer-pianist named Tupper Saussy, who had recently been a student at the celebrated School of Jazz At Lenox Inn (John Lewis, Ornette, Giuffre, et al.). Mr. Saussy went on to have a colorful career to say the least. It's not every onetime jazz musician who makes common cause with James Earl Ray -- and that ain't the half of it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupper_Saussy

One of those albums was rather snottily reviewed at the time for The Jazz Review by a young composer-pianist named Tupper Saussy, who had recently been a student at the celebrated School of Jazz At Lenox Inn (John Lewis, Ornette, Giuffre, et al.). Mr. Saussy went on to have a colorful career to say the least. It's not every onetime jazz musician who makes common cause with James Earl Ra -- and that ain't the half of it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupper_Saussy

Holy cow, that's one of the more remarkable wiki bios I've ever read (assuming it's all true). Certainly defines a full life (of an odd sort).

the new cds sound better? is it a different transfer? how is that even possible. the mastertapes are probably in morris levy's grave. im suprised. how to get the new set anyway? yea the old cds were sketch. wish i still had the booklets/backcovers and stuff for these. never had the lps. yea its hard to find roulette lps cause theyre all misc./ various artists. checkin out the usually no good v/a section at the store the other day though i found a SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET copy of Gretech Drum Night @ Birdland vol2: a roulette date, w/ elvin philly joe, charlie parsip and art blakey leading the crazy group. sonny red, tommy flannagan, ron carter..........

the new cds sound better? is it a different transfer? how is that even possible. the mastertapes are probably in morris levy's grave. im suprised. how to get the new set anyway? yea the old cds were sketch. wish i still had the booklets/backcovers and stuff for these. never had the lps. yea its hard to find roulette lps cause theyre all misc./ various artists. checkin out the usually no good v/a section at the store the other day though i found a SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET copy of Gretech Drum Night @ Birdland vol2: a roulette date, w/ elvin philly joe, charlie parsip and art blakey leading the crazy group. sonny red, tommy flannagan, ron carter..........

The names are Charli (no e) Persip (with an e) and Tommy Flanagan, and the title of the LP is Gretsch Drum Night at Birdland.

never heard of that guy. sounds like a boheminan type or phaux-renassiance man....interesting

The names are Charli (no e) Persip (with an e) and Tommy Flanagan, and the title of the LP is Gretsch Drum Night at Birdland.

dude its 11 in the morning. im suprised i didnt call him Honk Mobley, lololollllllllllllllllllll

never heard of that guy. sounds like a boheminan type or phaux-renassiance man....interesting

dude its 11 in the morning. im suprised i didnt call him Honk Mobley, lololollllllllllllllllllll

Well, trying to spell someone's name correctly is a matter of respect in my opinion, no matter the time of day.

Besides, if someone does a search for those names they can only be found if they are spelt correctly.

or maybe a "phaux-renassiance man".

Where does that leave Charlie Parsnip?

Interesting question.

Perhaps we should dangle out a carrot and see if he bites :unsure:

Besides, if someone does a search for those names they can only be found if they are spelt correctly.

I think you mean "spelled correctly".

:rofl:

No doubt you know this, but both are correct.

I read that the irregular forms, "spelt", "burnt", etc., still current in the UK along with "burned", "spelled", etc., are now being ousted by the latter in the US.