32 Jazz / Muse

Dmitry

Who owns the 32 Jazz [and Muse by proxy], since Joel Dorn's passing?

Any word on Muse reissues since 32 Jazz bit the dust? 32 jazz owned the Muse catalog.

Remember those odd-looking cd cases, $8.99 new? Haven't seen any of those 32 Jazz/label M cds in the used stores in years. Some good Muse records on those cds.

I had no idea 32jazz had a Japanese imprint.

Check these out, 24 bit, original covers -

http://cgi.ebay.com/WOODY-SHAW-LITTLE-REDS-FANTASY-JAPAN-CD-RONNIE-MATHEWS-/390280889346?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item5ade8dc402

http://cgi.ebay.com/WOODY-SHAW-CONCERT-ENSEMBLE-JAPAN-CD-RONNIE-MATHEWS-/390280889895?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item5ade8dc627

tranemonk, there are several copies of the 32jazz Woody Shaw twofers on eBay.

Haven't seen any of those 32 Jazz/label M cds in the used stores in years.

What a coincidence - I just picked up the fabulous Bar Wars by Willis Jackson in a used CD store today. The same store had a Woody Shaw which I already had. I found Fathead Newman's Captain Buckles on Label M a few months ago, and Turkish Woman at the Baths by Pete LaRoca a few months before that. But Atlanta has so many places that sell used CDs that all sorts of things show up.

Bar Wars is taking the top of my head off, by the way. I should have had this one years ago.

Edited by jeffcrom

I went to check this one out, blinked when I saw it, then went to my shelves to see if the original LP also had the picture reversed. It does: Woody's playing a left-handed trumpet (with his left hand) there, too...

Maybe that could be a good topic: obviously-reversed cover photos.

Yeah, the packaging is plain ugly ("Bar Wars" one of the worst!) but the music often is great!

Love all the Woody Shaws, the Sonny Stitts, the La Roca, the Clifford Jordans...

And I enjoyed Dorn's blurbs on the inside of the packages. They got some great stuff back out that I never expected to see (Catalyst, Roy Brooks "The Free Slave"), also missed/butchered a few key items in the Muse catalog (Carlos Garnett, Jimmy Heath, Charles Earland, The Visitors).

I went to check this one out, blinked when I saw it, then went to my shelves to see if the original LP also had the picture reversed. It does: Woody's playing a left-handed trumpet (with his left hand) there, too...

Maybe that could be a good topic: obviously-reversed cover photos.

Right - like the Eldridge Mosaic cover.

Joel Dorn introduced me to some music that I might not otherwise have discovered on my own with his 32jazz label. That Laroca/Turkish Women and the Brooks/Free Slave were two mentioned on this thread. Clifford Jordan's excellent "Night of the Mark VII" is probably my favorite release from that label (I think it was actually called "Higher Mountain" on Muse, though Clifford seemed to have a studio and live album with that title).

When I see these in the store, I pretty much just pick 'em up blind. I'm glad someone has picked the label up, but I don't have any objective feedback if Savoy is treating the titles with the reverence they deserve.

I always imagined the North Sea Jazz Festival as being some magical jazz adventure. Hearing that there was a tent full of 32jazz titles on discount is as unsurprising to me as if you said they were selling wishes in a bottle at buy-one-get-one-free.

Edited by Chicago Expat