Citigroup Takes Control of EMI

mjzee

LONDON—In a dramatic end to one of the most disastrous leveraged buyouts of last decade's deal boom, Citigroup Inc. seized EMI Group Ltd. from financier Guy Hands's Terra Firma Capital Partners LP in a move that is expected to kick off an auction of the storied music company.

Terra Firma bought EMI in 2007, largely using a loan from Citigroup that eventually was too much for the private-equity firm to manage. Now, EMI said in a statement Tuesday, Citigroup has acquired 100% of its shares and slashed the company's debt to £1.2 billion ($1.92 billion) from £3.4 billion. The timing is somewhat surprising, as Citigroup wasn't expected to officially foreclose on debt-laden EMI for five months.

WSJ

Let the bidding begin!

LONDON—In a dramatic end to one of the most disastrous leveraged buyouts of last decade's deal boom, Citigroup Inc. seized EMI Group Ltd. from financier Guy Hands's Terra Firma Capital Partners LP in a move that is expected to kick off an auction of the storied music company.

Terra Firma bought EMI in 2007, largely using a loan from Citigroup that eventually was too much for the private-equity firm to manage. Now, EMI said in a statement Tuesday, Citigroup has acquired 100% of its shares and slashed the company's debt to £1.2 billion ($1.92 billion) from £3.4 billion. The timing is somewhat surprising, as Citigroup wasn't expected to officially foreclose on debt-laden EMI for five months.

WSJ

Let the bidding begin!

Any bets on where Blue Note ends up? Do they split up EMI?

Speculation anyone?

In all seriousness, if I had to guess, I'd say that BN and all jazz-related labels (Roulette, UA, etc - but just the jazz titles) might be sold to a rich "white knight" who loves jazz and would get a kick out of operating it on a break-even basis, not looking for profit. Think Clint Eastwood, someone like that.

Chuck, I read an article about Warner just the other day. It said that their stock had remained essentially flat, while two of its competitors had fallen 20%.

I was surprised to see that, because I have no faith in Edgar Bronfman, Jr.

By the way, the article said that Warner was also putting itself up for sale.

Was that story linked to in another thread here? I don't remember.

Chuck, I read an article about Warner just the other day. It said that their stock had remained essentially flat, while two of its competitors had fallen 20%.

Warner is well off the highs of 2006, roughly 80% off the peak. KKR (as featured in Barbarians At The Gate) is rumored to be interested in Warner though I have no idea if there's anything to it. As far as Warner buying EMI, do anti-trust concerns exist for a business sector that's so damaged? :rolleyes:

Doesn't EMI own Mosaic Records? Would this be a good time to buy all wish-listed items before something bad and unexpected happens (again)?

Either that or sell off all the rare sets now before they are reprinted and sold off cheap in JSP/Proper-type boxes. :)

Edited by John L

Quincy, the article said that Bronfman and his partners had taken all of their money and plenty more out of the company. Perhaps that is why the price has fallen.

Where was the article? I think they want to buy EMI but may not be able to afford it.BTW I don't understand how the Citigroup takeover helped retire debt but it has and EMI is now viable on its own for a couple of years.

Medjuck,I don't remember where I saw the article, but it was within the last week or so - very recent.

I gather that most of the debt was owed to Citigroup, so Citi took over the company and converted the debt into equity, thus cleaning up the balance sheet.

As I understand it, no one said that EMI's sales were ridiculously low, only that they weren't enough to make the payments on the large sum of money borrowed by Guy Hands to take the company private.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...