Gene Ammons

Bright Moments

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep. I knew a couple of his students at NT, freshman year. They kinda went crazy when the Savoy reissue came out. Apparently he didn't go into a lot of specifics about his past, so they just assumed he was some old guy who probably played some gigs here and there. Imagine their surprise!

They bought the record on the spot.

Too bad the Black & Blue sides weren't visible....

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

yep. I knew a couple of his students at NT, freshman year. They kinda went crazy when the Savoy reissue came out. Apparently he didn't go into a lot of specifics about his past, so they just assumed he was some old guy who probably played some gigs here and there. Imagine their surprise!

They bought the record on the spot.

Too bad the Black & Blue sides weren't visible....

I feel like this is a story that needs to be told to a larger audience.

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

John Hardee at Skyline in Dallas!

Didn't know about that. Having gone to Skyline 1973-1976 I never heard his name mentioned there. However I came across this:

"In the late 1940s he moved back to Texas and taught school in Wichita Falls until 1955, when he settled in Dallas. There he held a teaching position at Oliver Wendell Holmes High School until his retirement in 1976. Hardee gave his last performance at the Nice Jazz Festival in France in 1975. He died in Dallas on May 18, 1984."

On 12/19/2022 at 2:47 PM, John L said:

For certain moods, nothing can beat those low key Moodsville albums (Nice an' Cool, The Soulful Mood).  Just even the way Jug plays the melodies of some of those ballads is soooooo satisfying.  

I'll second that. Nice an' Cool is not so easy to come by, but it has been re-issued on CD along with The Soulful Moods in this release, with very enthusiastic lines notes by Bob Porter:

https://archive.org/details/cd_the-gene-ammons-story-gentle-jug_gene-ammons

https://www.discogs.com/fr/master/442727-Gene-Ammons-The-Gene-Ammons-Story-Gentle-Jug

Edited by hopkins

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

Perhaps I am not remembering correctly, but it seems they said Skyline. 

Would Holmes have been a predominately African-American school in those days (early 70s)?

Reading about Skyline, it the early 70s it seemed that maybe they recruited various talents from other schools. If my friends had Hardee as a teacher (and they certainly appeared to have) perhaps they had him at Holmes before transferring to Skyline? They were both trumpeters/school band people.

I didn't know that I'd been living under a rock, but it must be true. I just realized I don't know this album:

MS0xOTkzLmpwZWc.jpeg

... but maybe I've heard it before—was it originally on Argo with a different cover? (From Argo to Prestige?) At any rate, I don't have it in my collection. Listening on YouTube right now.

Dig. 👋👋👋

11 hours ago, hopkins said:

Then you are in luck because the other half of those sessions were issued as Boss Soul.

Yep, I believe all or most tracks are on that Prestige 2fer.

5 minutes ago, Late said:

MC02OTU5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Piece To Keep Away Evil Spirits

Bam.

The more broadly I listen to Ammons, the more clearly I hear the Pres roots. 

Check out: Super 10 million, 71 thousand, 993 and you will have a better weekend.

This reminds me of this Ellery Eskelin Jug tribute record.

Ny05NjYxLmpwZWc.jpeg

On 2/17/2023 at 8:00 AM, JSngry said:

Reading about Skyline, it the early 70s it seemed that maybe they recruited various talents from other schools. If my friends had Hardee as a teacher (and they certainly appeared to have) perhaps they had him at Holmes before transferring to Skyline? They were both trumpeters/school band people.

That's likely. You could go to Skyline from anywhere in the city - either half the day or full time.

The Jug-a-thon continues. A perfect album for Sunday brunch:

Mi01MTIzLmpwZWc.jpeg

An excellent collaboration between Eugene Stanley Ammons and Edward Hammond Boatner, recorded the day after this one:

ODctNDUxNC5qcGVn.jpeg

What are your favorite Ammons/Boatner collabs?

On 2/18/2023 at 10:43 AM, Joe said:

This reminds me of this Ellery Eskelin Jug tribute record.

Ny05NjYxLmpwZWc.jpeg

👍

On 2/15/2023 at 9:01 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

For sentimental reasons, the one I was involved in.

This one?

MDctNjIwMy5qcGVn.jpeg

The Jug-a-thon continues. I thought I'd be spinning more than one album today, but—no—I only spun this one...multiple times:

ODctNDUxNC5qcGVn.jpeg

Ammons' sound is untouchable. A molasses cookie. Three molasses cookies with a pot of black pekoe tea.

Sometimes I like to listen to this one. 

I think I like the quartet tracks most, but also the All-Star Jam with Dex and Cannonball is very fine. 
It´s a very fine, boppish session. 

On the other hand, I think I have a Miles Davis-Stan Getz album from Birdland in the early fifties, where on Side B there is unlisted some Gene Ammons-Sonny Stitt with Tadd Dameron´s rhythm section, which is very very fine and I didn´t find it mentioned in the 2 books about Tadd Dameron. 

Herunterladen (12).jpg

Herunterladen (13).jpg

Edited by Gheorghe

On 2/17/2023 at 8:21 AM, Joe said:

This might be some of the grooviest Jug I've heard.

image.jpg?c=8dENqcF9b_0v3537ZJaAjx_TZlp6

The Jug-a-thon persists! Okay, currently listening to this. You are so RIGHT. These two albums are Jug in top form. This comp is highly recommended, for both newbies and jaded enthusiasts. But the CD cover art is horrible! The typographer should've been fired. Why make something new and sub-par when the original jackets could've been used?

Ny00MTE4LmpwZWc.jpeg

OC00OTY1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Bam. Two EXCELLENT Jug albums. Light a fire, pour the cognac.