Butch Warren JAZZforum presentation

bertrand

Antoine Sanfuentes and Natasha Lebedeva (both from NBC) and myself will be presenting Butch's Blues, a discussion on the life and music of Butch Warren (pictured to the left :)), on Wednesday 3/16/11 at the University Of The District Of Columbia (UDC) (Recital Hall, Building 46-West, Van Ness/UDC metro stop). This is part of the UDC Jazz Archives' Jazzforum series. Butch will be on hand to discuss key events of his career. The presentation will include audio, video, rare photographs and a performance. Hope some of you can be there.

The Jazz Alive schedule can be found here:

http://www.lrdudc.wrlc.org/jazz/events.php

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Thanks for the heads up. It was good to make it out and see Butch in person. Good job on the discographical spin through the years. Has inspired a new playlist with about 25 of the album titles you list, including what likely are several desert island picks of mine. Go Butch!!

Patrick,

Thanks for coming! I was amazed at how many people were there. We're lucky Butch was in the mood to talk.

My favorite part was when I asked him about playing with Shepp and Dixon, and he said it's the same as what he usually plays, just the people dance differently.

Bertrand.

• 2 years later...

I guess it was decided that the cat could be left out of the bag, He was diagnosed a few months ago. They did a tribute at Westminster Church on 8/9 (his birthday), and he played a few pieces.

I visited him in the hospital and the nursing home a few times. His mind is still sharp, and the old humor is still there.

Some friends of mine recorded him in Baltimore in January with Freddie Redd and Matt Wilson, along with Brad Linde, Brian Settles and Sarah Hughes on some of the tracks. I will keep you posted on when this will be available (Michael Formanek is also on the session on the tracks for which Butch sits out).

Hanging with Butch over the years has been an honor and privilege. Let's think happy thoughts as he is still with us, handling his illness with great dignity and good spirits.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand