Smile Will Finally Get Released

Teasing the Korean

Listened to it for the first time last night and absolutely loved it. Am going to listen again in the next day or two and will try to report back in more specific detail as well... but I'm really glad that they went ahead and put this out. My first impression is that it really does hold together as an album--beautiful, wild and trippy--and does not sound simply like a collection of well-done fragments or sessions. I mean, I think he actually pulled it off and just didn't know how to quit 40+ years ago... or just had another even higher level in mind that he couldn't quite reach. But the album as is is pretty wonderful.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is correct, Beach Boys "In Concert" is a fine document of a great band, tho' it misses "Okie From Muskogee," which I saw 'em do in '71 both at Fillmore East-- with ladies & gentleman the Grateful Dead!!-- and at Central Park-- "is that a request or a demostration?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRyD-biu7mQ

also, of course, >>>>>> the combined careers of Eric Clapton, Bill Frisell, Joe Lovano, Sabir Mateen--

You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone

Friends is beautifully, brilliantly tender, naive, and a little wack...like Love You in a lot of only ways, only Brian was still mostly connected to reality & was just looking to chill out.

Listened to a lot of Beach Boys today. After a relisten (first time in many years) I agree on 'Friends', to me it is the best of their post-Pet Sounds albums by a good distance, truly charming. I also enjoyed parts of '20/20' quite a bit (realize it is a collection of scraps, not a proper album) and Wild Honey held up well for me. 'Sunflower', on the other hand, has not held up at all for me, just sounds fussy and troubled and weird, in the same way that so much of 'Smiley Smile' was so bizarre sounding. The "Surf's Up" album hasn't held up either for the same reasons, but the title cut and "Til I Die" are gorgeous (if inscrutable lyrically), and I got a retro kick out of silly old "Student Demonstration Time". I'll go through the rest of the early 70's stuff on Monday, but don't expect a lot of revelations after the letdown of 'Sunflower'/"Surf's Up" (though it will be good to hear "Sail On Sailor"). 'Holland' is where I get off the train, I never cared for 'The Beach Boys Love You', and have never known anyone to care for any of the other later albums (featuring Mike Love,mystical musical genius).

Everything from Smiley Smile to Holland has 2-4 good to great tracks. Lots of stuff not so great also. I love Surfs Up though for Long Promised Road, Feel Flows and the great tile track. Even Holland has Sail on Sailer and Trader. I probably like 20/20 the best which has the two great Smile tracks in Our Prayer and Cabinessence.

Finished relistening to the early 70's stuff. The live album from '72 was really good, best of their live recordings I think. The rest, as you said, had the occasional standout song amidst a bunch of gloop. I actually sort of liked 'Holland' OK, not sure why it has such a bad rep compared to the previous albums. I thought the production on it sounded good. But I think I basically get off the train after 'Friends' and '20/20', the end of their Capitol/60's era. I do see myself revisiting those two titles a good bit.

I just read that this is in mono only! I know that's the way Brian hears it but I always like the stereo versions of Beach Boy albums- even pet sounds. Does a good stereo version of Good Vibrations exist? I notice that on the Good Vibrations box set it's in mono.

I read somewhere (I think it was the Hoffman forum) that there's no stereo version of "Good Vibrations".

Funny, but after listening to this in its entirety (and having heard this music previously in various snippets, forms, etc), I still prefer the Brian Wilson version. The only way I can explain it is this: on the Beach Boys version, the tension is still very much in evidence, the discomfort permeating the music so that even though it's "complete," it still sounds disconnected. It's the audio equivalent of listening to a band rebel against its leader; it's no secret that nobody was on Brian's side during the original sessions, and that dissatisfaction/frustration/resentment is still present, despite the voices being all the more glorious for it. While there have been many, MANY, incredible works of art that have come from the most unhappy of circumstances (The White Album, for instance, which I know it's a cliche to say, but it still holds true), the reason it works against this project is because the Beach Boys as a unit stood for everything this album isn't: sunny, simple, direct pop music.

The Brian Wilson version, on the other hand and quite ironically, works better for me because it's the work of a singular vision from a single artist with a full team working entirely FOR him. And this didn't have to work, but the fragments that never fully formed under the moniker of "The Beach Boys" finally gel here because proper credit is finally being paid: SM!LE is and always has been and always will be Brian's baby. As such, it's only fitting that the project released in 2004 was fully titled "Brian Wilson Presents SM!LE" because that's precisely what happened, and ironically enough continues to happen. Yes, the current box is the culmination of assembling the work of "The Beach Boys" (and let's face it, the guys in the band at this point were nothing more than paid singers, a frustration that is justifiable given that their success was built on them BEING a band in the first place), and standing on its own will likely garner the praise and (hopefully) sales to justify what Brian was thinking 40-odd years ago.

But he was right on the money when he said SM!LE was way ahead of its time.

And you should buy it if you're a fan of the Beach Boys and/or Brian. :)

This is incorrect, save your own preference, with which I strongly disagree, especially if you think the "White Album" is an "incredible work of art." Really? Really? I pity you your very small world but otherwise, in the history of western art music, that's an asinine statement.(But wait, wait, lemme turn my back so you can tell us what an "incredible" work of art some goddamn Elvis Costello or REM album is while I guard my classical, jazz, blues, c&w, vaudeville, ethnic, "blue," Broadway show etc records from your mitts once "Big Al" gets hungry for genuine musical nourishment, which I hope for your sake happens soon...

... BW "Smile" is okay but soft; his voice is half-shot even with studio trickery (more saddening than 'moving') and the harmonies adequate. As far as simulacras go it's fine, glad it exists--

-- but it's not a goddamn patch on the original BAND, whose abilities and working relationship(s) you evince precious little understanding of.

Care to source your statements "it's no secret that nobody was on Brian's side during the original sessions"?

Nobody's a big word pardner.

This statement too is utterly fallacious (and don't try to fellate yourself, Big Guy, it's easy to hurt your back)--

"the Beach Boys as a unit stood for everything this album isn't: sunny, simple, direct pop music."

You ever listen to "Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)"? Do you think "That's Not Me" is fucking party music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYJJHSk0bnA

Funny, but after listening to this in its entirety (and having heard this music previously in various snippets, forms, etc), I still prefer the Brian Wilson version. The only way I can explain it is this: on the Beach Boys version, the tension is still very much in evidence, the discomfort permeating the music so that even though it's "complete," it still sounds disconnected. It's the audio equivalent of listening to a band rebel against its leader; it's no secret that nobody was on Brian's side during the original sessions, and that dissatisfaction/frustration/resentment is still present, despite the voices being all the more glorious for it. While there have been many, MANY, incredible works of art that have come from the most unhappy of circumstances (The White Album, for instance, which I know it's a cliche to say, but it still holds true), the reason it works against this project is because the Beach Boys as a unit stood for everything this album isn't: sunny, simple, direct pop music.

The Brian Wilson version, on the other hand and quite ironically, works better for me because it's the work of a singular vision from a single artist with a full team working entirely FOR him. And this didn't have to work, but the fragments that never fully formed under the moniker of "The Beach Boys" finally gel here because proper credit is finally being paid: SM!LE is and always has been and always will be Brian's baby. As such, it's only fitting that the project released in 2004 was fully titled "Brian Wilson Presents SM!LE" because that's precisely what happened, and ironically enough continues to happen. Yes, the current box is the culmination of assembling the work of "The Beach Boys" (and let's face it, the guys in the band at this point were nothing more than paid singers, a frustration that is justifiable given that their success was built on them BEING a band in the first place), and standing on its own will likely garner the praise and (hopefully) sales to justify what Brian was thinking 40-odd years ago.

But he was right on the money when he said SM!LE was way ahead of its time.

And you should buy it if you're a fan of the Beach Boys and/or Brian. :)

Edited by MomsMobley

What I need to know is this - how different is this version from the version (not labeled as such) that came out on the Good Vibrations box a while back?

I really can't imagine it being as organically finished as Brian's version unless they found some way to make some transitions that were never made...that's always been where the various homemade versions fell short for me, the transitions.

But as a document, I suppose I should pick it up at some point. I know the parts are great, it's the whole that I'm having a hard time imagining.

This is incorrect, save your own preference, with which I strongly disagree, especially if you think the "White Album" is an "incredible work of art." Really? Really? I pity you your very small world but otherwise, in the history of western art music, that's an asinine statement.(But wait, wait, lemme turn my back so you can tell us what an "incredible" work of art some goddamn Elvis Costello or REM album is while I guard my classical, jazz, blues, c&w, vaudeville, ethnic, "blue," Broadway show etc records from your mitts once "Big Al" gets hungry for genuine musical nourishment, which I hope for your sake happens soon...

p160.gif

Totally, totally unnecessary.

which box, you mean disc five of the box set or some underground comp of sessions? either way, i'll tell you this DESTROYS every extant reconstruction and i've had plenty-- most impressive being a three-lp "Smile" set on green vinyl with poster from late '80s. i don't buy into any of the 'purple chick' crap, which is worth about what you pay for it... you likely know the most of the endless BBs sessions tapes right? i'm ALMOST sure there's yet stuff here you haven't heard and not in this sound quality...

... if i had to choose, i'd say you'll find more-- MUCH more-- of interest, of startling invention in the big "Smile" box than in the Miles bootleg which-- face it-- isn't all that special, just five dudes doing the pretty much the same thing you knew they did elsewhere at a fairly high but not staggering level. but, as you know, BW was pushing everyone way beyond mere "execution"...

you're correct, btw, the transitions etc in the myriad reconstructions just don't make it. this isn't ENTIRELY pure of post-'67 editing but I'll eat your copy of David Leaf if can't dig it.

Yeah, the disc 5. I've heard plenty of the reconstructions/boots/etc. I prefer them for the parts, but still will take Brian's for the whole.

Guess I'll pick this one up then...will start small and see how hungry I get from there. Honestly, I'm almost in the mood to move on, this might be the final bite.

1) you won't regret it

2) Big Al is a big guy, he can take sharp statement. Name me your ten favorite Schubert compositions and then let's talk about how "incredible" "The White Album" is-- or ** any ** Elvis Costello. Elvis C. is a dude who truly loves music-- not something that can be said for many pop stars, true-- but Elvis Aaron Presley-- and the composer of "Moses Und Aron" was the gifted one. (Schoenberg was very hard worker too, which is the best that can be said for Elvis C. lyricist or-- ooof, really?-- 'composer.')

Besides showtunes (and jazz versions thereof), I grew up on Carl Perkins on one side, the Platters and Bacharach-David via Gene Pitney on the other; explain to me what I needed the Beatles for, ever, except to imagine Dennis Wilson balls deep in Charlie's girls? I gave up Buck Ram for Bobby Bland and never looked back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjiSevkuKYY

Yeah, the disc 5. I've heard plenty of the reconstructions/boots/etc. I prefer them for the parts, but still will take Brian's for the whole.

Guess I'll pick this one up then...will start small and see how hungry I get from there. Honestly, I'm almost in the mood to move on, this might be the final bite.

What will be interesting is to see how much stuff there is that did not come out on bootlegs, and if the sound quality is any better. For example, I have never heard a clean version of "Child is Father to the Man."

Also, there were parts that were never recorded, such as the lyrics to "Do You Like Worms," which had lyrics added on the Brian Wilson version after Van Dyke Parks located his old notebooks.

Not sure if there will be any surprises, but I simply could not refrain from buying it. I have waited too long.

And your ten favorite Schubert compositions are? You have zero credibility as a musicologist or cracker ass cracker barrel ethicist until you up your history game considerably. But hey, tell us something about baseball, since that-- not musicology-- seems to be a more genuine passion.

TTK-- there ** are ** surprises and if the box isn't everything possible... we couldn't keep up with that, and ALL the variants & (subjective) edits... in time i'm sure we'll get a concordance of some kind (I ** think ** I hear a few new old lyrics but...)

A new act is needed.

Edited by MomsMobley

And your ten favorite Schubert compositions are? You have zero credibility as a musicologist or cracker ass cracker barrel ethicist until you up your history game considerably. But hey, tell us something about baseball, since that-- not musicology-- seems to be a more genuine passion.

A new act is needed.

I refuse to attempt a serious conversation with a clown.

You, on the other hand, seem to have no such compunctions.

p160.gif

Always appreciate someone covering my back.

Moms/Clem/whoeverthehellyouarethistime, save your bloviating and your feigning me with damned praise. YOU are incorrect, if not incoherent. And yeah, I think the White Album is a great work of art. So what? It's a testament to your own small worldview that you can't accept people who dare have an opinion different from your own.

I'm actually a descendant of Franz Schubert on my mother's side (absolutely the truth), and yet I like early R.E.M. and early Elvis Costello. Guess something went wrong in the genes somewhere along the way. And/or that there's just no accounting for taste.

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Dal, please!

And notice even JBaseball did NOT defend your absurd assertions about the Beach Boys as a band/business, nor your completely and factually wrong interpretation of their music. Again, what are your sources for these statements?

There's a not inconsiderable body of non-just-journalism on the BBs since David Leaf's book-- tho' of course contemporary journalism is important too, even if-- or especially-- it contradicts the fantasy world of non-understanding + strong opinion you seem to cherish.

As for the Beatles "White Album," that's just laughable but yeah I guess when you're a kid, and you've heard maybe even DOZENS of albums in two-three of genres, it might really trip you up. As an ** ADULT **, with all the combined resources of all Texas public and university library systems at your disposal, your limited cultural/historical reference is truly astonishing. You can like what you like, nobody cares, but to pretend your inherited prejudices are HISTORY is ludicrous.

I know people who've written/published/are recognized as the authors of highly acclaimed books of Beatles history/criticism and even ** THEY ** wouldn't lean back in self-satisfied surety and call "The White Album" a great work of ART; like if that's great art, what the heck was Charles Dickens or Arthur Waley? Basho or Lady Murisaki? Machaut or Brahms? Aeschylus or Schiller? Wagner or Webern? Charles Ives or George & Ira Gershwin? Emily Dickinson? Frederick Douglass (as writer, not 'just' activist)? Jimmie RoDgers, country? Jimmie RoGers, blues? etc.

p160.gif

Always appreciate someone covering my back.

Moms/Clem/whoeverthehellyouarethistime, save your bloviating and your feigning me with damned praise. YOU are incorrect, if not incoherent. And yeah, I think the White Album is a great work of art. So what? It's a testament to your own small worldview that you can't accept people who dare have an opinion different from your own.

Edited by MomsMobley