2011 MLB Season

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matthew, your Mariners are sticking it to us again tonight. On paper I still think NY does not look like a .500 team, but damn if they don't continue to play like one, overall... good stretches, bad stretches that all bring the team generally to a .500 level since the beginning of August last year. ESPN's Andrew Marchand nailed some of the ongoing problems yesterday. They've just begun a very challenging stretch of games, and so far they look like perennial also-rans against Seattle.

You'd think I would have watched that, but instead, I watched a totally pedestrian game between the Marlins & Dodgers :blush:

Since suggesting that I'd follow the Royals this year rather than M's things have turned for both teams. Ah the power of the jinx & reverse jinx. So I'll stick with the above fraud. :lol: Last night was the M's version of bloop Marino to death like the D-backs did in '01. This is a far cry from the excitement of the '95 divisional series but still pretty sweet. I still think that the Rangers will run away because of their depth as they played well enough without Hamilton & Cruz, but who knows, with injuries and months to go anything can happen.

Brewers 6 - Giants 0 today.

I think my guys are still reeling over the loss of Buster Posey. The "new" guys haven't blended in yet so it may be a long stretch before the Giants are back to solid form, I'm afraid.

What pine tar...? :excited:

Edited by GoodSpeak

Only one bad inning from Ogando, but it was five runs worth...but Michael Kirkman holds tight, Rangers battle back to a tie in the 8th (Michale Young!), only to have Feliz blow it in the 9th(something's seriously wrong here...) & Wash actually pulls him before the innings over for Arthur Rhodes, who faces one man & gets him out. Then Cruz, Napoli, Andrus, Crazyass Dave Anederson, Napoli again (you gotta wonder if Buster Posey was on Pena's mind, or if he just totally brainfarted...), and game over, Rangers win, Rhodes gets the win, and finally the Rangers get a come-from behind, walkoff win that's got to boost morale at a time when it was seriously needed.

Now the Rays & the Indians, on the road. Great way to spend a week, and it starts tomorrow. But until it does: http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_05_29_kcamlb_texmlb_1&highlight_content_id=15334605&c_id=tex

Nice shutout by Clayton Kershaw; Furcal hits a homer, Ethier looks like his swing is back, Casey Blake returned to the lineup this series, and the Dodgers are only 5.5 out and no one is going to run away with the division. They might put it together for a run after it's all said and done.

Vin Scully was discussing the Posey play today during the game, and he mentioned that according to one old time catcher, the mistake Posey made was going down on his knee. Scully said he was told once that happened, the player is very venerable to injury. Makes sense.

Now the Rays & the Indians, on the road. Great way to spend a week, and it starts tomorrow. But until it does: http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_05_29_kcamlb_texmlb_1&highlight_content_id=15334605&c_id=tex

Tribe is definitely coming back to earth a bit. The lineup definitely misses Sizemore and Hafner. Not too much to worry about in Cleveland. The Rays on the other hand...

Vin Scully was discussing the Posey play today during the game, and he mentioned that according to one old time catcher, the mistake Posey made was going down on his knee. Scully said he was told once that happened, the player is very venerable to injury. Makes sense.

Um.

Vin Scully is the [hated] Dodgers announcer.

WTF would he care if a Giants guy got injured?

Um.

Right, because someone roots for another team, they rejoice in injuries.... <_< Plus, we all know what a jerk Scully is... <_< <_<

Thanks for demonstrating what kind of world-class jackass you are, Timmy.

The greatest announcer in baseball history and to you he's a jerk who calls games for the Dodgers.

That is, the "not in the top 100 franchises" Dodgers. That must make Scully not in the top 100 announcers, huh?

You're a pathetic joke, and I for one will cherish the coming months as the Giants fade out of contention because their brilliant GM built a great pitching staff and an utterly shitty offense incapable of surviving the loss of a single player.

Since suggesting that I'd follow the Royals this year rather than M's things have turned for both teams.

If the true goal of the Royals ownership is to built a young, strong team & have them come up together, grow together, and finally all click together, I'd say they're not too far off from that happening.

OTOH, if their goal is to stockpile a bunch of desirable young, tough talent that they can ship off and turnover, hell, they're already their. Lots of desirable players on that roster.

For the sake of a once-great franchise, I hope the former is the case, I really do.

I know I shouldn't get greedy but it really sucks when your ace matches against their ace and for eight innings you're the proverbial "bloop and a blast" away and can't get it done.

:excited::angry:

In those games I'd rather it just be blowout.

For so very many reasons, I hate to bring up the Posey matter again, but no one tried to answer my question! :angry:

Come on guys, you CAN do better! Why is it Kosher to run into a catcher, or knock over a SS or a 2nd baseman(how many serious knee injuries have we seen at 2nd base thru the years?) to cause a jarred ball or an errant throw...but to try to knock the ball out of the 1st baseman's glove, is the pussiest (real word? No red line under it! :wacko: ) moves in the game, and yet I have never heard of a career being ruined by that play.

I think Vin Scully cares alot.....IMO- he doesn't think partisan like you.

Very true.

I was just being sacastic.

TBH, he has always been one of my favorite announcers in spite of his affiliation.

Um.

Right, because someone roots for another team, they rejoice in injuries.... <_< Plus, we all know what a jerk Scully is... <_< <_<

Just a knee-jerk reaction.

I'm still feeling angry about the guy who lies in a coma because of a Dodger thug; just a bad response on my part.

Edited by GoodSpeak

For so very many reasons, I hate to bring up the Posey matter again, but no one tried to answer my question! :angry:

Come on guys, you CAN do better! Why is it Kosher to run into a catcher, or knock over a SS or a 2nd baseman(how many serious knee injuries have we seen at 2nd base thru the years?) to cause a jarred ball or an errant throw...but to try to knock the ball out of the 1st baseman's glove, is the pussiest (real word? No red line under it! :wacko: ) moves in the game, and yet I have never heard of a career being ruined by that play.

I don't understand your complaint at all. Slapping at the ball on a tag play while in the baseline? Of course its a pussy move, made more so if you deny it afterwards. Is your problem that its a move to break up a play that can't cause much damage, so it should be encouraged or applauded? :rolleyes: