Funky recommendations

Van Basten II

While ordering the excellent James Brown single series on Amazon I found a few compilations that you could find relatively cheap in some cass on Amazon UK or the US one.

Was wondering if any of you purchased and can recommend these sets.

Among them the funk series by state I guess

Florida Funk: 1968-1975 [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]

Midwest Funk: Funk 45's From Tornado Alley

Carolina Funk: First In Funk

The samples looked tasty.

Among the items I found that looked interesting were these

Funk Soul Sisters [iMPORT]

Also there was a series called Funk Drops that looked interesting so anybody can give me a two thumbs up or are they other compilations that could be worth it, oh yes before someone asks for it I already have the big brown box What it is.

What you're getting into there is "cratedigger" territory, a lot of lot of local stuff that is, uh..."local" in every sense of the word, good, and bad, sometimes extremely so. I love the stuff myself, but I've been into it since it was new, so I have a high tolerance (bordering on love, really) for "local" funk. So if you want to go there, those are good collections.

If, otoh, the JB Stuff just wet/whetted your whistle for some more of the more "top shelf" stuff, there are other places I'd go first.

I'm not much help but just saying thanks for the links as I like what I hear from the Midwest Funk and plan on ordering it. I haven't sampled the others but am very curious. I too have been needing some new & different funk.

As far as recs, Rejuvenation by The Meters is top shelf.

I have the first three comps you listed, Van B. They've all got gems on them, the Midwest one is particularly good. All of those State-themed ones are worth getting. I have a lot of the tracks on the Funk Soul Sisters comp too, good stuff. If you're an eMusic subscriber, they have tons of comps on there too, including the State ones.

I have a few hundred compilations, many of them are funk-related stuff. For my money, the best ones were made by Soul Patrol Records and say "Natural" down the spine. There was also a great series on Electrostatic Records called Funkaphonix (I have the first six, not sure if there's more). If you ever lean toward the sound library end of things, the Dusty Fingers compilations are unreal, but I think they're bootlegs. As are the Ultimate Breaks & Beats comps.

The Westbound Records series were really cool too, some early Funkadelic 45s and other rarities. That What It Is box set on Atlantic is really good too. There's some remarkably solid comps on Charly as well (are those boots?).

I really like the funk revival bands, such as The Whitefield Brothers and JD & The Evil's Dynamite Band (Soul Fire Records).

The J.B.'s are another level, I agree with JSngry. And following Maceo & Fred to their solo efforts is worth the trip, as well as to the Funkadelic and Parliament albums. It simply doesn't get any funkier.

Love the Meters.

For another twist, if you like the Fela Kuti and that afrobeat sound at all, the Nigeria compilations on Soundway Records are unbelievably good.

Edited by Noj

Not sure if this fits the funk that y'all are discussing here, but because The Meters were mentioned, I feel compelled to recommend to you "Street Parade" under Earl King. This music has been repackaged at least once. No matter. This is one amazing album with The Meters as the rhythm section PLUS horn arrangements by Allen Toussaint.

1972. So good.

I almost forgot, the Funk Spectrum series was incredible. Anything with Keb Darge or Gilles Peterson or DJ Shadow doing the compiling is top rate.

Can't forget to mention the Mickey & The Soul Generation anthology either.

Can't go wrong with Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings or Lee Fields either!

The three volumes of James Brown's Funky People are all great too.

Already have all the Sharon Jones, gonna see Lee Fields during the Jazz Fest, am more and more interested to see him

Not a complete neophyte regarding funk, it's just that they were a lot of products with unfamiliar names especially the ones by state so I was wondering if someone could tip me regarding these, so thanks. Will probably add them in my next purchases.

Thanks to y'all

In the spirit of what my main man .:. recommended, here's a few other funky recommendations:

24 Carat Black - Ghetto: Misfortune's Wealth

Demon Fuzz - Afreaka!

Senor Soul - What It Is, Y'All: The Best Of...(1st incarnation of WAR)

Black Heat - Declassified Soul (4 albums on 2cds, was a 32Jazz thing, not sure if the individual albums are available)

Catalyst - The Funkiest Band You Never Heard (another 32Jazz 4fer)

Boscoe - Boscoe

Young/Holt Unlimited albums

Superfly Soul 2-disc comps on Union Square (compiled by Chas Chandler)

Eddie Fisher & The Next 100 Years

Gabor Szabo - Belsta River

Funk, Inc. albums

Cymande - Cymande

Syl Johnson albums

Luiz Bonfa - Jacaranda

For those with an interest in the Kashmere Stage Band of Houston, TX... http://trailers.appl...nt/thundersoul/

Damn! I've got that 2-CD compilation of the Kashmere Stage Band, and a movie about them could be very interesting!

My friend edited that film and I've seen it, and it's pretty damn funky & enjoyable. See it when it comes your way.

Get these:

512eTr40OJL._SS400_.jpg

Oh HELL yeah.

Anybody mention The Counts yet?

Not until you did! I dig The Counts! I have What's Up Front That Counts, good stuff.

They had this playing during my last in-store visit to the Bastards. Can't recall if I bought 2 or 3 copies. Nice ............!