Running Low/Last Chance

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember reading on the old board that some people weren't enamored with the last session or two on the Mitchell Mosaic. What do people here think of them? I'm on the fence on this one, with The Thing to Do coming out as an RVG in the summer, and would rather not buy a set that's got a lot of stuff I'll never listen to.

Big Wheel, do not hesitate. The entire set is good, including the last two sessions.

Turned out my girlfriend got me the set for Christmas. (She didn't get back from overseas until this week.) Will be checking out the music tomorrow!

Turned out my girlfriend got me the set for Christmas. (She didn't get back from overseas until this week.) Will be checking out the music tomorrow!

Note to self: get girlfriend

I must chime in and agree... the Blue Mitchell set really is fantastic.

I found it interesting that one of the session was unreleased because Alfred Lion didn't like the sound of Leo Wright's sax (that is the suspicion anyway)... I sure don't hear any problem!! In fact some of those tracks are among my favorites.

The session in question from the set:

(A) Mitchell, (tp), Joe Henderson (ts), Leo Wright (as), Herbie Hancock (p), Gene Taylor (B), Roy Brooks (d).

August 13, 1963

tk 4 Andrea LT-1092

tk11 Cry Me A River -

tk14 Mamacita -

tk15 Sweet And Lovely -

tk22 Step Lightly -

tk24 Bluesville -

The Blue box is an absolute delight from start to finish. I find it very difficult to just play one disc as I want to hear more. From the material with Henderson & Hancock to Cook & Corea and the Duke Pearson arrangements and everything in-between, it's terrific with nary a piece o' fluff on there.

I think I'm going to have to make Mosaic purchases not part of the music budget but take it out of something less essential, like clothing. Oh wait, I don't have a clothing budget. Well, I'll figure out something.

The Blue Mitchell box has me playing more Horace Silver, so the next Mosaic might have to be Mobley.

#3506.

I found it interesting that one of the session was unreleased because Alfred Lion didn't like the sound of Leo Wright's sax (that is the suspicion anyway)... I sure don't hear any problem!! In fact some of those tracks are among my favorites.

The session in question from the set:

(A) Mitchell, (tp), Joe Henderson (ts), Leo Wright (as), Herbie Hancock (p), Gene Taylor (B), Roy Brooks (d).

August 13, 1963

tk 4 Andrea LT-1092

tk11 Cry Me A River -

tk14 Mamacita -

tk15 Sweet And Lovely -

tk22 Step Lightly -

tk24 Bluesville -

I have that on a Japanese CD (have ordered the Mosaic a few days ago) and find it beautiful. Leo Wright's intonation is not the purest, but so was Jackie McLean's - Leo was a man of his own, and he wouldn't have landed a secure post in one of Germany's best radio big bands (RIAS Berlin) for many years if was an second class player. I have heard him play better than on this album, but the main reason for not releasing it was Mitchell and Junior Cook having their own regular band after Silver disbanded, and Lion preferred promoting working bands with his releases.

I think I'm going to have to make Mosaic purchases not part of the music budget but take it out of something less essential, like clothing. Oh wait, I don't have a clothing budget. Well, I'll figure out something.

The Blue Mitchell box has me playing more Horace Silver, so the next Mosaic might have to be Mobley.

I'm with you. I'm trying to figure out how to let myself be convinced (by myself and my avatar) that-- given the two month CD buying binge I have been on-- I have to have the Mobley. Maybe as a reward for not strangling my boss next week. Or last week :)

Then the JJ Johnson set and the Horace Parlan. Where's that hands-off, Sugar mama I've been waiting for when I need her?

Edited by chris

Yes, I'm scared straight by this news too.  Just placed my order.

I'm glad you guys scared me straight, too. I was sitting the fence on this one, and after hearing all four discs, there's no doubt I made the right call. Thanks for all the recommendations!

If there's anyone else out there still on the fence, consider the score: 29 - 0!!

:tup

• BFrank
  • Jazz Groove
  • Rooster Ties
  • sidewinder
  • mgraham333
  • sal
  • chris olivarez
  • Brad
  • king ubu
  • street singer
  • Jazzmoose
  • Alfred
  • Gary
  • Quincy
  • Out2Lunch
  • mikeweil
  • montg
  • Parkertown
  • JSngry
  • Leeway
  • wesbed
  • Uncle Skid
  • jackknife
  • chris
  • Big Wheel
  • Claypone
  • dig dis
  • Soulstation1
  • BruceH

:tdown

• (None)

edit: it's still 29-0 after the addition of BruceH. I have a hard time with this counting thing -- there were originally only 28. :wacko:

Edited by Uncle Skid