Jazz and Cinema

BillF

Got it! Robert Siodmak's "Phantom Lady" (1944). Ella Raines (alarming though she is in this scene) does not play the title character, Elisha Cook Jr. plays the drummer.

I was also having trouble coming up with the title. I saw this at Film Forum in Manhattan during one of their periodic film noir series.

Curiously, this is one of the hardest noirs to actually get on DVD. There is a Spanish-import and a much better quality French-import, both quite pricey. I'll probably hold off a bit longer to see if it is released in R1 at a more reasonable price.

Edited by ejp626

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread. I've written down half a dozen films to watch. Luckily, I have an independent movie rental store in the neighborhood that I suspect will have many of these.

:tup

Let us know what you think of them. :)

Will do, absolutely.

Robert Altman's "Kansas City" is among those near the top of my list.

I do remember a film noir with a very intense drummer and another musician (perhaps the bandleader)asking him if he was 'still seeing that psychotherapist?' The film had more of a '50s than '40s look, if I recall correctly, but it was so long ago....Sorry, Larry, have not a clue what the title may have been. Also do not remember Dana Andrews in it all. Perhaps it was another film entirely...

I remember clearly the ending though: the drummer by himself on the stand, deserted by everyone and not caring, banging away intensely and saying something like 'everything's cool now', or 'I don't need anything but to be cool and play'.

Does anyone here have any notion of what might be the title of the film I sketchily described? B/c now it's bugging me, and won't stop til I know. That last scene is a vivid memory, with the guy tripping on himself and his kit that way. The reference by the leader to seeing a shrink is my only other memory.

I'm sure it's Stone Age crapola, though.... Although probably no worse than The Connection, no doubt.

(Unfortunately, for some bizarre reason I cannot re-install Flashdrive, hence cannot view clips at the moment, so did not see those posted. But I have a feeling they're not from this, a '50s noir piece, for sure, and B all the way.)

I have a hard time seeing Elisha Cook, Jr. as a hep cat, lady's man. For me, he'll forever be typecast as the cheap gunsel, Wilmer, in The Maltese Falcon. Also, I can't find a clip from The Strip of MIckey Rooney playing the drums, but I'd say it isn't the first time he spent time behind a trap set. Cook, on the other hand, looks like he's in, and I mean way in, over his head.

I do remember a film noir with a very intense drummer and another musician (perhaps the bandleader)asking him if he was 'still seeing that psychotherapist?' The film had more of a '50s than '40s look, if I recall correctly, but it was so long ago....Sorry, Larry, have not a clue what the title may have been. Also do not remember Dana Andrews in it all. Perhaps it was another film entirely...

I remember clearly the ending though: the drummer by himself on the stand, deserted by everyone and not caring, banging away intensely and saying something like 'everything's cool now', or 'I don't need anything but to be cool and play'.

Does anyone here have any notion of what might be the title of the film I sketchily described? B/c now it's bugging me, and won't stop til I know. That last scene is a vivid memory, with the guy tripping on himself and his kit that way. The reference by the leader to seeing a shrink is my only other memory.

I'm sure it's Stone Age crapola, though.... Although probably no worse than The Connection, no doubt.

(Unfortunately, for some bizarre reason I cannot re-install Flashdrive, hence cannot view clips at the moment, so did not see those posted. But I have a feeling they're not from this, a '50s noir piece, for sure, and B all the way.)

Nobody then? I don't blame you. It's an obscure and not very good flick and I don't care that much myself. I was curious, but got over it.... :mellow:

"Stormy Weather" is a veritable history of jazz up to 1943, with Fats Waller, Cab Calloway, Lena Horne, the spectacular Nicholas Brothers, etc

"Underworld" By Oscar Micheaux, from 1937, is a drama but it has almost non-stop music including a choir and a swing band playing 1 or 2 Fletcher Henderson pieces, among others. I'd dearly love to know who the musicians are, especially a tenor sax soloist. A film scholar from Northwestern who is writing her PhD. thesis on Micheaux mentioned that lists of who worked / played in his movies are non-existent.

A couple months ago Doc Films, here in Hyde Park, had a series of movies, mostly musicals, with African-American casts, some with black directors, and "Underworld" and "Stormy Weather" were among them. Another was "Go Down Death" directed by Spencer Williams (born the same year and same state as Spencer Williams the songwriter, no relation). That one also had plenty of music. The last movie Williams directed was "Juke Joint" in 1947, made in Dallas, I believe, and including a bandleader named (in the movie) Red Calhoun. I'd love to see that, in hope that Red Calhoun is a misprint for Red Connors. Yeah, I know, far-fetched, but they're both Red.

Stormy Weather and and Nicholas Brothers for sure!

The Crimson Canary with Coleman Hawkins, Howard McGhee, Oscar Pettiford, Sir Charles Thompson, and Denzil Best playing “Sweet Georgia Brown”

The jazz club scene in D.O.A. (1950 version)

Here's Rooney on drums from "Strike Up the Band," but I think much of what he plays here is dubbed:

As for Cook Jr. in "Phantom Lady," his character is meant to be a hop-head loser (look at his eyes at the end of his solo), not a successful ladies man.

I poked around a bit on the 'net, interested in finding out the extent of Rooney's musical abilities. Just like Sammy Davis, Jr. he appears to have been a man of many talents. According to this article My link, he actually played the drums in "The Strip." I've also found references to his piano playing that liken him to Errol Garner. Interestingly enough, at one time he endorsed Slingerland drums.

"Stormy Weather" is a veritable history of jazz up to 1943, with Fats Waller, Cab Calloway, Lena Horne, the spectacular Nicholas Brothers, etc

"Underworld" By Oscar Micheaux, from 1937, is a drama but it has almost non-stop music including a choir and a swing band playing 1 or 2 Fletcher Henderson pieces, among others. I'd dearly love to know who the musicians are, especially a tenor sax soloist. A film scholar from Northwestern who is writing her PhD. thesis on Micheaux mentioned that lists of who worked / played in his movies are non-existent.

A couple months ago Doc Films, here in Hyde Park, had a series of movies, mostly musicals, with African-American casts, some with black directors, and "Underworld" and "Stormy Weather" were among them. Another was "Go Down Death" directed by Spencer Williams (born the same year and same state as Spencer Williams the songwriter, no relation). That one also had plenty of music. The last movie Williams directed was "Juke Joint" in 1947, made in Dallas, I believe, and including a bandleader named (in the movie) Red Calhoun. I'd love to see that, in hope that Red Calhoun is a misprint for Red Connors. Yeah, I know, far-fetched, but they're both Red.

This may or may not be of interest and or relevance: http://smu.edu/blackfilms/

The entire "Tyler, Texas Black Film Collection" on 3 DVDs for $50.00.

Edited by JSngry

• 3 months later...

"

David Meeker's Jazz on Film site lists:

Lorenzo Tucker, The Pope Sisters, Bobby Hargreaves Orchestra, The Six Sizzlers, Harlem’s Apache Chorus.

I'll ask Mark Cantor if he knows any other musicians in the film.

"

Lorenzo Tucker, The Pope Sisters, Bobby Hargreaves Orchestra, The Six Sizzlers, Harlem’s Apache Chorus.

Mark responded:

The Bobby Hargreaves orchestra is indeed a very obscure unit. Your film scholar associate is probably aware that there are two bands in Underworld....the Hargreaves band and the one led by Billy Hick, both with different personnels. At or around the time this film was made Bobby Hargreaves and his Orchestra was featured at the kit-Kat Club in New York City. In terms of the tenor saxophonist, I think that this may well be Sonny Fredericks, Jr. Frederick recorded around this time with both Red Allen and Buddy Johnson, and he solos on a half-dozen tracks, perhaps a few more. I have never made the time to compare his sound on the recordings to the tenor sax on soundtrack, and therefore (possibly) confirm his presence. If your researcher carries through on this, I would certainly like to hear back from him/her.

Clint Eastwood hosted an event at the Monterey Jazz Festival last September entitled, "Jazz in Cinema". needless to say, he had access to wonderful film clips going back to the '20s, i believe. Wendell Pierce was an excellent co-host who provided Treme, Spike Lee and Katrina-related clips. it was a fascinating couple of hours.

"

Mark responded:

The Bobby Hargreaves orchestra is indeed a very obscure unit. Your film scholar associate is probably aware that there are two bands in Underworld....the Hargreaves band and the one led by Billy Hick, both with different personnels. At or around the time this film was made Bobby Hargreaves and his Orchestra was featured at the kit-Kat Club in New York City. In terms of the tenor saxophonist, I think that this may well be Sonny Fredericks, Jr. Frederick recorded around this time with both Red Allen and Buddy Johnson, and he solos on a half-dozen tracks, perhaps a few more. I have never made the time to compare his sound on the recordings to the tenor sax on soundtrack, and therefore (possibly) confirm his presence. If your researcher carries through on this, I would certainly like to hear back from him/her.

Thanks, Medjuck and Mark. Especially, thanks for pointing out the existence of the Meeker site, though I'm disappointed. The credits to the J-P Melville film "Le Doulos" include Martial Solal but none of the other jazz musicians, and Meeker doesn't even mention Solal. No musicians named for Melville's "Le Samourai" either (saw it this week).

JSangry, thanks for pointing out the existence of that Tyler, TX film collection. I think Williams or Micheaux may have lived awhile in Tyler.

Contrary to the old jazz-underworld 1950s films, in "Sweet Smell of Success" the white jazz musician is not only the good guy, a black musician leads the band. The movie is said to be an anti-Senator McCarthy parable.

• 5 years later...