mp3 bargains

Chuck Nessa

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, mjzee said:

eMusic just added what looks like the entire ESP catalog.  Some good bargains here: Billie Holiday - Rare Live Recordings 1934-1959, $7.49; The Albert Ayler Story, $7.49.  eMusic also has that Sonny Rollins/Horace Silver Zurich 1959 on TCB for $5.99.

Very cool - thanks for the heads up! After the site upgrade there seems to be a lot of changes to the overall catalog.

I don't want MP3 files either. That's why I cancelled my subscription to Emusic years ago. 

But I'd think you'd want physical media to remain competitive. There's no guarantee it will be around forever, especially with younger generations that have grown up without. Pricing themselves out of the market doesn't seem like a wise choice, IMO. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

But I don't see how a physically manufactured disc can ultimately be competitive to files on a server somewhere. That would be like wishing for some irrational impossible thing to occur. What I'm satisfied with is that I can find a lot of what I want used, or I can buy new excellent budget reissues from Japan at what I was paying for new domestic cds last decade, and I'm getting better sound for my money. So in fact cd is competitive for me cost-wise with it's cost to me in the past, and I'm enjoying that. 

This really isn't the place for the discussion and I'm not really wanting to discuss. I'm just not interested in digital in non-physical form and realize that choice comes with a cost factor. I'm willing to pay that factor, though I shouldn't buy any more discs, I already have a third of my collection in storage as I don't have enough "approved" storage/display space in our tiny house in the woods. It's time to downsize but I know myself well enough to know that even if I did I'd still be acquiring discs.

Edited by jazzbo

Don't get me wrong, I completely get your point, and don't disagree with any of it (aside from our well-established differences in digital vs physical). 

There is no question that CD cannot compete 1:1 price-wise, but I think even you would have to agree that a $10 difference, or more, doesn't seem to be a wise business decision. $4-5? Sure, I don't see why not. And IMO, that would be competitive considering how much more you're getting with the CD. 

I don't have enough information about the cost differences between the two formats to say whether a 4 to 5 dollar difference is warranted. We're also talking about a European cd here and there is always going to be a cost to an import opposed to a domestic release, which is not an issue in this world of global digital. 

My feeling, based on what little I know, is that what we are seeing on average IS the competitive margins as if there were ways for one to be cheaper and still allow greedy owners and distributors and retailers to make the money they want that would be reflected in the price points we have. If they can't make enough profit, as buyers won't pay the price, the format will die. The structures of the two formats seem to handicap a format that needs to be manufactured, warehoused and shipped. I think we are seeing the basic cost differences we are ever likely to see and it's up to the buyer to choose how to spend the coin. 

Now I'm going back to spinning some Jobim on disc.

The Bull Moose Music price on the item under discussion has been brought to light before, as has the fact that it's an unusually high price for this item. The other/lower prices you see on Amazon and elsewhere are the norm.

shaZAM! https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01CQ2RPRK/ref=tmm_acd_new_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr

I will gladly/proudly/militantly buy new if I want to support a particular endeavor (artist/label/dealer/producer/whatever/etc) for any reason. Otherwise, I look for used/remaindered stock and am merciless about it. Unless artwork is trashed or jewelbox/digipack functionally useless, I go for the lowest price I don't know if I'm typical of what's left of the CD market, but the lower the price, the more I buy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...