Coltrane: The Impulse! Albums Volume Four

jostber

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this set is released by Hip-O, a Universal imprint, be prepared to pay just under $20 per disc; that's the price their sets usually go for.

Barnes and Nobles has it listed for 65 or so.

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/The-Impulse-Albums-Vol-4/John-Coltrane/e/602527768205

Makes me think this may be a more widely distributed/bigger press run than the usual Hip-O Select (?)

Edited by jazzbo

I welcome the release as well, but am wary of the price. I paid less than $40 for the other boxes on release day from a small independent shop. Assuming this one is the same layout & everything, $65 is an enormous rip-off.

As for the contents, At The Village Vanguard Again! and Expression are certain; how they handle the posthumous releases is something I wonder about. Will they follow vinyl releases or just deal with the titles previously released on CD? If the latter is the case, my guess on the other three are Sun Ship, Transition and Interstellar Space, but Om, First Meditations and Cosmic Music could also be possible?

Edited by colinmce

We've talked about this before a number of years ago, but I can't remember. Can someone please tell me the names of the posthumous albums which had not been approved for release by Coltrane?

As I recall, the first couple had been approved, and received five stars in Down Beat. Then came the others, which received only four stars.

Somebody explain to me the appeal of this set please. Haven't all of these titles been released before in a myriad of forms from their initial release? What am I missing here that would want to make me shell out $65 to own yet another reissue?

Somebody explain to me the appeal of this set please. Haven't all of these titles been released before in a myriad of forms from their initial release? What am I missing here that would want to make me shell out $65 to own yet another reissue?

Complete-ism, Collector-itis, minuscule mastering differences, etc. In other words, nothing that couldn't be easily left on the shelf.

Sidestepping the points Shawn makes, there's the mastering which in my opinion has been in the previous three volumes excellent enough to just forget other versions, and the fact that these are presented as copies of the original lps in track listing and packaging. For some of us, this was the way we first heard the music (in my case in the 'seventies) and it can be the way we'd like to experience them now. (I really enjoy that now.)

Sidestepping the points Shawn makes, there's the mastering which in my opinion has been in the previous three volumes excellent enough to just forget other versions, and the fact that these are presented as copies of the original lps in track listing and packaging. For some of us, this was the way we first heard the music (in my case in the 'seventies) and it can be the way we'd like to experience them now. (I really enjoy that now.)

OK, I can understand that, I guess. I didn't have any issues with the Impulse CDs, and personally like having the alternate tracks available. I did check out the Amazon reader reviews (FWIW! ); seems the first volume got raves for its remastering, while 2 and 3 (especially 3) got panned. I mostly listen to these on vinyl anyway happy.gif

Sidestepping the points Shawn makes

Yeah, unfortunately I've gotten real used to that.

I didn't say they weren't valid points.

OK, I can understand that, I guess. I didn't have any issues with the Impulse CDs, and personally like having the alternate tracks available. I did check out the Amazon reader reviews (FWIW! ); seems the first volume got raves for its remastering, while 2 and 3 (especially 3) got panned. I mostly listen to these on vinyl anyway happy.gif

Well, I don't really know what some people are hearing in these reviews. In the case of the third box I have two of the albums in lp facsimile Impulse gatefold cds from Japan just the year before. They as far as I can tell use the very same Kevin Reeves mastering as in the box, and they sound fantastic. (As does the box set version, they sound identical).

Anyway, I don't do vinyl any longer so like having these as they are. I sold a few of the extra versions I had but decided to keep the rest of the Japanese ones I have (k2 remastered and 24/192 versions) as I couldn't sell them at what I thought was a very low price, so just decided to keep them.

I can certainly see why anyone who has been collecting jazz for a while would avoid these box sets; I happen to really enjoy them, and they're good for the new collector imo.

Edited by jazzbo