More packaging "lunacy"

A Lark Ascending

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see what the problem is. Pink Floyd was known for their packaging and artwork. It fits, really. And it sure as hell beats a download!

As I recall they were primarily known for their music which was distinctive and different from other bands of the time (and, to my ears at least, music that still repays listening to whether for pure enjoyment or nostalgic reasons).

They also had distinctive sleeves. I'm not sure all the extra gimmicks began until around '73.

Well, doesn't the cover count as packaging?

I'd go for some vintage live releases, from the Meddle/Atom Heart Mother/Obscured by Clouds era. I'm not going for any of these rereleases unless they come down in price, but I don't object to them.

I'd go for some vintage live releases, from the Meddle/Atom Heart Mother/Obscured by Clouds era. I'm not going for any of these rereleases unless they come down in price, but I don't object to them.

I too am pining for some pre-DSotM material LIVE, especially like this (a track originally from Obscured by Clouds)...

link: Pink Floyd - Childhood's End (Brussels 1972)

Note: I've got this link cued up to start a little over a minute into the clip, when it starts to get good -- and at least stick around for Gilmour's sublime guitar-work around the 3-minute mark, followed shortly by a great Wright keyboard solo, and then some more great Gilmour.

I don't see what the problem is. Pink Floyd was known for their packaging and artwork. It fits, really. And it sure as hell beats a download!

As I recall they were primarily known for their music which was distinctive and different from other bands of the time (and, to my ears at least, music that still repays listening to whether for pure enjoyment or nostalgic reasons).

They also had distinctive sleeves. I'm not sure all the extra gimmicks began until around '73.

Well, doesn't the cover count as packaging?

Of course the cover counts as packaging. And can often be a major part of the experience - the cover of Atom Heart Mother is etched on my brain.

I'm just a bit cynical about the reissue business that invents all manner of brick-a-brack as a way of appealing to the collector mentality that we all possess in one form or another.

I just think it's a pity that the energy that goes into a project like this (reassembling what is essentially a relatively small body of music) into a new format is not used elsewhere - either bringing back other music that is lying languishing or in supporting new music. But as I said before, I'm sure they've done the sums. From a supply and demand point of view this obviously makes sense - and the sort of prices being quoted must be sustainable.

A small box of live material, without having to get the studio albums again, would have interested me. Especially pre-album release when the music was morphing into shape. A couple of the reissues seem to have an 'Experience' edition with a live other disc. But the DSotM one is a '76 concert. I'd imagine that would be a run through the album rather than the reaching towards the finished article you might get from a 72 recording.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I remember anxiously defrocking The Who's LP, Live at Leeds and having all manner of detritus tumble from the packaging. I thought back then there was no way anything could ever again rise to this level. Little did I know.

I used to love in the old Usenet days when every so often someone would drop by alt.music.who post "I just found an early contract for The Who and other documents, how much do you think these are worth?" :lol:

• 1 year later...

Well that's a long standing marketing trick too. Build in a minor defect, just enough to unsettle purchaser, so that they'll buy the next 'upgrade'.

£270 to spare?

http://www.spincds.com/coming-soon/the-complete-early-years-15cd-7-vinyl-box-set

And for £110!

http://www.spincds.com/box-sets/the-slider-40th-anniversary-box-set-2cds-1xdvd-1x180gram-vinyl-lp-3-x-7-singles-48-page-casebound-book

The horror! The horror!

So that's the entire Bealtes, T-Rex and Motörhead catalogue interpreted by Pink Floyd? :crazy:

I would only touch a box of Schnabel interpretations of Bealtes, T-Rex and Motörhead.

Remember the days when you had shelves of cheapo CDs at gasoline station stops and everywhere, and they all had these notes: "recordings by original artists"?

Here's a box of Schnabel for you:

behrend-schnabeltasse-kunststoff.png

:w

What, no hat? I do like The Slider, enough to have bought a 2 disc edition several years ago and I do play the extras and enjoy them. But this is another tombstone I can pass on.

Well that's a long standing marketing trick too. Build in a minor defect, just enough to unsettle purchaser, so that they'll buy the next 'upgrade'.

£270 to spare?

http://www.spincds.com/coming-soon/the-complete-early-years-15cd-7-vinyl-box-set

Do they throw in a complementary ear trumpet?

Delivered by Valkyrie, I'm told.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some sets you can brag about down at the wine club in the full knowledge no-one else will have them:

http://www.theelectricrecordingco.com/

"I say old chap, I have some exquisite Schnabel."

"Schnabel? Pah! You should see my Electric Recording Co. exclusive sets - why they feature iconic 'Holy Grail' recordings by the most revered classical performers."