European Impulse! 2-on-1 CD reissues

J.A.W.

Indeed!

#15 is "In My Old Virginia Home (On the River Nile)" - have the disc in my hands as I'm typing this (a co-worker got it... and don't worry, he's the only co-worker ever that I met so far that's into jazz...)

There are 16 tracks on the dsics, according the facsimiles of the two fold-outs, "Soul Trombone" had 6 tracks and "Cabin in the Sky" had then.

So without yet having aural evidence, it seems to be there!

For further information, check the site of Universal Germany here:http://www.jazzecho.de/musik/musikproduktdetail/product/176340/soul-trombone-cabin-in-the-sky/

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

A new batch of these twofers is slated for release at the end of this month

15 more are already listed on the Grooves-Inc site

Some mouth watering stuff here (I think very little has had previous CD release, except maybe in japan)

I quickly jotted these down so don't have the LP names

Sonny Criss

John Handy

Blue Mitchell

Sonny Stitt

Keith Jarrett

Mel Brown

Howard Roberts

Marion Brown

Oliver Nelson/Hank Jones

Charles Mingus

Alice Coltrane

Freddie Hubbard

Clark Terry

Michael White

Chico Hamilton

with album titles:

African Violet / Summer Soft: Mitchell,Blue

El Chico / Further Adventures Of El Chico: Hamilton,Chico

Geechee Recollections / Sweet Earth Flying: Brown,Marion

Happenings / Soulful Brass: Nelson,Oliver/Jones,Hank/Allen,Steve

Hard Work / Carnival: Handy,John

Hungtington Ashram Monastery / World Galaxy: Coltrane,Alice

Mysteries / Shades: Jarrett,Keith

Now! / Salt & Pepper: Stitt,Sonny

Spirit Dance / Pneuma: White,Michael

The Artistry Of / The Body And The Soul: Hubbard,Freddie

The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady / Mingus : Mingus,Charles

The Happy Horns Of / It's What's Happenin': Terry,Clark

The Joy Of Sax / Warm And Sonny: Criss,Sonny

The Wizard / Blues For We: Brown,Mel

covers can be seen here

http://www.jazzecho.de/musik/vorschau/

with album titles:

covers can be seen here

Looking at the reviews in AMG these seem to be a mixture of lost gems and clunkers.

Apart from Mingus, Keith Jarrett and Freddie Hubbard I don't recall that any of the others have ever been generally available before.

Are there any lost gems here?

Some of these look pretty interesting, while others are completely pointless (Mingus and Hubbard, mostly).

Can anyone say anything about the Handy? Is it horrible, is it good? Can be anything with him...

Also, how about the Nelson/Jones+Nelson/Allen and the Blue Mitchell? All rather on the easy side, I assume?

And the White?

(Not asking for line-ups, can check that myself, rather asking about quick impressions on the music!)

Some of these look pretty interesting, while others are completely pointless (Mingus and Hubbard, mostly).

Can anyone say anything about the Handy? Is it horrible, is it good? Can be anything with him...

Also, how about the Nelson/Jones+Nelson/Allen and the Blue Mitchell? All rather on the easy side, I assume?

And the White?

(Not asking for line-ups, can check that myself, rather asking about quick impressions on the music!)

If you enjoy the John Handy of the Mingus Jazz Workshop, and his Roulette and Columbia recordings, you will be rather disappointed by Hard Work, which is a typical '70s era commercialization of a jazz artist. Hard Work was a semi-hit for Handy (the title track anyway). I hate that song. Carnaval goes even further along that dire path.

Edited by kh1958

with album titles:

covers can be seen here

Looking at the reviews in AMG these seem to be a mixture of lost gems and clunkers.

Apart from Mingus, Keith Jarrett and Freddie Hubbard I don't recall that any of the others have ever been generally available before.

Are there any lost gems here?

The two Chico Hamilton LPs.

And the White?

If I recall correctly, Hank Jones plays electric piano on Happenings. This one and Soulful brass are both in the category of Impulse's embarrassing mis-fires.

For those for whom such things matter, Salt & Pepper pairs Stitt w/Paul Gonsalves. File under Neither Sucks Nor Soars, imo.

The two Clark Terry dates have "commercial" concepts, but both are actually quite spirited, and could well delight many. File under Fun & Frisky.

Another plug for the two Hamilton sides. Lloyd is all but gone here, but Stinson isn't, & Gabor steps out quite nicely to make up the difference. Plus, there's two tracks w/Harold Land that are worth the cost of admission their own selves.

And what the hell, I'll put in recs for the Mel Brown & Sonny Criss items, fully stipulating that both were produced and aimed squarely at "the marketplace". Oh well!

I had the Handy's on LP and I don't recommend them for jazz purposes, but I do like the title track of Hard Work for its mild catchiness (I believe it was used in an ad...). The cover of Carnival is all you really need to know about that one.

I know Pneuma, which I guess I don't play er much. I'm curious to know what the Blue Mitchell is like.

Some of these are most definitely minor records and quite niche product, quite a surprise in a way that they are doing them.

Can't argue with that one though, can you!

Edited by David Ayers

Some nice ones, a few duds and some I haven't heard. I'm not sure about Chico Hamilton's The Further Adventures of El Chico with tracks like "Got My Mojo Working", "Monday, Monday", etc. Same goes for the Gabor Szabo twofer, with tracks like "The Beat Goes On", "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and "People"...

Edited by J.A.W.

Well, I like the Hamilton and the Szabo. They're jazz versions of then current hits. And they bring something to them that makes them worth recording in my opinion. If it's possible to hear some of these tracks via a blog or sales site I recommend checking them out.

I had the Handy's on LP and I don't recommend them for jazz purposes, but I do like the title track of Hard Work for its mild catchiness (I believe it was used in an ad...).

It was a BBC Radio 1 'featured single' back in 1976, believe it or not. Almost made TOTP ! I even still have the 45rpm single somewhere.

Well, I like the Hamilton and the Szabo. They're jazz versions of then current hits. And they bring something to them that makes them worth recording in my opinion. If it's possible to hear some of these tracks via a blog or sales site I recommend checking them out.

We have wildly different tastes, both sonically and musically, and listening to the music samples of the complete Szabo twofer on Amazon Germany confirmed that: I didn't like what I heard and that's putting it mildly :)

They didn't have samples of the Hamilton twofer yet.