Nat King Cole

Jazz

It's closer to one of the dark Sinatra albums, definitely.

For a single cut, this is absolute perfection. Total pocket, and thank your diety of choice that this is preserved on a record. There is nothing else where the band so totally  gives it up. Perfection, every single note. and I don't think you get that without Nat  taking that tempo and making sweet foreplay love to it.

Also, be sure to check out the Snader Transcription trio videos, which were made for the early days of TV if they had to fill time.  The trio by this time included Irving Ashby on guitar and Joe Comfort on bass.  On some videos, they did some weird things with makeup to lighten Cole's complexion, but once you get past that, there is much to like here.  

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I wonder how many times that song was recorded on Capitol....and how much in royalties Johnny Mercer made from them.

Hey, if you own a stake in the label and you got good songs, why not?

Sinatra's version on Come Dance With Me is pretty great too.  That album seems to be overlooked among his Capitol albums.  

• 2 weeks later...

The first version of After Midnight that I bought in the 1970s was a 10 track reissue that deleted two tracks. I found a used original, then an import lp with bonus tracks, the Mosaic set, then I think there was another cd reissue with additional music.

Edited by Ken Dryden

1 hour ago, Ken Dryden said:

The first version of After Musnight that I bought in the 1970s was a 10 track reissue that deleted two tracks. I found a used original, than an import lp with bonus tracks, the Mosaic set, then I think there was another cd reissue with additional music.

Yes, the CD has 5 bonus tracks for a total of 17.

I even have a French LP reissue with all 17 tracks, but it teeters into groove-cramming territory.  Luckily, because it is mono, you can hit the mono button and reduce distortion.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2022 at 7:02 AM, Late said:

I realized I didn't have this title in my collection. Purchased.

41R7M1GVGYL._SY580_.jpg

I've had After Midnight for decades, but not this one.

Listened to this yesterday. Great vocals, but I don't know what to make of Jenkins' arrangements yet. It's like being stuck in a swimming pool full of Cool Whip.