Songwriter Jerry Leiber has died

J.A.W.

Songwriter Jerry Leiber of Leiber/Stoller fame has died. He was 78.

Rolling Stone obit

Just recently have been enjoying the 3 volumes of Lieber-Stoller songs in the Ace songwriters' series. A great loss of a tremendous talent.

Pity Ace didn't always pick the original hit versions of the songs.

Edited by J.A.W.

Well, I just listened to Poison Ivy on spotify, and to say that it is about an STD is quite a stretch. It's like the person who sees a double entendre in everything.

According to Songfacts: The song is about a femme fatale who is beautiful but dangerous, and much like poison ivy, can get under your skin and make you sick - or at least that's what we thought until 2009, when Leiber revealed in "Hound Dog: The Leiber & Stoller Autobiography": "'Poison Ivy' is a metaphor for a sexually transmitted disease - or the clap."

Well, I just listened to Poison Ivy on spotify, and to say that it is about an STD is quite a stretch. It's like the person who sees a double entendre in everything.

"It's gonna take an ocean of calamine lotion?" I never heard of that being a remedy for the clap. I agree. It's a stretch.

Enjoyed a lot of their songs over the years! Them and Doc Pomus.

"It's gonna take an ocean of calamine lotion?" I never heard of that being a remedy for the clap. I agree. It's a stretch.

Enjoyed a lot of their songs over the years! Them and Doc Pomus.

I never knew or cared what it was really about. Just like millions of other people, as it turns out. It cracked me up as a kid. Instant connection to hilarious images. That's all I needed to know about it and why it stood out among so much cookie-cutter teen angst dreck.

For years I used to see a big band record of theirs in the remainder pile of record stores. By the time I realized it was basically the Basie band I couldn't find it any more.

(Almost the) same here (I did not see the album around my places).

leiberstoll_yaketyyak_101b.jpg

It has been reissued on CD.

Great lineup: Ernie Royal, Jimmy Nottingham, Joe Newman, Sonny Cohn (tp) Frank Rehak, Benny Powell, Henry Coker, Al Grey (tb) Marshal Royal (as) Frank Wess (as,fl) Frank Foster, Billy Mitchell (ts) Seldon Powell (ts,fl) Charlie Fowlkes (bar) Hank Jones (p) Freddie Green (g) Eddie Jones (b) Sonny Payne (d).

Ellis Larkins and Kenny Burrell also show up!

Do you think they were going to write about needing penicillin, or maybe the fact that it hurts when you piss? :rolleyes:

I don't need to examine the lyrics to decide if it could be about the clap or not. I believe the guys who wrote it when they say the song was inspired by STDs. Just because they had to write it knowing full well what could be recorded and aired on the radio doesn't mean that their description of the inspiration isn't true.

Do you think they were going to write about needing penicillin, or maybe the fact that it hurts when you piss? :rolleyes:

I don't need to examine the lyrics to decide if it could be about the clap or not. I believe the guys who wrote it when they say the song was inspired by STDs. Just because they had to write it knowing full well what could be recorded and aired on the radio doesn't mean that their description of the inspiration isn't true.

Let's not forget the fact that the song's lyrics work quite well without any underlying meaning. With two older brothers warning me about the perils of dating and of girls in general, Poison Ivy served as a reminder of what could happen to you if allowed yourself to get too close. ^_^

Edited by sonnymax

Exactly.