Miscellaneous Curiosities

patricia

I thought I'd start a thread to help us with all those weird little things that we wondered about, but didn't know how or where to find the answer.

There must be other odd things that have puzzled other people, that could be cleared up, so.........

I'll start:

I didn't know where to ask, so I hope that somebody will answer a question which has plagued me for years.

Record-players evolved over the years, from the crank '78RPM, to later ones which had '78RPM, '45RPM, 33 1/3RPM and..........16RPM.

Now, of course I'm familiar with the first three, but, has anyone ever seen a record which played at 16RPM?? Were they common?? Are there any out there??

I have no idea what they looked like. Oddly, the 16RPM setting was only available for a short time, but there must have been records, formatted to that speed.

Help me out here. :unsure:

Edited by patricia

I had a children's storybook that came with a 16 rpm disc. The disc was the same size as a standard 45, though since the speed was slower it played longer.

At the bottom of this page are a few comments about 16 rpm discs.

The condensed version:

First developed in Germany they were used for spoken word records including the Talking Books For The Blind program in the US. The advantage of the longer playing time disappeared upon the appearance of cassette tapes.

A player that could play 16s was also useful in making the Chipmunks sound more like Tennessee Ernie Ford.

Edited by Quincy

Back in the late 80's and early 90's (when I was in college), I think the college radio station I worked at had one old turntable that could play 16rpm. Or maybe it was the AM/FM "Moldy Oldies"/"Top 40" pair of sister stations I worked at part-time, in the same little town where I went to college. Anyway, I know I've seen one at some point, and lord knows the equipment at all three of those stations had some relics that were still in use, even as late as about 1990.

Not 'heavy' use, but they were all wired up, plugged in, and they still worked.

My parents had a record player taht could play at 16 rpm, but no records for that speed. I remember having lots of fun playing my records at slower speed, sounded weird.

I know Prestige did a handful of 16 rpm LPs in the late 1950s, there was a thread on this here - never saw one of these.

I had a children's storybook that came with a 16 rpm disc. The disc was the same size as a standard 45, though since the speed was slower it played longer.

At the bottom of this page are few comments about 16 rpm discs.

The condensed version:

First developed in Germany they were used for spoken word records including the Talking Books For The Blind program in the US. The advantage of the longer playing time disappeared upon the appearance of cassette tapes.

A player that could play 16s was also useful in making the Chipmunks sound more like Tennessee Ernie Ford.

Thank you, Quincy. It makes sense that an instructional record would benefit from a longer playing time.

Puzzling though, why the producers of those discs wouldn't have just used the 33 1/3 format.

Loved the comment about making the Chipmunks sound like Tennessee Ernie Ford. My older brother used to play my father's Ella LP's on 78RPM and risk execution. Ella sounded like one of the Chipmonks.

Dad was convinced that not treating a record properly was akin to blasphemy. My brother had found the key to Dad's record cabinet [always kept locked, against possible invasion by my three brothers and me] and it was very daring of my brother to even touch the forbidden albums, much less play them at the wrong speed. Kids these days don't have the option of amusing themselves with such simple tom-foolery. :blink:

Edited by patricia

Do you mean that you set the needle at what would be the end of the side and it would play backwards??  How??

Yup, that's how it is/was. 16" radio transcription discs were like this too. In those days the physics of an arm and needle moving inward caused excess friction on the outer groove wall. This was an effort to ease that pressure. Ah, the days of vinyl.

My edit changed the word "inner" to "outer".

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Yes. You put the needle on the inside part of the album and it spirals OUT. The albums themselves were called "Counterrevolutionary Music for In-Store-Play".

One was R&B tunes by "Con Funk Shun", "Kool & the Gang" and more. The other album was rock with "Southside Johnny", "John Cougar" (before Mellancamp), "Scorpions", etc.

Seeing the "needle goes from the inside to the outside" record reminded me of the Monty Python LP with one side that had TWO separate grooves, so that depending on the luck of where you dropped the needle, the program was either one thing, or another thing -- two entirely separate 13-minute recordings -- on the SAME side of the record!!! :blink::blink::blink: Now that was one fucked up idea!!! :wacko::wacko::wacko:

My uncle used to have that album, and I remember trying to tape it once - and not being able to figure out why "side 2" was so much shorter than side one. :huh: And I can't remember if I figured out the separate groove thing or not, at the time.

Turntables that played at 16 2/3 RPM came in handy for transcribing solos and tunes off of 33 1/3 RPM LPs, since half speed means that the record is slower, obviously, but also exactly an octave lower. So you could learn the stuff in the right key and work it up to proper speed. No other speed combination worked like that - if you slowed a 45 down to 33 1/3, you'd have to switch keys to get the slower transcription into the right one.

By the same logic, 16 2/3 could be a big help in figuring out fast and densely voiced ensemble passages.

yup, that's Matching Tie and Handkerchief, it was recently reissued on CD I saw. Don't work no more on those shiny little disks

REALLY??? I had that record and I didn't know that. I just played it and it was a straight record. It was a long time ago and I don't have it anymore. "The Cheese Shop" sketch was one of the tracks. The cover was a suited torso, with a really ugly matching [i believe yellow polka-dotted] tie and pocket handkerchief.

Again. REALLY???

Seeing the "needle goes from the inside to the outside" record reminded me of the Monty Python LP with one side that had TWO separate grooves, so that depending on the luck of where you dropped the needle, the program was either one thing, or another thing -- two entirely separate 13-minute recordings -- on the SAME side of the record!!!

I remember sometime in the 70s Henny Youngman released an album, I think on RCA, which had two or three grooves per side. You never knew what jokes you were going to hear.

DAMN!!! Again, I say, really?? I had that record [the Monty Python one] for years and it always ran the same way. Was I missing half the yuks?? Is it possible that I always set the needle the same way, every time I listened to the record?

Now I feel that I cheated myself. Holy Man! :huh::blink:

Edited by patricia