8 beers whose sales have plummeted

Here's an article about eight American beers whose sales have plummeted in the past five years.

Number one on the list is Michelob. When I was sixteen, popular price beers cost a quarter, regular beers cost 30 cents, and the premium beers cost 35 cents. I would spend the extra nickel and order a Michelob, and no one ever thought to card me!

Anheuser Busch has a number of beers on the list. Perhaps their marketing or their management has been below par since they were sold to that Belgian company.

http://247wallst.com/2011/09/09/the-eight-beers-americans-no-longer-drink/

By the way, for me it's not enough to say that the beers are no good. That doesn't explain the recent sales decline. They weren't any good five years ago either!

Old Milwaukee is the flagship of the high-end products made by faltering Pabst Brewing Company

I like PBR as much as the next hipster, but if Old Milwaukee is at the high end, please don't tell me what Pabst's low-end products are. :bad:

The article itself explains why this is happening: the beers are just as shitty as they've always been, but America is finally waking up to craft beer. Decent, widely available American beer - one more thing America should thank Jimmy Carter for!

BW, really the shift is due to light beers apparently. For example, Old Milwaukee Light didn't make the list!

Not really. If there were really a net shift to light beers what you'd see is that light beer sales would be increasing. Instead they're merely not decreasing. Some people may be switching from crap regular beer to crap light beer, but if that's the case roughly as many are also switching from crap light beer to imports/craft beer.

.... and nothing against Belgian beers, please - there's none better!

Um, I beg to differ, amigo! :cool:

805-alpirsbacher-klosterbrau-weizen-hefe-hell-fut.jpg

Yeah... I'm sure we'd get along well and try out plenty of great beers together!

I love the variety, there's so much good stuff... yet most people fall for drafts and Heineken and other such crap... hell, even light beer!

Btw, I think I had some distant relatives in Alpirsbach... even was there on a visit once. But that was when I was in too tender an age to drink beer.

Slightly OT, but I read an article yesterday about Procter and Gamble (the "quintessential" middle-class US brand company). Because of the "disappearing US middle class" (the country is increasingly divided between wealthy and "have-nots"), P&G is moving away from "middle ground" and concentrating on high-end and low-end brands.

While the move to light beer is highly significant, I expect the same thing is happening in beers. I figure "middle-class" brews are hurting, while craft/import (premium) and el-cheapo brands are more than holding their own. [i no longer drink alcohol, so can't speculate about particular brands.]

Slightly OT, but I read an article yesterday about Procter and Gamble (the "quintessential" middle-class US brand company). Because of the "disappearing US middle class" (the country is increasingly divided between wealthy and "have-nots"), P&G is moving away from "middle ground" and concentrating on high-end and low-end brands.

While the move to light beer is highly significant, I expect the same thing is happening in beers. I figure "middle-class" brews are hurting, while craft/import (premium) and el-cheapo brands are more than holding their own. [i no longer drink alcohol, so can't speculate about particular brands.]

this makes a lot of sense--too much sense. thx.