Who of the youngish musicians does have a signature sound?

A Lark Ascending

Jason Scott (tenor), Bob Miller (trumpet), JC Kuhl (tenor), Pinson Chanselle (drums), Frank Rosaly (drums), Josh Berman (trumpet), Reggie Pace (trombone), Pandelis Karayoris (Rhodes), Matt Bauder (tenor- tone and stylistically), Nate Wooley (trumpet), Bryan Hooten (trombone), Scott Burton (guitar), Brian Jones (drums), Keefe Jackson (tenor), in no order off the top of my head.

Does Pandelis fit age requirement? If so, plenty more names spring up!

• 3 months later...

Jeff:

I continue to be impressed by Christopher and his ability to craft a distinctive and personal sound. I recently picked up this second duo with Tom McDermott (having apparently missed this post) and have been enjoying it immensely.

At your recommendation, I also picked up the live date from the Meridien and concur with your assessment.

2 trad players: Evan Christopher, of New Orleans, a sort of Creole Artie Shaw in sound and style.

I'm not sure I can hear a signature sound in Evan Christopher ( - not criticising at all, it's my ears that are not tuned enough). There are so few clarinet players around all I hear (as with Ken Peplowski) is glorious clarinet. Certainly a player whose records I look out for (thanks to Jeff's championing).

Evan was one name I thought of right away when I saw this thread. I hear his influences, but they're so varied and so thoroughly absorbed that I mostly just hear Evan. I was disappointed that he didn't seem to be in town when I was in New Orleans last week, but I did pick up a great new album by him and pianist Tom McDermott (also one of my favorites).

615r9ZGB03L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

• 11 years later...

I'll toss in Immanuel Wilkins, and altoist who I think has a unique signature sound and whose playing and writing are worth checking out. I first discovered him via his work with Joel Ross and then his own leader dates.

And on piano, Lafayette Gilchrist. He has amazing hands and a clear personal vision for his music.

Patrick Bartley on alto has pretty personal thing. I once commented that his tone reminded me of the SID(synthesizer on a chip) from the old Commodore64 computer. I then worried I might have offended him, but he replied quite positively as if that was precisely the sound he was going for.

6 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Darius Jones on alto 42

Nice one.

16 hours ago, Jack Pine said:

Patrick Bartley on alto has pretty personal thing. I once commented that his tone reminded me of the SID(synthesizer on a chip) from the old Commodore64 computer. I then worried I might have offended him, but he replied quite positively as if that was precisely the sound he was going for.

Where would you start with him?