Update on Bobby Hutcherson's health

CJ Shearn

Last night I saw the SF Jazz Collective at Binghamton University (great concert) and I spoke with Eric Harland after the gig. I asked him how Bobby's doing as he was a member until 2007, he said he is doing much better though he gets so out of breath when he plays. Said how Hutch always was joking around and telling funny stories, Harland is a really cool guy to be around. We talked a bit about Charles Lloyd too.

This was Bobby at the May 17 SF Jazz Center groundbreaking. He seemed OK, but was using oxygen. Nice to see him, for sure.

DSCN3348.JPG

yes, he's using oxygen all the time now. he's still got his chops though. aside from his health problems, he was dealt a very heavy blow recently with the passing of Eddie Marshall.

This was Bobby at the May 17 SF Jazz Center groundbreaking. He seemed OK, but was using oxygen. Nice to see him, for sure.

DSCN3348.JPG

yes, he's using oxygen all the time now. he's still got his chops though. aside from his health problems, he was dealt a very heavy blow recently with the passing of Eddie Marshall.

Dumb question of the day: who is/was Eddie Marshall?

DSCN3348.JPG

you need to do your homework, Big Al!! happy researching!

DSCN3348.JPG

An excellent drummer.

http://www.mercurynews.com/music/ci_18858967

DSCN3348.JPG

Eddie was a staple of Bay Area jazz for decades and, with James Leary, the virtual house band at Keystone Korner.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Bobby tonight in attendance at an SFJazz event: Javon Jackson, Mulgrew Miller, Jimmy Cobb, Nat Reeves.

He was looking quite frail. I don't know if he was just having a bad night or what. :(

the fact is, unfortunately, that Bobby is quite frail but i'm SO glad that he got out to hear his buddies play all that good music. i'm hearing the same group here in L.A. tomorrow night.

Saw Bobby tonight in attendance at an SFJazz event: Javon Jackson, Mulgrew Miller, Jimmy Cobb, Nat Reeves.

He was looking quite frail. I don't know if he was just having a bad night or what. :(

the fact is, unfortunately, that Bobby is quite frail but i'm SO glad that he got out to hear his buddies play all that good music. i'm hearing the same group here in L.A. tomorrow night.

That's what I thought. I know he got to spend some time backstage which must have been fun for him.

Enjoy the show! Nothing groundbreaking, but the music is top-shelf.

• 2 months later...