Jazz Committee For Latin American Affairs

romualdo

Have been listening to the recent TOCJ CD release of this interesting live session in Rio (1961) - Dorham, Fuller, Sims, Cohn, Mann, Ball, Tucker, Bailey, Mantilla, Abdul-Malik in various combinations

The original FM issue of "Jazz Committee For Latin American Affairs" contained 6 tracks

1. Red Door

2. Lover Man

3. Ismaaa

4. It's All Right With Me

5. Autumn Leaves

6. Wee Dot

The West Wind LP & CD reissues (Hot Stuff From Brazil) also contain 6 titles BUT replace "Lover Man" & "Ismaaa" with "Halley's Comet" & "A Night In Tunisia"

Are these new titles that were not released on the original LP or just misnomers for the original titles.

Anyone with copy of the WW releases interested in having a listen to confirm?

I have the vinyl release and the Jazz Door CD 'Hot Stuff from Brazil' (same as the WestWind CD).

'Halley's Comet' is by Al Cohn and Zoot Sims (from the same concert as 'Red Door'.

'Night in Tunisia' is by the full ensemble (with Dorham, Fuller, Mann, etc...).

The rest of the other titles that appear on the CD versions only are by Chris Connor with Ronnie Ball, Ben Tucker and Dave Bailey.

Regarding TOCJ's & extra titles - I usually expect that Japanese reissue CD's replicate the original LP - extra titles/alternates etc are uncommon (the recent Mariano/Dodgion Beauties of 1918 TOCJ was an exception - it includes "Vamp's Blues" - JWC only)

Yes, it bugs me but these recent TOCJ's sound so good (compared to releases of the late 80's & 90's)

Edited by romualdo

• 4 weeks later...

I have the vinyl release and the Jazz Door CD 'Hot Stuff from Brazil' (same as the WestWind CD).

'Halley's Comet' is by Al Cohn and Zoot Sims (from the same concert as 'Red Door'.

'Night in Tunisia' is by the full ensemble (with Dorham, Fuller, Mann, etc...).

The rest of the other titles that appear on the CD versions only are by Chris Connor with Ronnie Ball, Ben Tucker and Dave Bailey.

Hum... got the WestWind last year and bought the EMI Japan reissue last week - haven't played that one yet, but the price was right and there's two new tunes.

My question though: what do you mean with the last part of your post, brownie? What "other titles" are you talking of, and on what CD versions are they to be found?

As for the album-only policy... I don't get it either, but I fully agree that these recent Japanese reissues are sounding good and I'm glad to have them. (One where I'm really pissed about the absence of the bonus tracks though, is the Groove Holmes with Webster!)

My question though: what do you mean with the last part of your post, brownie? What "other titles" are you talking of, and on what CD versions are they to be found?

The Chris Connor titles on the JazzDoor CD are:

Day In, Day Out

Hallelujah, I Love Him So

Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most

I Get a Kick out of You

Blow, Gabriel, Blow

That CD:

51kbMFsiTZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The same titles are also on the WestWind CD.

Edited by brownie

I thought we were talking of the WestWind CD with four tracks identical with the FM album and two additional tracks... guess there were TWO WestWind/JazzDoor CDs, then?

The WestWind disc I have looks like this:

Ym4wMDY1.jpg

And what romualdo wrote in the first post fits:

The West Wind LP & CD reissues (Hot Stuff From Brazil) also contain 6 titles BUT replace "Lover Man" & "Ismaaa" with "Halley's Comet" & "A Night In Tunisia"

So the one you pictured, brownie, has music that is not on the KD WestWind disc?

Does it contain the two FM-album-tracks missing on that one?

Don't know for sure what is on the WestWind. The KD tracks on the JazzDoor CD are 'Wee Dot', 'A Night in Tunesia' (Sic), 'Autumn Leaves'.

Neither 'Lover Man', nor 'Ismaa' are on the JazzDoor CD.

Same on the blue KD-pic WestWind disc - but I still don't get where the Chris Connor titles can be found!

There is also this one that I have on an Epic/Sony cd.

Curtis Fuller Quintet - South American Cookin'

with Zoot Sims, Tommy Flanagan, Jymie Merritt, Dave Bailey

5 of the 6 tracks were recorded in South America in July of 1961 which is the same month when the

Jazz Committee For Latin American Affairs session was recorded in Brazil.

one track on the Curtis Fuller session was recorded in New York.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a bit confused. Which two tracks are not on the TOCJ that should be, and do either of them have KD on them? What are the 6 tracks that are on the TOCJ, and which have KD on them?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

The recent TOCJ CD replicates the original FM LP (FM 403) which contained 6 titles - Dorham plays on three of the titles

Red Door

Lover Man

Ismaaa - septet with KD (8:17)

It's All Right With Me

Autumn Leaves - quartet with KD (2:58)

Wee Dot - nonet with KD (13:16)

The West Wind Dorham CD/LP (Hot Stuff From Brazil) contains the last 4 titles (omits Red Door & Lover Man) but adds

Halley's Comet

A Night In Tunisia

Don't have this CD so not sure if Dorham plays on these but I presume he does

I suppose these are the two titles you are referring to?

Japanese reissues don't usually add extra titles - most of the time they stick to the original LP format

The West Wind omits "Lover Man" and "Ismaa"!

KD is on "A Night in Tunisia" (KD, Fuller, Mann, Ball, Tucker, Bailey, Mantilla), but not on "Halley's Comet" (Al & Zoot w/Ball, Tucker, Bailey).

Me, I'm still confused about the "other" (?) existing LP(s?)... Chris Connor? Where are her tracks to be found? Any legitimate release? Another West Wind boot? And how many different LPs were there ever made from these dates?

KD is on "A Night in Tunisia" (KD, Fuller, Mann, Ball, Tucker, Bailey, Mantilla), but not on "Halley's Comet" (Al & Zoot w/Ball, Tucker, Bailey).

Me, I'm still confused about the "other" (?) existing LP(s?)... Chris Connor? Where are her tracks to be found? Any legitimate release? Another West Wind boot? And how many different LPs were there ever made from these dates?

The Chris Connor Titles (5 - with trio of Ronnie Ball, Ben Tucker & Dave Bailey) plus some Coleman Hawkins are on a West Wind CD (2025) - At The American Jazz Festival with Chris Connor, Coleman Hawkins -> these Hawkins titles overlap with another WW CD called Body & Soul

Is the West Wind label non legit?

Edited by romualdo

The Chris Connor Titles (5 - with trio of Ronnie Ball, Ben Tucker & Dave Bailey) plus some Coleman Hawkins are on a West Wind CD (2025) - At The American Jazz Festival with Chris Connor, Coleman Hawkins -> these Hawkins titles overlap with another WW CD called Body & Soul

Is the West Wind label non legit?

Okay, interesting... what else is on that Hawk CD? And does it have MORE Latin American Affairs titles than the Connor/Hawkins disc?

Thanks!

The Coleman Hawkins 'Body and Soul' CD on WestWind 2018 includes the following tracks (all from the July 16, 1961 Rio concert):

- Rifftide

- The Man I Love

- Body and Soul

- Love for Sale

- Caravan

- Lover Come Back to Me

all by Hawkins, Tommy Flanagan, Ahmed Abdul Malik and Jo Jones with Roy Eldridge added on the first and the last two tracks.

'Love for Sale' is a Flanagan trio feature.