jazzbo

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Any news about vol. 4? I'm affraid this year Columbia Legacy is gonna re-release one more time "Bitches Brew", now in a 4CD book format with all classic material, few well known outtakes, Tanglewood 1970 concert on CD and.. Copenhagen 1969 on DVD

Seems like somebody responsible for all glorious Official Bootleg sets lost his jobs. Puzzling, as the previous 4CD Fillmore concerts sets won a lot of award an media coverage.

Any news about vol. 4? I'm affraid this year Columbia Legacy is gonna re-release one more time "Bitches Brew", now in a 4CD book format with all classic material, few well known outtakes, Tanglewood 1970 concert on CD and.. Copenhagen 1969 on DVD

Nothing weird (or to be afraid of) about that ... just the regular cheaper second edition that has come to be the norm in so many cases. Good for those who want the music, but don't really need the (splendid!) presentation and memorabilia and stuff that was part of the large box. Tanglewood is fine, and the 1969 Bootleg volume is somewhat weird, provided the fall tour is largely absend AND represented by a set without fender rhodes, so that Copenhagen set IS a most welcome addition.

But yeah, I'd love to know if and what with the Bootleg series continues - I'd hope for 1971 and 1973 European concerts (but for a set with material from the summer tour of 1964 would be cool, too - not sure if copyright issues rule that out though ... does the 50 year rule apply only up to 1963 recordings, or is that whole thing still not entirely through and 1964 is PD now?)

I didn't put that in good words. I meant that we will got another BB reissue INSTEAD of a new Bootleg Volume.

I know of course that famous albums are reissued regulary, but c'mon :) - many previous editions are still available on market, and so is the latest 2CD+DVD with the Copenhagen 1969 concert, which was supposed (I guess) to be a "smaller" version of the giant box ith LP's. So what the "bigger but still smaller" is for? It doesn't bother me at all, they could make a 100 of versions of this album, but I'm just sad there're no news about "new" concerts.

Yes, I also hope they will pick up on 1971. There is a lot of great stuff, including many videos. But honestly I'm most interested in the year 1972. There were some nice changes in the line-up. The Live at Philharmonics (which I find boring, not to mention its bad sound quality) have some potential, with all those Indian instruments. And I'm a bit tired of Jarrett's playing and more like things but Cedar Lawson or LL Smith. Actually I haven't heard a good quality bootleg from 1972, which makes the whole thing more interesting to me :).

Actually they've got so much stuff laying just around the corner (pun intended), I'm wondering why they didn't throw a 6CD boxes, like those with "Cellar Door" or "On The Corner" complete sessions. I'd love to have a wast collection of 1973 and 1975 gigs, with those famous Japanese videos...

Oh Miles, this topic is bottomless... what about the unreleased 1975 studio sessions? And those from 1978 with Larry Coryell ;)....