Blindfold Test Frequently Asked Questions

randyhersom

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2'33"

Well, that would be the obvious guess, wouldn't it? ;)

yeah, but guess the performer and it gets more difficult.

"this is lester young doing all that shit before it was ever invented"

"and this is charlie parker giving his own twist to what actually should be credited to louis armstrong"

I am really glad Phil Schaap dug this stuff out and made it available to the public.

If we can get back to length, I think there should be an explicit limitation of two CDs. I mean, saying that you should consider your audience is fine and dandy but I can imagine someone going overboard and getting out of control and I'm sorry that is just too much to impose on people.

In fact, I sincerely hope that two disc sets don't become the norm because I suspect that participation may start to decline if people find it difficult to devote sufficient time to multi-volume BFTs.

2'33"

Considering it's 4'33", it still would be very interesting to hear the different takes fitting on to one CD. ;) B)

damn, and all the time I was hoping no one would notice.... :unsure:

It's the tape speed mike. They recorded the original too fast or too slow or whatever. Anyhow, it's the tape speed- :unsure::ph34r:

Edited by couw

I think Dan's last quote summarizes it quite as does this quote from couw: "But think of the costs, think of what you ask of your public, and think of the expectations you might put on others."

We don't want to lose the audience and I find one cd in length to be just right.

As far as what should be in, leave it to the compiler is probably the best advice we can give. This is a little bactrack from what I said yesterday but there'll never be agreement as to what is or isn't "jazz". I also don't think this is just "blahblahblah" but issues that should be discussed among us from time to time.

if there are no more remarks to the FAQ as posted here, can we put it up?

I propose I start a new thread that gets pinned like the Master List thread of Mike. Similar to Mike's list, there shouldn't be too many reactions nor too much discussion on that thread. I will add a remark to divert that back to this thread.

After wrangling all the emails and requests I've compiled an address list with moniker in my text edit and have been working thru it as I burn along and pack 'em up.

Quickly my idea is this: in a chain letter kind of way I can include this list and send it along to the next compiler via e-mail (Jim Dye BFT #8), so that way it will make it easier for him to just cut and paste onto the disk mailers as he sees fit or not. That compiler could forward the list along to the next and so on. Additons and deletions would be handled by the compiler based upon who signs up. Just to get one little step out of the way might make it much easier.

Just a thought.

After wrangling all the emails and requests I've compiled an address list with moniker in my text edit and have been working thru it as I burn along and pack 'em up.

Quickly my idea is this: in a chain letter kind of way I can include this list and send it along to the next compiler via e-mail (Jim Dye BFT #8), so that way it will make it easier for him to just cut and paste onto the disk mailers as he sees fit or not. That compiler could forward the list along to the next and so on. Additons and deletions would be handled by the compiler based upon who signs up. Just to get one little step out of the way might make it much easier.

Just a thought.

I had the same idea once, but it was pointed out to me that for one the compilation of an address list shouldn't be too difficult to do for anyone, then some people may not want their address known to specific others (what do I know) so it's best to leave it to the participants to provide their addresses themselves, and thirdly, with deletions and additions such a list can get awfully messy.

just some more thoughts

I agree with John. People should make an affirmative offer of personal info rather than having it spread around. Plus, participation isn't always ongoing, people take a break from one and rejoin with later tests. Plus, if you're e-mailing to say you want to participate, how much more time does it take to bang out your mailing address?

Oh fine, just when I get a supa groover stripe you go and tear it off my sleeve. ;)

Your right! Obviously it's not too, too tough to do, just offering to save a step. I never thought of it afa a privacy issue. Plus all of us anally retentive obsessive compulsive jazzboh control freaks need to do it our own way anyhow!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Q - Can I participate even if I won't be able to make any correct guesses?

A - Yes.

Yes. The moderator who sends out the disks is looking for reactions to the music. You don't really know if they are hoping you guess right or hoping you guess wrong. But you can be sure thay want to hear from you. If you don't like something, say so. Often that contributes to a lively discussion. But please post something about what you just listened to.

Seems to me to be a great divide between sign-ups and feedback from the recipients of the BFTs. Even in looking back to the first half a dozen tests thus far one sees a great amount of discs being sent out, especially those twofers, and about a 60% discussion or reply ratio. For me as soon as that BFT hit the box I had it in the player and racked my wee wittle bwain trying to figure out what's what as well as simply enjoying the new sounds. I know my feeling is that I owe it to the compiler to give at least a check in within the discussion thread or even give it the standard short shrift if it is not one's "cup of tea".

I get the impression the date at which individual CDs arrive gets very hard to estimate: We Europeans had the disc one week earlier than some US participants.

How about announcing a start date for the discussion that is two weeks after the shipment date to ensure everyone - or at least the majority has received a disc when the discussion starts?

I could not agree more. The compiler- does the compiling, burning, packing and mailing - and tries to get everything to arrive around the globe within a bracketed window.

Just for the record I sent out the discs as soon as a large batch arrived at their jumpng point in Europe. As it was nightime over there, the discs here went out pre dawn. One would like to think that packages sent within the domestic states would take about the same time as those customs crossing a few borders in Europe. Not so. Our mail service was just coming down from the post Valentines Day sugar buzz and are always quick to yell massacre if they can't putz around for a few days after a big push.

It might be suggested that as soon as all the riders get their steeds into the starting gate the compiler gives the go ahead for discussion. (Granted those participants who sign up after the discs have been sent in bulk might be a bit behind but they still get them in due time for discussion.) What I was told is that the compiler has absolutely no say so once he sends those discs on their way and that whoever gets dibs first fires the gun. Complete disregard and plain silly. :wacko: