Heiner Stadler - Retrospection

bertrand

• 4 years later...

Just noticed this thread.  "Retrospection" is only partly a compilation  Some of the tracks are actually alternate takes and several are previously unreleased.

The most notable new piece the almost 30 minute long "Clusterity" (written 1966, recorded 1974) with The Big band of the North German Radio Station conducted by Dieter Glawischnig.  Good work from soloists Manfred Schoof, Albert Mangelsdorff, Gerd Dudek, Wolfgang Dauner, Lucas Lindhoolm & Tony Inzalaco. 

Edited by alankin

Poor Heiner... I think his work is the perfect argument for not selling things you never listen to - because when you finally do, you'll be glad you still have it.

I mean, it is definitely quirky as far as "how does this fit into....ANYTHING?", but those players...If you like Cowell's Brilliant Corners, think of Brains On Fire as it's socially awkward cousin, have a little love and see what's inside the kid.

On 5/24/2016 at 10:07 AM, clifford_thornton said:

Now THAT is a really fair point. Thanks.

I like them both OK, though I'm not running to go pull them out and listen to them.  I DO run to go listen to Natural Essence at times,  especially Joe Chambers' work on it.