Mosaic Records Christmas/Holiday Wishlist

Well, since the holidays are drawing near, I figured it would be fun to see if anyone was asking their loved ones for anything from Mosaic Records.

Since the Coleman Hawkins box set is delayed...I am going to ask for:

1. Mosaic Select: Toshiko Akiyoshi/Lew Tabackin (MS-033)

2. Mosaic Select: Sidney Bechet (MS-022)

There's nothing like opening up one of those big Mosaic boxed sets, but since the Hawkins won't be here and the Chu Berry is out of stock, these selects look pretty good! :party::w:g

I'm up to date on all the Mosaic material, I'm just waiting for the Hawkins. On the other hand, there's no one in my life who would give me a Mosaic set! It's not the value, it's just they wouldn't know what to get me, wouldn't think to ask, would rather surprise me with something else.

Edited by jazzbo

No Mosaics for me this year. I'm up to 31 Mosaics and can only really think of 1 or 2 I'd want in addition to those and even those aren't "must haves" for me. Actually, there's no jazz on my Christmas wish list this year. The only CDs I'm asking for this year are:

Brian Setzer - Rockabilly Riot 1: A Tribute to Sun Records

The Black Keys - They're new to me so any of their titles would be interesting.

Edited by mikelz777

I'm up to date on all the Mosaic material, I'm just waiting for the Hawkins. On the other hand, there's no one in my life who would give me a Mosaic set! It's not the value, it's just they wouldn't know what to get me, wouldn't think to ask, would rather surprise me with something else.

Probably for the best. My son tried to surprise me with the Lester Young when it came out. Of course I'd already ordered it.

Edited by medjuck

• 3 weeks later...

I received Amazon gift certificates and originally ordered the Pacific Jazz Piano Trios Mosaic Select. After the seller canceled that order, I ordered the Carmell Jones Mosaic Select, which arrived today. I don't have anything with Frank Strazzeri, so I'm looking forward to hearing him at length. It arrived today and it might just kill me having to wait until tomorrow to listen to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, last year (2010) I got the Ahmad Jamal Mosaic and have been playing it tons during the year (also Argo/Cadet material by another famous pianist :D) Will Mosaic issue a box of Ramsey Lewis' early stuff? Gerrrrcher!

And I got the Armstrong Decca Mosaic in June.

So I didn't bother with Mosaic this Christmas. I got

Ray-Charles--Singular-Genius-The-Complete-ABC-Singles.jpg

Ray Charles - Singular genius: the complete ABC singles 1960-1972

I got a good few of Ray's early ABC singles, but then decided the Atlantic material was much better, so I gave up on him. While most of the tracks I decided were duff forty-something years ago are still just as duff now, what I missed, which this set provides, are the B sides. Some of those B sides are effin' masterpieces! I relish, in particular, his revival of Chuck Jackson's hit, 'I wake up crying' with an incredible arrangement by Gerald Wilson. Bert Bacharach could never have imagined this.

5 CDs and a not too bad note from Billy Vera, decent discographical info, good packaging. I could have done with the notes noting the pop and R&B chart positions of each cut, but that's a very minor quibble.

And, amazingly, it's Concord who have brought this out. They've also brought out a two CD set of all 4 of Ray's jazz albums from the sixties-seventies - Genius+soul=jazz; My kind of jazz; Jazz II; and My kind of jazz part 3 (which was on Crossover not ABC). I've been looking for Jazz II for years. Some very nice Teddy Edwards in there.

MG