who else would you like to have heard play/record w/ Miles?

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walt Dickerson... like Barron and Gilmore, could have brought Trane-like concepts to Miles' group, but also a whole different timbral and spatial character.

Grachan Moncur III, and not just from a compositional point-of-view.

I've always wondered how Miles might have sounded with McCoy Tyner behind him. Not sure it could have worked at all, but I'm still curious. A pianist like Don Friedman, especially in him post-Giuffre "phase," would have been an interesting pianist for Miles: Friedman understood Evans' approach to harmony, but he has more drive and swing in his playing. Plus a willingness to experiment more boldly ...

Edited by Joe

I know Miles spoke well of Woody Shaw, but did they ever play together? If they did not, that would have been a nice matchup.

I would like to have seen earlier Miles hooked up with Steve Lacy.

In the realm of pipe dreams, not sure what would have happened if Miles had hooked up with Anthony Braxton at any point in their careers, but I think Miles would have learned something.

In the same vein, I would like to have seen Miles, especially later Miles, play with musicians from the European avant-garde, free jazz movement. Peter Brotzmann anyone? Evan Parker?

Wasn't Joe Henderson a contender by 1964?

For the right project Miles and Roland Kirk could have been a teem.

Bobby Hutcherson?

Joe spent a couple of weeks in the band around '67, i think. Would have loved to have heard that.

Bobby Hutcherson would have been interesting. (Am I right in thinking Buddy Montgomery went through the band at one point in the early sixties?)

Rahsaan was a little too idiosyncratic to share a stage comfortably with anyone (except to burn their sorry asses off stage), especially someone as egocentric as Miles. Think it would have been oil and water.

I'd have enjoyed hearing Miles do even more spacey electric funk stuff a la Headhunters/Eddie Henderson/etc. The Roland Kirk suggestion was an intriguing one too.

MilesDavisScrooged.jpg

Not sure why, but this thread really bothers me. Let Miles be Miles.

Uh oh, Chuck's put the kibosh on this one.

The thing about Miles Davis, for me, is that he took his music to places that I could have never imagined until I heard them. Even now, for some reason, a lot of it my memory can't quite handle so it comes across as a surprise each time. Mostly I'm thinking of the music he was a part of before the reclusive hiatus.

When I read these posts, I wonder why on earth this/that. But I keep coming back to the fact that my imagination can't even contain the stuff he did do. How could it possibly contain the stuff he didn't.

So what the hell. I'm going with everyone involved in this:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo_(D%27Angelo_album)

Pino Palladino, ?uestlove, D'Angelo, Soulquarians, Dilla, etc. Surely his music was a part of the preparation for this release.

If you don't have it and are minutely interested, Sangrey the hell out of that diem.