Emanem Records and PSI

A Lark Ascending

I've picked up several recordings from this wonderful label documenting mainly UK free music over the years.

Found myself drawn in more and more since last autumn.

Favourites, thoughts etc?

Its large catalogue is here:

http://www.emanemdisc.com/

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, jeez - what great music Emanem has put out over the years. I placed an order a few days ago (the two new Steve Lacys have got me excited - or one new one and an expanded edition of an old one), and it got me thinking about the Emanems in my collection.

The Lacy/Rudd School Days record, first issued in the 1970's, is one of the most important archival issues in the history of jazz records. (How's that for hyperbole?) For many years, this important band was unheard except for those few lucky enough to be at one of their performances in the early 1960's. And for many years after School Days, this record was the only documentation of the group. (There are now 25 minutes on Cuneiform.) I think maybe Hat owns this material now - Emanem lists this album as "withdrawn."

Just sticking with Lacy for a moment - two more of his most important records are on Emanem. They issued his first solo concert, from 1972, first as Solo Concert, then on Weal & Woe, and now the expanded version - Avignon and After - 1. Lacy's solo music reached higher levels after this, but this first concert was pretty important in his development. And there's still nothing else like Saxophone Special in Lacy's discography - prickly saxophone quartet music (Lacy, Evan Parker, Steve Potts & Trevor Watts) over a bed of guitar (Derek Bailey) and synth weirdness.

The current issue of what has been described (probably not accurately) as "the first British free jazz album" is on Emanem - Challenge by the Spontaneous Music Ensemble. It looks like you can pretty much follow the development of the SME through Emanem recordings - I've got a couple coming in my order.

Another favorite of mine is Roswell Rudd's Blown Bone, first issued on Japanese Philips. It's a great session, with Steve Lacy, Tyrone Washington, Sheila Jordan, Paul Motian, and others.

I love the John Carter/Bobby Bradford duet performances on Tandem. I have Vol. 1; Vol. 2 is coming in my order.

I see that most of my favorites are by American artists. That makes sense, I guess, but I like the British stuff I've heard, too, especially the SME. I'll stop there. But Emanem is one of those labels I would explore in toto if I had the time and money to do so, which I don't.

Shouldn't this be in "recommendations"? It will go under in misc very fast, I'm afraid... also, you kind of forgot Incus, didn't you?

Got very few releases from these labels so far... Paul Rutherford's "Gentle Harm" being the most recent one - and that's a terrific disc! Definitely need to check out more!

I highly recommend Steve Lacy's Hooky, a recording of a 1976 solo concert in Montreal. It's my favourite Lacy solo record.

Derek Bailey's LACE is among his best solo improv dates. (Of all of them, I think I only like Aida more.)

Agree with above recommendation of Steve Lacy's Saxophone Special. The CD also includes part of The Crust.

School Days is indeed a classic, though I know it from its HatArt incarnation.

I've been mining the Emanem mother lode for Bailey, Lacy, Evan Parker, SMO/John Stevens and John Butcher albums for a while now and have a pretty good collection from the label. Martin Davidson is an unsung here for documenting this vital and important branch of free jazz. BTW, the name of the label comes from Martin and his ex-wife, Marilyn (I think).

I've been mining the Emanem mother lode for Bailey, Lacy, Evan Parker, SMO/John Stevens and John Butcher albums for a while now and have a pretty good collection from the label. Martin Davidson is an unsung here for documenting this vital and important branch of free jazz. BTW, the name of the label comes from Martin and his ex-wife, Marilyn (I think).

same here (all of the above plus ISKRA, Rutherford

Great mail order service (CD's usually get to Australia within 5-7 days)

Martin lived in Australia (Sydney) & the states for a time - Emanem LP's were released from those countries (ie Aussie & US pressings) while he resided there

He was happy to get Evan Parker to autograph one of his PSI CD's for me recently

Might ask him to confirm the above name derivation next time I drop a line/order

The Lacy/Rudd School Days record, first issued in the 1970's, is one of the most important archival issues in the history of jazz records. (How's that for hyperbole?) For many years, this important band was unheard except for those few lucky enough to be at one of their performances in the early 1960's. And for many years after School Days, this record was the only documentation of the group. (There are now 25 minutes on Cuneiform.) I think maybe Hat owns this material now - Emanem lists this album as "withdrawn."

They announced a reissue - I believe that copies were ready to go - but were forced to withdraw it when their rights to it were contested. Shame.

I love Evan's PSI list BTW. The Incus reissues such as Saxophone Solos, Monoceros etc contain some essential earlier EP. Since I no longer 'collect' I've heard only a smattering of the rest, but I have recently picked up my first title with trumpeter Peter Evans who is an instantly riveting player with wonderful tone.

From the Emanem list proper I am keen on ISKRA 1903 Volume 1 (1970-72) - a classic 3 CD document which is a greatly expanded issue of an original Incus double LP. I am going to start giving that one as a Xmas present! ISKRA 1903 was Rutherford/Bailey/Guy in its first incarnation.

Shouldn't this be in "recommendations"? It will go under in misc very fast, I'm afraid... also, you kind of forgot Incus, didn't you?

Yes, should be under Recommendations. If a mod would like to shift it that would be great.

As for Incus, I was thinking of the two labels with distinct current imprints under the umbrella. I understood that some Incus material has reappeared directly under the Emanem name. Has everything reappeared that way?

Iskra 1903 arrived earlier this week and I really enjoyed disc 1. Have the other two lined up for half-term holiday.

I've decided to gently work my way via the SME records - 'Challenge' is marvellous; more Ornette-y than the freer stuff to come.

I put in a small order last night. A couple of Rutherfords ('Gentle Charm' and the one with the Tippetts; and the Appleby 2007 disc of Evan P, Ned Rothenberg and Paolo Angeli (I saw their main stage performance that year).

Loves Dream by Bobby Bradford is a beautiful Emanem recording and Davidson later issued two disks of fine Bradford-Carter duets. Along with all the Evan Parker, John Stevens, Derek Bailey, Steve Lacy, Paul Rutherford, etc. Emanem gems that have already been mentioned (and be sure to hear Rutherford's Tromboleneum), there are a Lol Coxhill anthology, some Trevor Watt-Veryan Weston duets, and a Aki Takase disk that especially tickle me. There's also a terrific Agusti Fernandez piano disk on Psi - whatever he does, he's a special artist, a level above ordinary mortals (sorry, can't get to the CDs today to recite titles).

Martin Davidson has documented Rutherford, Parker, and the London scene in a wholly conscientious way over the decades - he's one of our saints.

Loves Dream by Bobby Bradford is a beautiful Emanem recording and Davidson later issued two disks of fine Bradford-Carter duets. Along with all the Evan Parker, John Stevens, Derek Bailey, Steve Lacy, Paul Rutherford, etc. Emanem gems that have already been mentioned (and be sure to hear Rutherford's Tromboleneum), there are a Lol Coxhill anthology, some Trevor Watt-Veryan Weston duets, and a Aki Takase disk that especially tickle me. There's also a terrific Agusti Fernandez piano disk on Psi - whatever he does, he's a special artist, a level above ordinary mortals (sorry, can't get to the CDs today to recite titles).

Martin Davidson has documented Rutherford, Parker, and the London scene in a wholly conscientious way over the decades - he's one of our saints.

Yes - that Agusti trio with Mark Sanders and John Edwards (btw - one of THE great bass and drums teams around today) is wonderful - Un Lamp Que No S'Acaba Mai...

A great solo piano disc not to sleep on on Emanem - Pat Thomas' Nur...fantastic!

I'm very grateful to Emanem for putting out one of my very first efforts, as part of the collective group Barkingside...featuring the amazing (not using the word lightly either..!) Alex Ward on clarinet, amongst others...

Also - lots of GREAT Lol Coxhill on Emanem...

And the Foxes Fox (Evan Parker, Louis Moholo-Moholo, John Edwards, Steve Beresford) discs on these two labels are big fun!

The Two Seasons - Parker, Edwards & Sanders

as close to free jazz if you would as Evan ever gets - 2 disc set from 1999 - live from The Vortex

Mark Sanders best performance on record (that I have heard)

one of my favorite recordings of all time.

Lunge - Strong Language - maybe 2002 with Gail Brand, Pat Thomas, Phil Durrant and Mark Sanders

one of the best mixes of electronics and EFI

any suggestions for the more jazz oriented sessions ( as apposed to free improv) by Veryan Weston. I've listen to a few sessions recently where Weston impressed (John Stevens Freebop at Bracknell on Impetus)

I really like the direction Mark Sanders and John Edwards take Veryan - e.g. on Gateway to Vienna (is that what it's called? I forget just now!).

That's freely improvised, although in the 'free jazz' direction IMHO...

To hear Veryan play tunes though - see if you can find audio of either Sol6 or Sol12...totally intriguing repertoire!!!

Thanks for all the recommendations here. Some I shall explore over the next few months.

I think Veryan Weston will be a target - he seems to be incredibly active yet hardly registers above ground. That 'Gateway to Vienna' looks like a starting point. [i notice he originates from Cornwall - wonder if his first name is related to the village of the same name near Truro]

Agusti Fernandez I'll follow there to - I know him from his discs elsewhere with the likes of Barry Guy.

Played the first disc of this 2CD I've had for a few years last night:

LOLCOXHILLSPECTRALSOPRANO.jpg

A pot pourri of Lol from a 1954 'Autumn in New York' through R'n B in the early 60s to all manner of experiments. I have half a dozen Lol records but will take this further too.

I'm very grateful to Emanem for putting out one of my very first efforts, as part of the collective group Barkingside...featuring the amazing (not using the word lightly either..!) Alex Ward on clarinet, amongst others...

must checkout Ward, I found an undated minidisc recording of Jazz on 3 of Alex Ward with Derek Bailey which sounded pretty interesting .

My understanding with School Days is that Hat acquired the rights and put out their editions in 1992 and 2003. Nearly a decade passed and Davidson came under the impression that the rights were up for grabs again, so he pressed his edition on CD last year. He quickly learned that Hat still held the rights and was planning to repress it again and so withdrew the disc. But I do think it was pressed-- anybody have one?

My understanding with School Days is that Hat acquired the rights and put out their editions in 1992 and 2003. Nearly a decade passed and Davidson came under the impression that the rights were up for grabs again, so he pressed his edition on CD last year. He quickly learned that Hat still held the rights and was planning to repress it again and so withdrew the disc. But I do think it was pressed-- anybody have one?

Irene Aebi was apparently the one who was confused about the rights to School Days and offered them to Emanem.

Definitely pressed, seen a pile of them for sale. I haven't got a copy though

Irene Aebi was apparently the one who was confused about the rights to School Days and offered them to Emanem.

She always sounded confused to me :crazy:

Thanks for all the nice comments, everybody.

A couple of minor points:

psi or Psi but never PSI - it's not an acronym - is Evan Parker's label, not mine. Evan makes the artistic decisions - I implement them.

Emanem was named after me (Martin) and my then wife-to-be, Madelaine (aka Mandy). I am now married to Marion. I have never knowingly been married to a Marilyn. My first wife did not have an M in her name.