2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you see the hit on Hossa? NHL needs to crack down harder on that shit. This year's playoffs are becoming a thug fest.

Jeez. He left his feet, went for the head...and it's not like this is a first time thing for Torres;; he's definitely a repeat offender. I think people can get carried away sometimes with concern over violence in the game (hey, it's a violent game), but that was ridiculous, and the NHL needs to make sure he knows they're serious. IF they're serious.

The XM channels are/have been free on Sirius this week, and last night I was listening to the end of the Florida-New Jersey game.

New Jersey had an empty net. Florida got a breakaway, and the guy was hooked from behind. Florida was awarded the goal.

I was unaware of that rule, and had never seen/heard that play before. I thought that Florida would be given a penalty shot.

The XM channels are/have been free on Sirius this week, and last night I was listening to the end of the Florida-New Jersey game.

New Jersey had an empty net. Florida got a breakaway, and the guy was hooked from behind. Florida was awarded the goal.

I was unaware of that rule, and had never seen/heard that play before. I thought that Florida would be given a penalty shot.

No penalty shot because there was no goalie in pace at the time. Otherwise it would be a 'gimme' for teams to hook a guy going in on an empty net breakaway --- there's nothing to lose! It's that simple and it makes complete sense.

Flyers!

Ok, now they'll HAVE to start playing D!

things look hopeless for my black hawks starting the 3rd period.

that big phx. goalie has slammed an airtight lid on the cage. damn.

4-0

mike smith of phoenix gave the single most superhuman goaltending performance i've EVER seen, for this series and particularly this game.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Condolences to Dave as the Wings were the first team eliminated, though I have a feeling it's only due to scheduling. I don't see the Sharks winning a second time either.

Thanks. I haven't been able to bring myself to comment on the hockey thread since Detroit folded their tent. I can't say I was all that surprised. The loss of Darren Helm really hurt, but probably not enough to change the outcome. Also, I'm still unhappy about the league failing to deal appropriately with Shea Weber for his WWF move on Zetterberg, but again, that wouldn't have made enough difference to change the result. Here's the deal. You build a team the back to the front. Jimmy Howard is a decent goaltender, but the Wings defense was really shaky. I'd like to see them make a run at Nashville's Ryan Suter to firm up their blueline. Also, and I've taken some heat over this on the Detroit Free Press Red Wing website, I'd like to see Nicklas Lidstrom hang up the skates. I just don't see starting to a rebuild around a 43-year old defenseman no matter how good he is.

I'll tell you one thing, I wish I'd put some money on Vancouver, PIttsburgh and Chicago (and maybe New York and Boston) not getting out of the first round.

Condolences to Dave as the Wings were the first team eliminated, though I have a feeling it's only due to scheduling. I don't see the Sharks winning a second time either.

Thanks. I haven't been able to bring myself to comment on the hockey thread since Detroit folded their tent. I can't say I was all that surprised. The loss of Darren Helm really hurt, but probably not enough to change the outcome. Also, I'm still unhappy about the league failing to deal appropriately with Shea Weber for his WWF move on Zetterberg, but again, that wouldn't have made enough difference to change the result. Here's the deal. You build a team the back to the front. Jimmy Howard is a decent goaltender, but the Wings defense was really shaky. I'd like to see them make a run at Nashville's Ryan Suter to firm up their blueline. Also, and I've taken some heat over this on the Detroit Free Press Red Wing website, I'd like to see Nicklas Lidstrom hang up the skates. I just don't see starting to a rebuild around a 43-year old defenseman no matter how good he is.

I'll tell you one thing, I wish I'd put some money on Vancouver, PIttsburgh and Chicago (and maybe New York and Boston) not getting out of the first round.

some silly gambler will win buckets of money. no one could possibly be THAT shrewd.

i would love to see similar in the nba playoffs.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

some silly gambler will win buckets of money. no one could possibly be THAT shrewd.

i would love to see similar in the nba playoffs.

I guess you never know, but hockey is such a relatively low-scoring game that flukey things can happen. Basketball, the team with the stronger players nearly always prevails (as long as they are willing to play a bit of D). At the same time, an injury to a key player (like D Rose and now the OKC player Harden) can make more of an impact than in NHL. I don't really see OKC, Chicago or the Heat making a first-round exit. Beyond that, who knows...

It's probably due to pure hockey ignorance, but Pittsburgh didn't surprise me. I figure if Philadephia can't bully their way through at least one round, the world would end...

Edited by Jazzmoose

Caps win in OT!!

Man, that was a great game. Awesome goal tending by both goalies. I think the Bruins out played the Caps the last period and it looked like the momentum was going Boston's way in OT. But a turnover proved deadly. Alas.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

I don't know my sports history, but is this the first time ever that no Canadian team has made it into the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs? It certainly seems rare.

I had to Google, but found here (emphasis added):

Any hopes Canadian hockey fans had of ending the country's lengthy Stanley Cup drought were dashed a lot sooner than normal this season.

The Ottawa Senators were defeated 2-1 by the New York Rangers in Game 7 of their first-round series on Thursday, ensuring that the Stanley Cup will remain south of the border for an 18th straight season.

It marks the first time since 1996 that a Canadian team hasn't even managed to crack the second round of the post-season.

I'm too lazy to research pre-1996...