2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Not content to let Penn St. and Jeremy Lin garner all the headlines, the Ranger$ have traded for Rick Nash.

"...[Nash,] a third-round pick and a minor-league defenseman to the Rangers for centers Brandon Dubinsky and Artem Anisimov, defenseman Tim Erixon and a first-round pick next year."

Much as I'd like to trash the NYR, that doesn't seem like too outlandish a price. I dunno Nash's contract status, though.

Edited by T.D.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not content to let Penn St. and Jeremy Lin garner all the headlines, the Ranger$ have traded for Rick Nash.

"...[Nash,] a third-round pick and a minor-league defenseman to the Rangers for centers Brandon Dubinsky and Artem Anisimov, defenseman Tim Erixon and a first-round pick next year."

Much as I'd like to trash the NYR, that doesn't seem like too outlandish a price. I dunno Nash's contract status, though.

Depends on how much a one way player is worth. Nash doesn't play much "D". Don't get me wrong, I would love to have seen him in a Red Wing sweater, but Detroit is reported to have made Columbus a "substantial" offer for Nash and they wouldn't even return their phone calls.

The only two free agent questions that remain to be resolved involve Shane Doan and Alexander Semin. Doan will most likely stay in Phoenix and Semin's reputation will probably land him in the KHL.

With teams that made deep runs in the playoffs, including the Champs, that changed head coaches in mid-stream, San Jose Sharks shook up the associate coaching staff big time.

After finishing 7th and exiting the playoffs early figured that either GM Doug Wilson or coach Todd McLellan might be gone ( more Wilson I thought).

That said Sharks have added assistant coach Jim Johnson and more importantly Larry Robinson comes in as well.

McLellan has put up gaudy regular season win totals.... a final four appearance, but fell off a bit last year and I think may have lost his lustre slightly in the locker room. He had relatively young and little experienced assistant coaches, and saw the PK fall to 29th in the league which was supposedly going to be the focus for improvement.

Anyway, if in fact McLellan has indeed lost the room, a championship calibre guy is already on staff to take the reigns.

Edited by Mike Schwartz

Depends on how much a one way player is worth. Nash doesn't play much "D". Don't get me wrong, I would love to have seen him in a Red Wing sweater, but Detroit is reported to have made Columbus a "substantial" offer for Nash and they wouldn't even return their phone calls.

The only two free agent questions that remain to be resolved involve Shane Doan and Alexander Semin. Doan will most likely stay in Phoenix and Semin's reputation will probably land him in the KHL.

Nash doesn't really seem like John Tortorella's type of player...I expect a stormy relationship.

Emphatically agreed on Semin. :rofl:

Re. Mike S.'s post on Larry Robinson (I never figured out how to multi-quote): I'm a huge fan of Larry (and very familiar with him as a NJD fan and admirer of the old Canadiens), but I'm almost certain he doesn't want to be a head coach again, and truly believe he's best employed as an assistant/teacher.

Edited by T.D.

Nash doesn't really seem like John Tortorella's type of player...I expect a stormy relationship.

Emphatically agreed on Semin. :rofl:

Re. Mike S.'s post on Larry Robinson (I never figured out how to multi-quote): I'm a huge fan of Larry (and very familiar with him as a NJD fan and admirer of the old Canadiens), but I'm almost certain he doesn't want to be a head coach again, and truly believe he's best employed as an assistant/teacher.

Robinson said in interviews at the Sharks' website that his wife especially wanted this move when the opportunity came up, to be much closer to grandchildren in CA.

What you say about his resolve to not be the head guy; I can't see a guy like him not stepping up if asked to take the team to the 'next level' if he were asked. Maybe his addition as assistant/teacher helps take them there, which is why he was hired in part, but NHL, NFL etc. are copy cat leagues. The Stanley Cup Champions changed head coaches in mid-season (with one of the best coaches in Sharks history, BTW) so I'm just sayin' don't rule out this possibility if the club should flounder as they did this past season.

...the Ranger$ have traded for Rick Nash.

Thank goodness! I've spent the offseason in fear so far, worrying that the Sharks would make give up Setoguchi plus who knows who for Nash.

You're not being serious are you?

FYI Setoguchi played the entire 2011 season with the Wild after being traded away last year!

Sorry; posting while drunk... I meant Couture.

...the Ranger$ have traded for Rick Nash.

Thank goodness! I've spent the offseason in fear so far, worrying that the Sharks would make give up Setoguchi plus who knows who for Nash.

You're not being serious are you?

FYI Setoguchi played the entire 2011 season with the Wild after being traded away last year!

Sorry; posting while drunk... I meant Couture.

I'm calling for sanctions against Mr. Moose. While there are more reasons than you can count for getting drunk in La Grande, Oregon, this does not create the space necessary to forgive a mistake of this magnitude.

• 1 month later...

Any views about the lockout?

You know that Donald Fehr isn't going to bend over. It wouldn't surprise me if the season is lost again.

You could see this coming a long way off. After "caving" to end the last stoppage by allowing a hard salary cap, the NHLPA was determined to play hardball this time, hence Mr. Fehr. I expect a long stoppage and agree with you re. lost season.

But I'm not such a big NHL fan any more - the 2004 washout showed me that I could live without the sport, and I've followed much less closely since.

I have a couple of problems with the NHL.

First, our local team the Hurricanes is not on broadcast TV, so I have never seen them except when they were in the Stanley Cup Finals a few years ago.

Second, I think that there might be as many as six teams too many. I suspect that there are too many players who are not of major league calibre.

I have a couple of problems with the NHL.

First, our local team the Hurricanes is not on broadcast TV, so I have never seen them except when they were in the Stanley Cup Finals a few years ago.

Second, I think that there might be as many as six teams too many. I suspect that there are too many players who are not of major league calibre.

Agreed on the second point, though I think it's more economics than talent (the 4th-line type guys on the end of the bench today seem to have pretty decent ability, more so than for the past 30 years or whatever that I can recall).

The Economist magazine's "Game Theory" [sports] blog has an NHL article today. Here are some excerpts:

"...Players may have to lump it. The latest annual assessment of team finances by Forbes concluded that 18 of the NHL’s 30 teams lost money in 2010-11, and 13 lost more than $5m. The most profitable teams, meanwhile, made a killing...Indeed, hockey's main problem may be geographic overreach...One idea would be reducing the league's size to perhaps 24 teams, and shifting the league north by replacing Sun Belt teams with ones from chillier, hockey-friendly Quebec, Seattle or southern Ontario, say. For now, though, neither the players nor the owners are calling for anything as radical. Each side seems happier to have no hockey at all in 2012-13 than to face up to economic reality..."

But I can't imagine "contraction" (dropping franchises) ever happening.

If things aren't settled within about a month of the Winter Classic, I'm afraid the season will be lost. This game has become such an integral part of the NHL's image that it has to be the driving force behind any kind of settlement. The league knows this and so do the players. That's especially true this year since the WC is to be played at the 105,000 seat BIg House in Ann Arbor.

Edited by Dave James

I have to agree, although surely the NHL realizes what a stupid move it was to try to bring the sport into the sunbelt. At the very least they have to move some of these teams around. The Toronto area could easily support a couple of additional teams, and areas like Pheonix and Florida just aren't going to be hockey towns no matter what. Maybe it's just my own private delusion, but I think Portland could support a team...

I have to agree, although surely the NHL realizes what a stupid move it was to try to bring the sport into the sunbelt. At the very least they have to move some of these teams around. The Toronto area could easily support a couple of additional teams, and areas like Pheonix and Florida just aren't going to be hockey towns no matter what. Maybe it's just my own private delusion, but I think Portland could support a team...

I agree that Phoenix and Fla. are bad ideas. But the LNH seems weirdly obsessed with them. This past year, the league could have moved the Phoenix franchise to Québec City (damn, that would have been cool! I loved the old Nordiques), but they insisted on a solution that kept the team in Phoenix. :huh: Good luck with that...

Maybe it's just my own private delusion, but I think Portland could support a team...

Agreed. Portland has always been a hockey town. Not just the Buckaroos and the Winter Hawks but way back to the Rose Buds, a team that was here as early as 1914 and that actually played for a Stanley Cup against the Montreal Canadiens in 1916. From the mid-40's to the early '50's, Portland's team was called either the Eagles or the Penguins. And, speaking of the Penguins, Portland came within an eyelash of landing the Pittsburgh franchise in the late '80's. Only an eleventh hour compromise between Mario Lemieux and the city of Pittsburgh prevented the team from moving West. Needless to say, the biggest problem with getting an NHL team here is ownership. Too bad Paul Allen has zero interest in hockey. That pretty much means that the team would have to be locally owned or moved from another city. The chances of that happening, regardless of the support an NHL team would have here, are pretty slim.

Edited by Dave James