2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rangers win 3-0, I was actually watching hockey and lovin' it!!!

Everybody still sleeping on the Rangers?

Not sleeping on the Rangers, but I've only been at most a casual hockey fan. Since the nuked season I think I've watched maybe an hour of hockey, but this(local team) has me interested. Be nice to have another parade this year on Broadway!

Watched the game with a bunch of friends on the upper side last night. The whole bar went crazy when they scored the first one. Oddly enough, on the return train trip to NJ, saw tons of Ranger fans but very few Devils fans.

Back in the 70s, when many more players than now had "heavy" slapshots, this happened more often than you might think. It was NEVER considered embarassing for the goalie.

In 1964, when I was 15, my Dad, my brother and I went to Chicago Stadium to watch the Blackhawks play the Canadiens. Glenn Hall was tending goal for Chicago. In the third period, Bernie Geoffrion had a mini-breakaway, but the Blackhawks defensemen had the angle on him, so he cranked up a slap shot form just inside the red line. It was in the net before Hall could move his catching glove less than a foot. Not for nothing did they call the guy "Boom Boom".

I have also heard a story about Bobby Hull scoring after the goalie caught his shot, but the momentum of the puck tore the glove off his hand and the glove and puck both wound up in the back of the net. That's a helluva way to score.

Back in the 70s, when many more players than now had "heavy" slapshots, this happened more often than you might think. It was NEVER considered embarassing for the goalie.

In 1964, when I was 15, my Dad, my brother and I went to Chicago Stadium to watch the Blackhawks play the Canadiens. Glenn Hall was tending goal for Chicago. In the third period, Bernie Geoffrion had a mini-breakaway, but the Blackhawks defensemen had the angle on him, so he cranked up a slap shot form just inside the red line. It was in the net before Hall could move his catching glove less than a foot. Not for nothing did they call the guy "Boom Boom".

I have also heard a story about Bobby Hull scoring after the goalie caught his shot, but the momentum of the puck tore the glove off his hand and the glove and puck both wound up in the back of the net. That's a helluva way to score.

Yes, Alex Ovechkin be damned, nobody in hockey has a slapshot like that today. Al MacInnis was the closest to that in more recent memory.

In the early to mid-60's, there was an equipment innovation in hockey that wound up profoundly changing the game. The curved blade. This began when some players experimented with creating curvature by heating the blades of a stick with either steam or a hand held torch and bending it while holding it in a grate or underneath a door. All kinds of weird things ensued depending on how the stick was shaped and since, at the time, league rules did not address such modifications, they became very bizarre. Bobby Hull used sticks with as much as a three inch curvature. What that caused the puck to do was even stranger. Much in the manner of baseball's split fingered fastball, drops, dips and knuckling were all part of it, but it also increased the speed of the puck as it left the stick. Since this was an era when most goaltenders were still not wearing masks, this new development made their lives even more difficult and dangerous. Terry Sawchuk's face, shown here, is a good example:

terrysawchuk_crop_340x234.jpg

At that point, the league stepped in an began regulating sticks. In today's game, the maximum allowable bend is just 3/4". The rule of thumb is that if you can pass a dime underneath the blade, them the bend is excessive. The composition of the sticks has also changed. Everything used to be laminated wood. Then the material morphed from aluminum to graphite, carbon fiber, titanium and even kevlar but, even in the face of these technological improvements, there's never been anything like the curved blade. Point being, in the "renegade" days of the early '60's, there was more behind the so-called "heaviness" of certain player's shots than just the men who were shooting them.

I'll be damned. Kings against the Devils. Can't wait for game one!

I'm sure the league would have killed for a New York Los Angeles final, but this will do just fine. If the Devils win the Cup, what a great way for Marty Brodeur to go out.

Edited by Dave James

Not Stanley Cup related, but I would be remiss not to mention the retirement this morning of Nicklas Lidstrom. For the past 28 seasons, the Red Wings and their fans have been blessed by the on and off-ice leadership of Stevie Yzerman and Lidstrom, two guys who brought way more to the table than just their games.

Kings up 3-0. Looking like the writings on the wall. I wouldn't mind seeing the Devil take one, but not sure even that's in the cards. I certainly can't see the Devils turning this around.

Shame that Brodeur has been so upstaged by Quick, esp. in game 3, but I guess he's had his time to shine etc. what with his 3 Stanley Cup victories and all.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps someone should start a new NHL thread now that the season is over, but in the meantime, here is a very thorough analysis of the finances of the teams as they head into labor negotiations.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/why-nhl-teams-cry-poor-despite-the-leagues-record-growth/article4429817/