are there jazz standards you strongly dislike?

Conversely there are standards that never seem to grate no matter how often they are played. I've never been particularly for or against Tenderly, but when I uploaded a load of my albums to iTunes I was surprised at how often it came up. Practically every major singer, musician and orchestra seems to have recorded it, yet it's never worn out its welcome (at least as far as I'm concerned).

Again, though, I wonder what the appeal is. It's a nice tune, but nothing special.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I think of it, "That's All" is a nagging tune.

Try Houston Person's version.

Or David Newman's, from 'Many facets of David Newman' (Atlantic). If you don't like the tune, David doesn't play it; he just solos from the start. S'wonderful :)

Hm, never heard a jazz version of that song...

MG

That's All wouldn't be so bad if the bridge was different.

Ha. Never thought about it before but Hays changes the melody on the bridge to make it hipper. Rather than just repeat that octave+descending minor 3rd (starts on the 4th of the ii chord) three times, he takes it up a half step twice in a row. This makes the melody hit the b9th on the V7 chord and the 13th and #11th on the I chord. I should have known that the original is much more boring.

Edited by Big Wheel

if was played by Hubert Laws and released on CTI, I also probably hate it.

or Don Sebesky. Or George Benson. Or anything with a brightly colored cover and Creed Taylor's name on it. That stuff usually sends me out looking for a wooden cross and a stake with a sharp end on it.

Well, standards were never really big in the CTI repertoire of anybody.

From the hindsight of history, there's more I like about CTI than I don't. Like late sixties Blue Note, it's a great label for hearing Jazz players take on urban blues/R&B.

But then I like 'Hot Dog".

Beyond The Blue Horizon is one of George Benson's greatest albums, easily.

I Loves You Porgy is beautiful, but jazz musicians rarely play it. I can think of two versions, both very moving, one by Buddy DeFranco with Oscar Peterson and Russ Garcia's orchestra, and the other by Suzannah McCorkle.

Goodness knows why Bummertime gets played so much when there's a much better song from the same score.