are there jazz standards you strongly dislike?

I played Sunny at my high school senior variety show; they loved us.

Did anyone mention Song for My Father? Pretty much, if Stanley Turrentine played it, or if it was on a CTI release, I hated it.

or Blue Bossa. Too many jam session hacks.

also, very tired of Koko. Nobody plays it fast enough, the Ellington or the Bird.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"More importantly probably, the whole hard bop rhythmic language and feel of the '50s/'60s is just very, very difficult to reproduce..."

Sure is. Just listen to the Davis Quintet play "Tadd's Delight" and imagine any group of players today getting that feel.

Closing the circle: Far from comprehensive Amazon search yields two other contemporary covers of "The Outlaw," neither of which I've heard.

Joe Chambers: http://www.amazon.com/Outlaw-Joe-Chambers/dp/B000E40Q6K/ref=sr_1_9?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1333543717&sr=1-9

Danny D'Imperio: http://www.amazon.com/The-Outlaw-Danny-Group-DImperio/dp/B00000JFRP/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1333544183&sr=1-1

The Chambers is a Latin version -- sounds interesting but hard to compare with others.

Deep's band, as one might expect, just nails it. Got to get that album.

Pretty much, if Stanley Turrentine played it, or if it was on a CTI release, I hated it.

If Stanley Turrentine is on it, or if it was release on CTI I probably LOVE it. Stanley is one of my most-played jazz artists, I don't see that ever changing.

I don't mind what people play, so long as it comes out right for me.

Yes. There aren't many tunes I dislike in themselves - 'Misty', 'Feelings' etc aside.

But there are some I could do with a break from due to their constantly being played - not necessarily a problem in the tunes themselves. But that weariness can be overcome by an inspiring performance.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Yes. There aren't many tunes I dislike in themselves - 'Misty', 'Feelings' etc aside.

But there are some I could do with a break from due to their constantly being played - not necessarily a problem in the tunes themselves. But that weariness can be overcome by an inspiring performance.

Groove Holmes has done super versons of those two.

MG

if was played by Hubert Laws and released on CTI, I also probably hate it.

or Don Sebesky. Or George Benson. Or anything with a brightly colored cover and Creed Taylor's name on it. That stuff usually sends me out looking for a wooden cross and a stake with a sharp end on it.

Edited by AllenLowe

MG

There's a live Bill Frisell CD where he starts to play one of them and stops. Someone in the audience sniggers and Frisell barks something to the effect of 'What?'

I don't much like 'My Ship'....but I like the version on 'Miles Ahead', mainly because of the Evans arrangement of the orchestra.

MG

There's a live Bill Frisell CD where he starts to play one of them and stops. Someone in the audience sniggers and Frisell barks something to the effect of 'What?'

I don't much like 'My Ship'....but I like the version on 'Miles Ahead', mainly because of the Evans arrangement of the orchestra.

a spacious nine minute bob brookmeyer orchestral arrangement, with bob soloing, on the tomato label with german vocalist helen schneider(right as the rain) is my favorite.

the recording includes superb arrangements by bob b. and helen schneider.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

"More importantly probably, the whole hard bop rhythmic language and feel of the '50s/'60s is just very, very difficult to reproduce..."

Sure is. Just listen to the Davis Quintet play "Tadd's Delight" and imagine any group of players today getting that feel.

Closing the circle: Far from comprehensive Amazon search yields two other contemporary covers of "The Outlaw," neither of which I've heard.

Joe Chambers: http://www.amazon.com/Outlaw-Joe-Chambers/dp/B000E40Q6K/ref=sr_1_9?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1333543717&sr=1-9

Danny D'Imperio: http://www.amazon.com/The-Outlaw-Danny-Group-DImperio/dp/B00000JFRP/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1333544183&sr=1-1

"The Outlaw" is the title of the Sackville CD by Danny D'Imperio. That group does , in my opinion, a wonderful job with the title tune.