are there jazz standards you strongly dislike?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coltrane's version of Invitation is wonderful.

I also HATE the march beat. There is a variation of it on "Scotch Blues" on the Kenny Burrell Blue Lights release. I hated the introductory section so much I edited it out and re-burned the CD with that edit.

Satin Doll grates on my nerves, always has, not really sure why.

Joe Henderson played the shit out of "Invitation" any number of times.

Not too many tunes that I dislike that a really good rhythm section and just the right tempo can't make me dislike less, but "Maiden Voyage", "Nardis", and "Waltz For Debby" come pretty damn close. The first two I once liked (lots) but...

There's others, but those are the first three that spring to mind with no time required to think about it .

Satin Doll grates on my nerves, always has, not really sure why.

Probably because people play it as a "tune" when it's really an orchestral composition.

Same thing with A-Train (and many other Ellington "favorites").

The real meat on those bones is in the section parts, not the lead lines by their lonesome.

Stella by Starlight kind of grates on me. Also, When Sunny Gets Blue.

I actually heard the source version of Stella By Starlight (the 1944 supernatural film The Uninvited) prior to hearing a jazz version of it. When I first heard the Miles version from 1958 Miles I was like...oh yeah, I've seen that!

Stella by Starlight kind of grates on me. Also, When Sunny Gets Blue.

I actually heard the source version of Stella By Starlight (the 1944 supernatural film The Uninvited) prior to hearing a jazz version of it. When I first heard the Miles version from 1958 Miles I was like...oh yeah, I've seen that!

The Uninvited is a fine spooky movie, and Stella fits the dramatic situation nicely.

Another song that kind of grates on me is The Way You Look Tonight.

At one time I got very tired of "Walkin'" and "Bag's Groove," but you don't hear them that much any more.

"'Round Midnight" performed well remains great, but performed by rote, which very often is the case, it's a drag.

"Just Squeeze Me" in its vocal form gives me the willies. The same with "Don't Get Around Much Any More."

"Footprints" has been played into the ground.

Likewise with Dorham's "Blue Bossa."

Perhaps it doesn't really count, but "The Theme."

I'm a big fan of Horace Silver, but "The Preacher" wore out its welcome almost immediately IMO.