MLB 2012 Season

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't need domed stadium, team has learned to use the heat to their advantage. Work the counts, make the opposing pitchers work, watch them start to wilt, Rangers win games if their pitching holds up, which it has come to do. Holland, Harrison, Colby, Feliz, all those guys are acclimated to it and know how to work in it. Yu learned, just as he learns everything. Rangers had more injuries to pitchers this year than anytime in recent memory, and they still kept going ok. It was in the spring, not the Summer, that they had the series with Seattle where they let Seattle score touchdowns instead of runs. I still have nightmares about those games... :g

No, it wasn't the heat itself that wore them out this year, it was the decision that giving rookies too many spot starts to give the regulars rest in August and, especially, September, was not the best choice given the ongoing dynamics of the division race. In retrospect, that was probably not the correct decision for both physical and mental reasons, but as hot as this summer was, last summer was more hotter more longer, and the team went to the WS for the second year in a row.

Besides, The Ballpark as is is a glorious place to experience a game. Doming it would just suck, period.

Don't need domed stadium, team has learned to use the heat to their advantage. Work the counts, make the opposing pitchers work, watch them start to wilt, Rangers win games if their pitching holds up, which it has come to do. Holland, Harrison, Colby, Feliz, all those guys are acclimated to it and know how to work in it. Yu learned, just as he learns everything. Rangers had more injuries to pitchers this year than anytime in recent memory, and they still kept going ok. It was in the spring, not the Summer, that they had the series with Seattle where they let Seattle score touchdowns instead of runs. I still have nightmares about those games... :g

No, it wasn't the heat itself that wore them out this year, it was the decision that giving rookies too many spot starts to give the regulars rest in August and, especially, September, was not the best choice given the ongoing dynamics of the division race. In retrospect, that was probably not the correct decision for both physical and mental reasons, but as hot as this summer was, last summer was more hotter more longer, and the team went to the WS for the second year in a row.

Besides, The Ballpark as is is a glorious place to experience a game. Doming it would just suck, period.

everyone loves that park.

Still stinging from last Friday's game when DC had a 6-1 lead yet lost to St L, but I sort of hope St L takes it tonight so that they are messed up by as many days off as Detroit's going to get.

COMPLETELY unfair and so Selig-like for the late season hot team with the inferior regular season record to win. Why even play 162 games? Let's see what happens if St L cools off.

In the end I will root for the NL team because I still do root for my league representative in the World Series just about every year. Guess I am old fashioned that way. Irrational holding on to the League concept, I know.

Edited by Neal Pomea

Still stinging from last Friday's game when DC had a 6-1 lead yet lost to St L, but I sort of hope St L takes it tonight so that they are messed up by as many days off as Detroit's going to get.

COMPLETELY unfair and so Selig-like for the late season hot team with the inferior regular season record to win. Why even play 162 games? Let's see what happens if St L cools off.

In the end I will root for the NL team because I still do root for my league representative in the World Series just about every year. Guess I am old fashioned that way. Irrational holding on to the League concept, I know.

the elderly davey johnson sat on his hands with a full bullpen when the lead was collapsing, and they are going to bring him back????? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

How about Zito bunting for an RBI basehit with two outs? Ballsy move and very smart with Freese playing back at third. Of course Zito had to hustle to first and the throw was a bit off, but I was watching and let out a few holy s--ts.

+ throwing those unhittable 70mph curve balls. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

He's kind of becoming the rich man's Bill Lee....

So this Zito guy...sucks? Not sucks? Confusing? Yes?

Failing that, that busted play at second, I saw that that ball bounce off that base and I said aHA there's that Devilball coming out to play and this time it's Ricky-Rocky what gets to pay for it.

But this Zito guy - loser who wins big game, winner who loses little game? Still confused, please advise?

How about Zito bunting for an RBI basehit with two outs? Ballsy move and very smart with Freese playing back at third. Of course Zito had to hustle to first and the throw was a bit off, but I was watching and let out a few holy s--ts.

+ throwing those unhittable 70mph curve balls. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

his daddy, torrie, was a bigtime, and very very good, conducter/ arranger. :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

So this Zito guy...sucks? Not sucks? Confusing? Yes?

Failing that, that busted play at second, I saw that that ball bounce off that base and I said aHA there's that Devilball coming out to play and this time it's Ricky-Rocky what gets to pay for it.

But this Zito guy - loser who wins big game, winner who loses little game? Still confused, please advise?

I don't understand it either, but we'll take it.

What interests me is how the media harps on Lynn's error. You know, there was a fair amount of hitting going on, too. Oh, well. The Eastern media guys just can't stand to see the Giants win.

On to San Francisco.

One game at a time.

End of the era of self-entitlement for Yankee fans. Let the new "Horace Clarke" era begin.

yankee fans on new york talk radio are near suicidal, blaming everyone in sight and wanting to get rid of them. :excited::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Having grown up in NYC, I can honestly say that the "suicidal" thing didn't begin until the Yankees won in '96 and the fans came to expect playoff appearances to be purchased by ownership annually. Prior to that, Yankee fans more closely fit the "normal" mold of hoping for (not really expecting) an OCCASIONAL championship. Those of you who are willing to admit it, would agree with this assessment if only because you remember your expectations not being so high as you read the "Joe Who?" headline captured on the back pages of more than one NY rag when the most overrated baseball idiot (I can say this because this same idiot managed my team less than 20 years earlier) of all time was hired to manage your team.

As far as the extraordinarily shortsighted "World Series Tournament" comment earlier in this thread goes, if the regular season best record guaranteed a champeenship, there'd be no need to have the playoffs. I can think of at least 10 Championship series SINCE 1968 that featured at least one of the best teams in the majors, if not both. Hyperbole on internet forums is apparently at least as common as talk of suicide is in NY these days.

Edited by JETman

The Rangers just hired Dave Magadan as their hitting coach, Magadan being the Red Sox hitting coach since 2007.

Not sure what to think?

Here's what you should think:

"My team now employs a guy who could only hit singles as its hitting coach". Almost as ludicrous as when the Mets recently employed a guy who used to routinely strike out 200 times a year as their hitting coach.

Magadan and Greg Jefferies were the 2 biggest "great white hope" disappointments of all my years as a Mets fan. Piece of trivia for ya: As a player with but a few games major league experience, Magadan started the game against Eckersley and the Cubs at Shea Stadium the night the Mets clinched the NL East in 1986. Refusing to be upstaged, Mex forced Davey Johnson to put him into the game in the top of the 9th (replacing a 3 singles (did I really need to point this out) in 3 AB's Magadan) so that he could be on the field for the impending celebration. Once a party animal, always a party animal!

Edited by JETman

his daddy, torrie, was a bigtime, and very very good, conducter/ arranger. :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

Are you sure about that? I never heard that mentioned, though that would be cool because the Giants already have a major music connection where Bruce Jenkins, a well know San Francisco sports writer, is the son of Gordon Jenkins.

Zito pitched great last night. There are times when, completely out of the blue, Zito pitches a gem, and last night was one of those, he best game as a Giants. As Goody says, it one game at a time now.

The Rangers just hired Dave Magadan as their hitting coach, Magadan being the Red Sox hitting coach since 2007.

Not sure what to think?

"My team now employs a guy who could only hit singles as its hitting coach". Almost as ludicrous as when the Mets recently employed a guy who used to routinely strike out 200 times a year as their hitting coach.

Would worry about that part except for:

66-329Bk.jpg

Are you sure about that? I never heard that mentioned, though that would be cool because the Giants already have a major music connection where Bruce Jenkins, a well know San Francisco sports writer, is the son of Gordon Jenkins.

JOE ZITO DIED IN 2009

LINK

HIS MOTHER

Edited by alocispepraluger102

But that's Joe Zito, not Torrie Zito (or Totrre's drummer brother Ronnie)....although if you combine their first names, you have Joe Torrie, and taht is a baseball name, if not a correctly spelled one.

Torrie Zito married Helen Merrill.

THAT WAS MY BAD. I WAS WRONG, BUT CLOSE...........

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Not sure what to think?

Would worry about that part except for:

66-329Bk.jpg

I'm afraid you misunderstand. Don't get me wrong -- Magadan could hit and had a picture perfect swing, but he just couldn't drive the ball with it. This was all tongue in cheek, btw. I don't believe hitting coaches play any real part in the hitting success (or lack thereof) that a team has. MLB players tend to be stubborn and seem to always believe that their way is best. Who's to argue?

zito-northstar.gif

http://mlb.mlb.com/twitter/index.jsp?partnerId=aw-4706111875448660919-996#s=zito

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8526051/barry-zito-nlcs-game-5-masterpiece-sends-series-back-san-francisco

But one of these days, if the impact of this #rallyzito phenomenon ever hits home, he'll be shocked to learn that for Giants fans from Stockton to Stockholm, he somehow become part of one of the most inspirational hashtag outbursts on planet earth. By the time the Giants finished off a win that forced the NLCS back to San Francisco with the Cardinals now leading three games to two, the mystical powers of #rallyzito-ism had pretty much taken over modern civilization.

Among trending Twitter topics, it ranked No. 2 in the entire world -- yup, we said the world -- ahead of even #SoyTanRebelde and (yes, it's true) #AdrianaEstevesDeservesAnOscar. We're not sure what that says about the world. But apparently, there are a lot of Giants fans tweeting in it.

1350717040' post='1234014']

1350687288' post='1233949']

Not sure what to think?

Magadan and Greg Jefferies were the 2 biggest "great white hope" disappointments of all my years as a Mets fan. Piece of trivia for ya: As a player with but a few games major league experience, Magadan started the game against Eckersley and the Cubs at Shea Stadium the night the Mets clinched the NL East in 1986. Refusing to be upstaged, Mex forced Davey Johnson to put him into the game in the top of the 9th (replacing a 3 singles (did I really need to point this out) in 3 AB's Magadan) so that he could be on the field for the impending celebration. Once a party animal, always a party animal!

Mags' problem was he replaced a legend. I didn't see his career as disappointing, just not as good as it could have been. He had a beautiful swing but let's face it he wasn't your prototypical first baseman. There was no other place they could put him. Another piece of trivia: he's Lou Pinella's cousin.

Jeffries was in a difficult position. He was a wunderkid but the players didn't really accept him. He had a rough time in NY. He could have been a great player, a great Met but it didn't work out. A hitter without a position. Good doubles hitter. Bounced around after he left Mets.

Edited by Brad