MLB 2012 Season

1350717040' post='1234014']

1350687288' post='1233949']

The Rangers just hired Dave Magadan as their hitting coach, Magadan being the Red Sox hitting coach since 2007.

Not sure what to think?

Here's what you should think:

"My team now employs a guy who could only hit singles as its hitting coach". Almost as ludicrous as when the Mets recently employed a guy who used to routinely strike out 200 times a year as their hitting coach.

Magadan and Greg Jefferies were the 2 biggest "great white hope" disappointments of all my years as a Mets fan. Piece of trivia for ya: As a player with but a few games major league experience, Magadan started the game against Eckersley and the Cubs at Shea Stadium the night the Mets clinched the NL East in 1986. Refusing to be upstaged, Mex forced Davey Johnson to put him into the game in the top of the 9th (replacing a 3 singles (did I really need to point this out) in 3 AB's Magadan) so that he could be on the field for the impending celebration. Once a party animal, always a party animal!

Mags' problem was he replaced a legend. I didn't see his career as disappointing, just not as good as it could have been. He had a beautiful swing but let's face it he wasn't your prototypical first baseman. There was no other place they could put him. Another piece of trivia: he's Lou Pinella's cousin.

Jeffries was in a difficult position. He was a wunderkid but the players didn't really accept him. He had a rough time in NY. He could have been a great player, a great Met but it didn't work out. A hitter without a position. Good doubles hitter. Bounced around after he left Mets.

I believe you meant "wunderkind". Whatever. Neither lived up to his potential. Magadan would've been what he was regardless. Jeffries' problem was even larger -- he was an immature brat, not unlike Jeff Kent.

I get the feeling that the Mets' exalted scouting department is about to lay more of these overrated types on us. Looking forward to mediocrity well into the 2020's.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, if St. Louis wins, the two play-off teams with the worst records will meet in the "World Series." I'm starting to think the last real World Series was 1968, everything afterwards is the World Series Tournament.

Agreed!

Speaking of the Tournament, it occurred to me today that for the first time the headlines that I saw this week said, "Tigers win ALCS" rather than "Tigers win pennant".

Edited by GA Russell

So, if St. Louis wins, the two play-off teams with the worst records will meet in the "World Series." I'm starting to think the last real World Series was 1968, everything afterwards is the World Series Tournament.

Agreed!

Speaking of the Tournament, it occurred to me today that for the first time the headlines that I saw this week said, "Tigers win ALCS" rather than "Tigers win pennant".

One more shoveling of the collective sub-conscious into the notion that you're only really a "winner" if you finish all the way on top.

A lot of that going around these days, and there's only one way it ends up...beware, brother, beware.

Agreed!

One more shoveling of the collective sub-conscious into the notion that you're only really a "winner" if you finish all the way on top.

A lot of that going around these days, and there's only one way it ends up...beware, brother, beware.

Yankees fans need to take a lesson here.

Meanwhile, my Gigantes play tomorrow for a chance to play again on Monday.

Win or lose, this has been a terrific season.

GO Giants!!!!

YOUR GIANTS ARE SO YOUNG AND SO WELL SET FOR YEARS TO COME.

A LOGICAL MOVE WOULD BE TO MOVE POSIE TO 1ST BASE. WILL IT HAPPEN????

I can see that, but Posey is a such good catcher, and those are hard to come by, though it is interesting that Posey now no longer catches Lincecum, and there have been rumblings about how he calls a game. OTOH, Cain loves pitching to Posey and says he rarely shakes him off. Plus, Brandon Belt is starting to come on as a player at First. So, what I'm saying is that your guess is as good as mine. shrug[1].gif

John Farrell replaces Bobby Valentine, and this works for me because:

• Lester, Buchholz and Bard all thrived under him, and have declined without him. Of course, he's not back as pitching coach but that's his bailiwick and I think they'll do better with him as manager.

• I'm ready for the Jose Iglesias at SS era to begin, now that Mike Aviles is shipped off to Toronto. I know Iglesias may only swing a wet noodle for a bat, but his defense is off-the-charts and I'll bet a lot of pitchers would sacrifice one spot in the lineup to have a glove like that behind them. Plus for his modest power, Aviles was awful from an OBP and BA perspective. How else do you slug so many homers and doubles and still have an OPS+ of 76? If Iglesias has an OPS+ of 60 I'll be satisfied, because of what he'll do with the glove.

John Farrell replaces Bobby Valentine, and this works for me because:

• Lester, Buchholz and Bard all thrived under him, and have declined without him. Of course, he's not back as pitching coach but that's his bailiwick and I think they'll do better with him as manager.

• I'm ready for the Jose Iglesias at SS era to begin, now that Mike Aviles is shipped off to Toronto. I know Iglesias may only swing a wet noodle for a bat, but his defense is off-the-charts and I'll bet a lot of pitchers would sacrifice one spot in the lineup to have a glove like that behind them. Plus for his modest power, Aviles was awful from an OBP and BA perspective. How else do you slug so many homers and doubles and still have an OPS+ of 76? If Iglesias has an OPS+ of 60 I'll be satisfied, because of what he'll do with the glove.

FARRELL, BEFORE IN BOSTON AS PITCHING COACH, WAS THE INDIANS HEAD FARM DIRECTOR. THEY HAVEN'T DEVELOPED CRAP SINCE FAARRELL LEFT, PLUS HE'S A WONDERFUL FELLOW.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Giants and Tigers have never met in the World Series.

You would think so back in Ty Cobb's day.

3 World Series appearances in a row and not another one after age 22. Never a champion and a lousy batting average in the World Series too. What a loser!

I think that gets overlooked because his bigotry and antisocial behavior trumps it. Also that it happened a longass time ago too.