MLB 2012 Season

How in the world can a guy get popped for a DUI if he's parked and asleep?

I mean, doesn't the "D" in DUI stand for "Driving"? :blink:

In many (maybe most) states if the key is in the ignition (whether the engine is running) they'll get you for it. Once in a great while someone drunk gets into a car, puts the keys in the ignition but thinks the better of it and sleeps it off in the car. Because the keys are in the ignition and not in the pocket it can mean a headache if an officer finds the person this way.

I don't know the details but I imagine the investigation was led by what condition he was in when he drove to the cornfield.

Assuming that he did drive himself there, yes. There is no proof to that effect. He was asleep and stopped....and in a cornfield. Not many cars in a cornfield. DUI is a driving violation. Corn is an agricultural product. I'm not seeing a connection.

Thank God in my state, you actually have to be driving to get arrested for Driving Under the Influence. Hence, the term.

I think at most he should have been arrested for public intoxication, but there again, that is assuming corn can be considered "public".

Was it his own cornfield? Might have made a difference.

Good point. Otherwise, assuming he didn't drive himself there, Mr. Fisk sure would have a bone to pick with whoever drove him into a field, pushed him into the drivers seat and left him there to sleep it off while said driver had a nice walk through the corn back home. Maybe Mr. FIsk and his friends enjoy pulling pranks on each other. Though of course there's no proof of that. <_<

There is no proof of driving. That is the key point.

The rest is pure conjecture.

If we are OK with popping people based on assumption, then what's next? Put a guy in jail because he lives on the same street the criminal does and simply upon the basis we can assume he had something to do with his criminal behavior because he knew the guy?

C'mon.

I was agreeing with you ("Good point") though my choice of icon was not the best. There can be both conjecture that he did drive his own truck and an assumption that he didn't because there were no witnesses, hence no proof. I was making a speculation that if someone drove him there Fisk would have reason to be pissed at them since he was arrested as a result. Just commenting on one possible circumstance. Not everything's a challenge to your opinions. C'mon.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the days off for the Tigers threw them off. Baseball is largely about feel day by day. While a football team might benefit from extra days off, not a baseball team.

There's no way in this tournament system to formulate some sort of incentive or advantage for winning your pennant early or even winning your division.

Still, the Giants regular season was something to be proud of, and this tournament could have been much worse if St. Louis were in the WS. It WILL be crazy in the future with this system.

Edited by Neal Pomea

OK.

Tim McCarver is just in annoying dickhead overdrive tonight.

"Verlander doesn't want to end the WS with a loss." Gee. Ya think so? Name a player who does.

"The Giants are on the verge of winning the WS." Wow! Genius!

Then there is the 24-7-365 replay of Posey tagging Fielder out at the plate.

A dozen references to the Tigers not hitting.

Meaningless statistics about no team has ever won while wearing white socks on a Tuesday.

GEEZ. Stop it already.

Looks like the days off for the Tigers threw them off. Baseball is largely about feel day by day. While a football team might benefit from extra days off, not a baseball team.

Perhaps but the record has been favorable to teams that have more time off. My favorite blurb from a CBS Sports article about "rest":

"Teams winning the World Series have had on average, um, 2.90476 days of rest prior to Game 1. Teams losing the World Series have had on average, um, 2.90476 days of rest prior to Game 1. Once the Tigers and Giants are done, they'll throw these numbers off, but for now let us admire the symmetry and excess of significant digits."

I think the issue regarding regular season records is that teams do not play anywhere near the same schedule, hence obsessing about them is misguided. The Tigers played 54 games vs. KC, Minnesota & Cleveland. That's 1/3 of the schedule! They actually had a losing record vs. Cleveland (8-10) and went only 10-8 vs. Minnesota. The Mariners were 5-1 against them. They just aren't that good.

OK.

"Verlander doesn't want to end the WS with a loss." Gee. Ya think so? Name a player who does.

Meaningless statistics about no team has ever won while wearing white socks on a Tuesday.

GEEZ. Stop it already.

Even though I'm listening to the Giants radio guys, I really dislike this interviewing players while the game is going on, it cheapens the game.

1351482875' post='1236146']

Darn, I'd still like some more baseball.

But Giants outplayed Tigers on every level at every opportunity, so the sweep was rightly swept. Most impressive!

Agreed. Thought it might be Tigers night but pitching is too good. They've now won as many titles in three years as the prior 60 plus. Take it anyway you can get it smile.gif

Congrats to Giants and their fans like Goodie. Also glad for ex Met Angel Pagan.

Edited by Brad

Not really a Giants fan (or much of a baseball fan anymore) but hooray for Bochy! Some of the familiar names are still around, even if they're in odd places...

Those old San Diego Padres keep cropping up, and don't forget the third base coach, Tim Flannery (he's even a Deadhead). Not only do I love the Giants winning the Series, but that the National League seems to be ascendant over the Junior Circuit (does anyone use that phrase anymore for the American League?), thus proving Heywood Broun's point: Tradition carries a nasty wallop. Get rid of the DH.

PS: This is really amazing thing about the Giants winning two pennants in three years:

Over the past 90 years, only three other National League franchises have pulled that off -- the 1975-76 edition of the Big Red Machine, the 1963-65 Dodgers and the 1942-44 Cardinals.

Edited by Matthew

PS: This is really amazing thing about the Giants winning two pennants in three years:

Over the past 90 years, only three other National League franchises have pulled that off -- the 1975-76 edition of the Big Red Machine, the 1963-65 Dodgers and the 1942-44 Cardinals.

To me the strangest thing was how different the roster was. Because of Panda's benching in the previous Giant World Series only their battery at times was the same. They even had a different closer. Most teams with that sort makeover rebuild, not win another title. Obviously it helps if you keep a great pitching staff pretty much intact, although even that was tweaked a little bit. Remarkable.

To me the strangest thing was how different the roster was. Because of Panda's benching in the previous Giant World Series only their battery at times was the same. They even had a different closer. Most teams with that sort makeover rebuild, not win another title. Obviously it helps if you keep a great pitching staff pretty much intact, although even that was tweaked a little bit. Remarkable.

Yeah, unlike this year's Cardinals, who had many of the same devil-faces from last year, the difference between the 2010 Giants and the 2012 Giants was so extreme that I had really couldn't look at them as anything other than "some team" instead of the c**k-suckers who DESERVE TO DIE!!!! :g.

Gone - or nearly invisible - were were such grunt-inducing malefactors Cody Ross, Aubrey Huff, Edgar Renteria, Freddy Sanchez..who else? Even Brian Wilson, the one guy I could have hated on (and just because his schtick was getting really, REALLY tired, imo), was relegated to DL bench-riding while sporting red nail polish (?!?!?!?!), little more than a curiosity. These 2012 Giants were not those 2010 Giants, and much for the better! The 2010 guys won fair and square and with lights out pitching but..Cody Ross? really?

Although I would've preferred a more competitive series (but the Tigers have been a streaky team all year, so...hey too bad, but at least thanks for getting rid of the Yankees) and maybe under different circumstances would have gotten one, between Hunter Pence & Sergio Romo (and really, is Wilson now expendable? if not immediately, maybe as next year progresses, if Romo continues his reliability?) and All The (Other) Young Dudes , you got some really likeable personas to feel good about seeing winning this year. At least I feel good about it.

Oh and thanks for the congrats, guys :g

BTW...is it just me or was Bud Selig's presentation of the WS trophy somewhat, um...lack luster? I mean, he sounded either half asleep or completely disinterested.

Wierd.

I remember the feeling. :unsure:

I feel for you, Dan.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Selig's a douche, simple as that.

Well he sure proved that last night by offering the WS trophy like he was delivering a eulogy.

Maybe he missed his calling as an undertaker.

OK.

GEEZ. Stop it already.

Even though I'm listening to the Giants radio guys, I really dislike this interviewing players while the game is going on, it cheapens the game.

I totally agree.

That on-field camera crap needs to go, too.

This isn't football.

If their is any fairness to be offered Selig, it's that post-game presentations tend to be a little more "low-key" when made in the locker room of a visiting team than they are when they're made on-field for a home team.

That's it, Bud, that's all you get from me. And that took a lot of exertion. If I have to miss work or have some clothes cleaned in the aftermath, I'm sending you the bill.

You're confusing the term "pennant" with "World Series Winner". The pennant winner goes to the World Series.

You're confusing the term "pennant" with "World Series Winner". The pennant winner goes to the World Series.

Yup, as far as NL pennants the most recent 2 in at least 3 years includes your Phillies who won pennants in '08 & '09 (champs in '08).

Cards had pennants in '04 & '06 (title in '06).

Braves pennants in '95 & '96 (title '95). Pennants in '91 & '92 as well.

Dodgers pennants in '77-'78.

Cards pennants in '67 & '68 (champ in '67).

The AL has done the champion thing more often because of the Yankees and Mustache Gang A's, and if pennants Tony's A's the Earl Weaver O's get thrown in there as well. But mostly Yankees, Yankees and Yankees again. ;)

Edited by Quincy