Regarding Rodney King Thread

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JAW locked the other thread and posted a broken link for the supposed other thread

Do not see any other RK thread and did a search

Is it in the politics section?

Do not want to send him a pm about this issue

How about verifying stuff before posting something that's not true?? Get your facts straight and don't post false info about me - I am not a moderator anymore (I resigned more than a year ago) and did not lock your thread; I couldn't, even if I wanted to. The only thing I did was post a link to the earlier thread about Rodney King's passing; that thread was posted in the Politics/Religion forum. The link isn't broken, but if you don't have access to the Politics/Religion forum you can't see the other thread.

Edited by J.A.W.

If he has "Politics/Religion" blocked, would his search find it?

Don't know and don't really care. That's no excuse for flinging crap at the walls. Besides, he is aware of the politics/religion forum, could reasonably assume that there might already be a King thread there, thus no mystery. Finally, and speaking only as the annoying moderator I am, if someone locks a thread I've started, the first thing I'd do is think what reasonable cause there might be for this rather than make accusations. If SS is sincerely puzzled, he could have asked a simple question.

I saw a question, and a misconception that Hans closed the thread which isn't that odd as Hans used to be a prominent moderator.

Nonsense, if he had done some research or if he had asked me before posting his allegation, he would have known that my moderator days ended more than a year ago and that I couldn't have locked his thread. His ignorance is no excuse for his false allegation, which I don't take lightly - as my earlier post well shows.

Edited by J.A.W.

Everyone is so prickly.

I don' see any "shit" on the walls.

I saw a question, and a misconception that Hans closed the thread which isn't that odd as Hans used to be a prominent moderator.

Too bad we can' all get along.

Nonsense about the Hans business. When he was a moderator, however "prominent," there also were two other moderators.

Hey, Chuck Nessa and Joe Fields both produce recordings, so if I say that Fields produced those great Roscoe Mitchell albums, that would be a "misconception"? Among the many reasons we can't all get along is that we don't think before we open our mouths.

And another thing: this criticizing of moderators on the public board by members who, unlike moderators, bear no responsibility for the board at all, has irked me for years. If you don't agree with any decisions made, get in touch with the moderator(s), if necessary via the report button, but keep it civil and don't post (often personal) attacks on the public board. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by J.A.W.

I think the moderators are "prickly" because almost every act of moderation here is greeted with personal indignation. That gets a little tiring, especially for folks who are doing a thankless job. It's one of the major reasons, if I'm not mistaken, that Hans retired.

Anyway, yes there's another RK thread in the Politics forum. It's undeniably a highly charged issue, so I think it's appropriate to have a thread there.

How much effort is one supposed to put into searching before posting and it's not easy to discover who's a moderator an not in a simple search. Sorry, I just don't see it the same way Hans. And the moderators are coming back with attitude or introducing attitude.

I don't really care either way and I'm NOT criticizing the moderators, I just see both sides here and want to get along. Bowing out of the thread.

How much effort is one supposed to put into searching before posting and it's not easy to discover who's a moderator an not in a simple search. Sorry, I just don't see it the same way Hans. And the moderators are coming back with attitude or introducing attitude.

I don't really care either way and I'm NOT criticizing the moderators, I just see both sides here and want to get along. Bowing out of the thread.

About how much effort to put into a search, I can't say for sure because this one, involving the politics/religion forum, is a somewhat special case. OTOH, you wouldn't necessarily know this, but some board members, though frequently admonished, post duplicate threads on a fairly regular basis, either without searching at all or just because they don't care or Lord knows why. And I/we have to clean it up.

It's very easy to see who's a moderator - they have "Staff" or "Super Moderator" (Rolf) under their handle in the left-hand column of each of their posts and their "group" below that is "moderator", for everyone to see. There's nothing like that under my handle, so the conclusion is simple: I'm not a moderator. You don't have to be a rocket scientist or brain surgeon to understand that. Good grief...

As for you "attitude" remark, well, I don't think it'd be wise to go into that.

Edited by J.A.W.

Larry, since taking posts on a duplicate thread and adding them into the existing one is such a pain in the posterior, how about simply closing the duplicate thread with a post along the lines of "if you posted here please re-post your thoughts here." And send a sternly worded PM to the repeat offender who started the duplicate thread.

Then mods wouldn't feel quite so put-upon on this part of the non-paying job.

Larry, since taking posts on a duplicate thread and adding them into the existing one is such a pain in the posterior, how about simply closing the duplicate thread with a post along the lines of "if you posted here please re-post your thoughts here." And send a sternly worded PM to the repeat offender who started the duplicate thread.

Good idea, except for the PM part. More work, and if the thread starter can't figure it out by then, no PM probably is going to wake that person up. Also, PM exchanges tend to get too personal in my experience. As a psychoanalyst who had a stroke and recovered from it said to a colleague who asked why, if had recovered, he had nonetheless retired: "I can't handle the hostility."

In a somewhat similar vein, I just ran across this in a new book by Charles Rosen: "When I was writing a review of Alban Berg's correspondence, I remarked to an elderly and very distinguished psychoanalyst, Sophie Lazarsfeld, that I was surprised by how many of Schoenberg's students seemed to enjoy being so badly treated by him. She replied: 'I have no time to explain this just now, but I can assure you that there are a great many masochists and not nearly enough sadists to go around.'"

Good idea, except for the PM part. More work, and if the thread starter can't figure it out by then, no PM probably is going to wake that person up. Also, PM exchanges tend to get too personal in my experience. As a psychoanalyst who had stroke and recovered from it said to a colleague who asked why, if had recovered, he had nonetheless retired: "I can't handle the hostility."

In a somewhat similar vein, I just ran across this in a new book by Charles Rosen: "When I was writing a review of Alban Berg's correspondence, I remarked to an elderly and very distinguished psychoanalyst, Sophie Lazarsfeld, that I was surprised by how many of Schoenberg's students seemed to enjoy being so badly treated by him. She replied: 'I have no time to explain this just now, but I can assure you that there are a great many masochists and not nearly enough sadists to go around.'"

Larry's right about PMs getting personal. I got more than I care to remember when I was a moderator; it was one of the reasons why I quit.

It's very easy to see who's a moderator - they have "Staff" or "Super Moderator" (Rolf) under their handle in the left-hand column of each of their posts and their "group" below that is "moderator", for everyone to see. There's nothing like that under my handle, so the conclusion is simple: I'm not a moderator. You don't have to be a rocket scientist or brain surgeon to understand that. Good grief...

My last post: regarding the attitude: Larry wrote "Some search you did there." That's attitude.

I've seen moderators bitching about what a pain in the butt duplicate threads bring/are. Why not just let them lie? How are they such a cancerous evil? People who search seem to do fine. People who don't search, don't search.

My last post: regarding the attitude: Larry wrote "Some search you did there." That's attitude.

I've seen moderators bitching about what a pain in the butt duplicate threads bring/are. Why not just let them lie? How are they such a cancerous evil? People who search seem to do fine. People who don't search, don't search.

How about the attitude of the original poster? If there's anyone who introduced attitude here, it's him. By the way, he's been conspicuous by his absence in this thread; I noticed that he visited the board several times since he posted it.

Edited by J.A.W.

About leaving duplicate threads lie, the reason one doesn't/shouldn't do that is that then information on one subject resides in two different places, which makes it that much harder to keep track of, no? Further, of course, if everything on a subject is on one thread, replies to what it being said there form a coherent -- need I say it? -- thread, rather than leaving say, your bright response to a point made on thread one unread by someone on thread two who otherwise might have wished to respond in kind to what you've just said. But, no, were just making all this stuff up because we like to wear badges.

To me it's all just conversations. Many of those go off into the air. Time is killed, entertainment was made, some facts were put out. Facts are often repeated over and over in conversations.

I don't view this place as a collection of essays about jazz, or a discographic haven, or an encyclopedia of jazz etc. It's a watering hole, a meeting hall, a water cooler, a club. Duplications don't bother me, if you let them all be as they are I'd be fine. I wonder how many of us are on this side of the fence. All I'll say is thanks for all the work you do, but I personally don't want you to feel obligated to do it for my sake.

And Hans, yes there's plenty of attitude on posters' part, but is it the moderator's job to sling it back? I see that a lot is all I'm saying. You can't win if you're a moderator I guess. Thanks for all you do.

That's one of the funniest probably-unintentional jokes I've ever heard!