Les McCann - invitation to openness (1972)

slide_advantage_redoux

I picked up a few low priced sides the other day at Goodwill. Among them is this '72 release by Les McCann "Invitation to Openness" (Atlantic)

I'd be the last person here to say I am an expert or even conversant when it comes to McCann. I honestly haven't checked out that much of his music, aside from the oaccasional release with Eddie Harris.

But when I sat down and listened to this, I started to get the idea that there is a pretty evident iMiles influence. At times (at least on side A 'the lovers') it reminded me of On the Corner or maybe Bitches Brew. I can't really pin it down specifically, but that was my impression.

Feedback?

I kind of like this album occasionaly. It's not vintage McCann, but it's interesting. I wouldn't know about the Miles Davis influence; you may be right, but the man who infuenced McCann a lot in the seventies was Stevie Wonder and I can hear some of those ideas in 'The lovers'. Not so much in the two tracks on side 2, they're more like the regular Les McCann.

MG

Always liked this one, and do hear the Miles influence. Hadn't considered the Wonder flavor as well, but could be, for sure.

It's another one of those washy-y Rhodes-y space-y albums that everybody made post-Bitches Brew, like all the rock bands made psychedelic concept albums after Sgt. Pepper. Very atypical Mccann, but I think he does it well. Apparently. Layers is the one that trips everybody out, but...I just don't hear it there. This one, i do.

Always liked this one, and do hear the Miles influence. Hadn't considered the Wonder flavor as well, but could be, for sure.

It's another one of those washy-y Rhodes-y space-y albums that everybody made post-Bitches Brew, like all the rock bands made psychedelic concept albums after Sgt. Pepper. Very atypical Mccann, but I think he does it well. Apparently. Layers is the one that trips everybody out, but...I just don't hear it there. This one, i do.

I agree. I think there's a "spacier" improvised vibe to ITO using a Rhodes

than there was using an Arp Odyssey on Layers.

I don't know what's happened to him. I saw him at ROnnie's in Londinium a few years ago. He was playing, though he told me he'd lost most of the movement in his right hand/arm. Dunno how he did it. But he was VERY overweight and had some knee or leg problem, to make matters worse.

MG

Haven't listened to this in a while, but recall that it's a fun album. I remember it being more like In a Silent Way - it doesn't have Bitches Brews's more aggressive tendencies. Basically for people who like IaSW and don't mind something a little more watered down. (I'd say the same thing about Electric Byrd.)

I really enjoy Invitation To Openness. Other albums I find comparable for some reason are Larry Coryell Barefoot Boy, Pat Martino/Gil Goldstein We'll Be Together Again, Rahsaan Roland Kirk Case Of The Three Sided Dream In Audio Color, and Yusef Lateef Suite 16 and Part Of The Search. Although they don't have similar sounds and have recognizably separate tracks, they're all an "album experience" with a theme imposed over the duration. They're fun to throw on and listen to entire.

Layers is fascinating from an electronic music perspective (ei. Raymond Scott). It's a bit like Jan Hammer's The First Seven Days, but with a more hip hop-prescient drum sense.