Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been reading some of Naguib Mahfouz's shorter novels from the 1960s.  I wasn't crazy about Autumn Quail, but I thought The Search was interesting.  (Some links to Crime and Punishment, a novel which I assume Mahfouz was at least aware of...)

Just starting back into Alice Munro's short stories (Open Secrets) and rereading Saramago's Blindness.

9781860466854.jpg

9 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Very enjoyable.  I saw the movie fifty years ago, but all I can remember is the car chase and that the Robert Vaughn character was a jerk!

Bullitt

Bullitt is one of my favorite movies. I’ve seen it countless times. Steve McQueen did his own stunts. The jazz score by Lalo Schifrin is terrific. 

On 11/1/2023 at 6:43 PM, adh1907 said:

A month in the country, JL Carr. Quirky and moving. Loved it. 

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2010/aug/08/jl-carr-month-in-country

Anthony

Yes, I enjoyed this, and it is short enough that I can reread it when the mood strikes.

Turtle Diary by Russell Hoban is in some ways even quirkier (and also short).  I enjoyed this a lot and also will reread it at some point.

9781590176467.jpg?scaleup=true&width=600

Rereading The Sun Also Rises for the first time since my undergrad days...

Hemingway-Sun-cover-half-o-scaled.jpg

I have read & enjoyed nearly all of Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli & Isles books so the synopsis of her new one, "The Spy Coast" caught me off guard. A spy novel? About a group of retired spies? Sounds a bit like the movie "Red" right? But it's not. "Red" got me to laugh. This story was not funny at all. Action & intrigue reign here. There's some romance but it's mostly of the flashback variety.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I bought it Monday and finished it late last night. I just couldn't put it down. Highly recommended if you like these types of books.

image.jpeg.845727dc07fc21e9d3463a0906c7a180.jpeg

On 11/7/2023 at 11:30 AM, ejp626 said:

Yes, I enjoyed this, and it is short enough that I can reread it when the mood strikes.

Turtle Diary by Russell Hoban is in some ways even quirkier (and also short).  I enjoyed this a lot and also will reread it at some point.

9781590176467.jpg?scaleup=true&width=600

Rereading The Sun Also Rises for the first time since my undergrad days...

Hemingway-Sun-cover-half-o-scaled.jpg

If you’re at all interested in Hemingway, I recommend Blume’s book on the book. In addition, Michael Cirino and Michael Von Cannon host the podcast One True Pod. For me, as a Hemingway fan, it’s essential listening. They cover all things Hemingway and talk to many different authors, asking them to share their “one true sentence” (which comes from his memoir, A Moveable Feast) from a Hemingway story. 

For John le Carre fans, there is news. A new George Smiley novel is coming out next year. It’s being written by his son Nicholas Cornwell who writes professionally under the name Nick Harkaway. It’s set between the end of The Spy Who Came in From the Cold and Tinker Tailor. 

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/nov/10/john-le-carres-son-to-write-new-george-smiley-novel?CMP=twt_books_b-gdnbooks

We will find out whether that was a good idea (and I have my doubts). 

Edited by Brad