Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to admit that I am not feeling The Adventures of Augie March this time around.  It just feels like it drags, and I am almost completely uninterested in the doings of Augie's callow older brother, Simon.  I remember liking the novel very much in my 20s, but my tastes and tolerance for long novels have definitely changed...

Will try to stick to shorter novels for a while.  Next up are Reuss's Henry of Atlantic City and Desani's All About H. Hatterr (NYRB).

henry-of-atlantic-city.jpg

1252537.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2023 at 10:38 AM, BillF said:

Now reading:

deansdecember-1sq_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=163

This is my favorite late Bellow novel by far.  However, I'm a little worried that my tastes have shifted so radically that I won't enjoy it if I reread it (I just did not like The Adventures of Augie March at all this time around), but I suspect it will hold up whenever I get back to it.

I did enjoy Reuss's Henry of Atlantic City more than Horace Afoot.  I'm just now venturing into All About H. Hatterr (NYRB).  Hoping that it lives up to the buzz.

20 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Currently really enjoying Nathaniel Mackey's Fro a Broken Bottle Traces of Perfume Still Emanate. Not sure whether this is a "jazz book" or not.

Meant nothing to me so just read a little about it, intrigued.

I see Oto sell it and their bookshelves normally intimidate me with their intellectualism...

Herunterladen (1).jfif

Nora Roberts: "Păcatele Inocenților". The original title I think is "Carnal Innocence" . It´s really a thrilling book. Somewhere I have heard that they even made a film out of it, but probably only in English. 

I will have to read more slowly and only before sleeping since I read to fast and need some unread books for my 14 days vacance in the first two september weeks. 

Edited by Gheorghe

13 minutes ago, BillF said:

51ATy1pyOTL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

While this is a fairly short novel, I found it got a bit baggy by the end.  It could have made a killer novella or extended short story, however.

I got halfway through Austen's Mansfield Park over the weekend.  I don't think it really stands up as well as P&P or S&S.

I dipped into Maugham's Cakes and Ale as well.  Some very biting commentary on the London literary scene.  I'm definitely looking forward to this after wrapping up Austen.

cakes-and-ale.jpg

On 7/31/2023 at 3:33 PM, ejp626 said:

While this is a fairly short novel, I found it got a bit baggy by the end.  It could have made a killer novella or extended short story, however.

As his final novel, published when he was 85, Ravelstein is certainly not one of Bellow's best, but still worth reading IMHO.

On 7/31/2023 at 3:33 PM, ejp626 said:

I got halfway through Austen's Mansfield Park over the weekend.  I don't think it really stands up as well as P&P or S&S.

I could never read Jane Austen for pleasure, but as a student or teacher have had to read several of her novels.

Perhaps a university tutor of mine got it right when he complained that the biggest event in one of her novels (I've forgotten which one) is where someone falls from a four-foot wall! As for her prissiness, he said that after reading Austen, he felt like "taking a bath in Rabelais".:lol:

In roughly the same period as Austen, my man is Fielding. Joseph Andrews is a favourite.

Edited by BillF