• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Geraldine Brooks: People Of The Book

Hey, me too!

Good taste is timeless.

Would love to hear your guys' thoughts on this book if you don't mind! I've been considering picking this one up. It sounds interesting, but I must admit I was drawn to it at first by the very cool cover!

I thought that the writing was a bit cliched at times but it's a page turner and worth a read.

A pile of Rex Stout, & George Borrow's Lavengro, one of the weirdest & most interesting of 19th-century bildungsromans (topics include snakes, gypsy language & culture, extreme anti-Catholic sentiment, obsessive-compulsive disorder, epilepsy, the nefarious publishing industry, polymathic language-learning.......).

51HZHP8MJKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Furst's eighth novel, I think, of a series set in the period leading up to and during WWII. This one starts in the Mediterranean around the time of the fall of Crete in 1941; a marvellous evocation of the precarious life of a small merchant ship. It's about to shift to the Baltic, just in time, I'm assuming, for Operation Barbarossa.

I've fallen behind with these novels - there have been two more since this came out in 2004. Fully intend to catch up in the next couple of weeks.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

arts_zenwrapped_review.jpg Brad Warner - Zen Wrapped in Karma, Dipped in Chocolate.

I meant to ask and forgot...how was this?

A lot of of narrative with the occasional zen idea dropped in. I love his books.

edit: The one to read, if you haven't read any of his books, is the first - Hardcore Zen: Punk Rock, Monster Movies and the Truth About Reality.

Edited by 7/4

Complete tales and poems by Edgar Allen Poe.

Is it the collection published by Vintage? I've had a couple of copies of that edition over the last twenty years. I've been reading some classic horror stories, too, by Ambrose Bierce - the Penguin collection, Spook House: Terrifying Tales of the Macabre. I've enjoyed these so much that I ordered the Dover collection Ghost and Horror Stories of Ambrose Bierce last weekend. Fortunately, there are only three stories in common between these collections, so they are an easy and affordable way to get most - if not all - of Bierce's horror tales in good editions.

51EPMKLIcML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU15_.jpg41PzCNkz47L._SL500_AA240_.jpg41EGXNQ398L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Jeroen de Valk's Chet Baker Bio once again (while listening to the Rassinfosse/Baker/Catherine cd) such a great book, maybe of all the jazz biographies i've read the one that helps you get to know the artist as a person the best... somehow de valk figured out that he could write a great baker bio mostly by extensively interviewing people in the Netherlands who knew him from the seventies on - and i'd say he was definitively right...

afterwards my two books of lovecraft stories that reappeared again (bringing the index of treasured but lost items in my appartment down to two...)

maybe of all the jazz biographies i've read the one that helps you get to know the artist as a person the best

I'd be interested to know which books you'd name under this heading. For me, the first that come to mind are Art Pepper's Straight Life and Hampton Hawes's Raise Up Off Me.

maybe of all the jazz biographies i've read the one that helps you get to know the artist as a person the best

I'd be interested to know which books you'd name under this heading. For me, the first that come to mind are Art Pepper's Straight Life and Hampton Hawes's Raise Up Off Me.

still got to read the hawes bio... guess a huge difference between the two books you named and de valk's is that these are autobiographies... i really liked straight life, but somehow i don't feel an autobiography can really do justice to personalities like pepper or baker (after all - this generation of white musicians must have been the one of the most difficult group of characters in jazz history?(raney, getz, haig, marmarosa, and so many others) but what do i know, baker does not come across particularly troubled or unhappy in that book... btw, just out of a different world with all the difficulties that brings) it's just revealing to read the baker interview in de valk's book seeing he doesn't know about a good deal of the albums he releases, misplaces others by more than ten years, doesn't know the name of jean louis rassinfosse who had recorded six albums with him in the last few years... this type of thing wouldn't have made it into an autobigraphy... and then, i feel a complex person like that is much better described by the impressions of a few dozen others than by their own words... also de valk maintains an excellent balance between writing about the music, writing about the person and setting the two in relation (expect no deep musicology though)

one excellent book which falls somewhat in between is aj albany's book about her father joe albany (we used to have a thread about that one) it's not much about the music and of course highly personal but still i'd say you certainly learn more about albany than in what i'd expect would have been in his autobiography...

a particularly bad example concerning getting to know the person is buddy collette's autobiography... the book sure is informative but could hardly be drier - i wish (and am almost convinced) buddy collette is a more interesting person than comes out in the book...

a particularly bad example concerning getting to know the person is buddy collette's autobiography... the book sure is informative but could hardly be drier - i wish (and am almost convinced) buddy collette is a more interesting person than comes out in the book...

Two books that didn't do it for me were Stan Britt's biography of Dexter Gordon (British author too far from his subject?) and Red Callender's autobiography (lack of writing skills?) Anyone else want to nominate particularly successful jazz biographies/autobiographies?

Glenn Miller and His Orchestra by George T. Simon. I happen to enjoy this book tremendously, but, then, I love Glenn Miller.

Finished this one today and it left a very sad feeling about Miller. He does not seem to have ever been a very happy person, and opened up to very few people in his life. I think his major disappointment in life was being a average trombone player, he felt that he could never reach the level of a Dorsey or a Teagarden, but then, who could? Even his arranging wasn't anything to write home about, and, at times, he comes off as a flat-out jerk in how he treated his musicians. Even, or maybe especially, with his Army Air Force Band, which is one of the greatest band ever (IMHO), his dissatisfaction was high. Still, even with all this, he was able to produce great music, and I've fallen very much in love with it. There is some speculation on what Miller would have done if he survived the war, some saying that he would have gone the Stan Kenton or Woody Herman route. I'm afraid I would disagree with that sentiment, Miller stikes me as someone would have gone the Lawrence Welk route, the "give the people what they want" kind of band, and sadly, he would go for that because of the money involved. Miller did like his money, and was very concerned about being popular. Being inventive, jazzy, that might be nice musically, but financially, that's a losing proposition. It would have also been interesting to see how Miller, or if, he would intergrate his band. In Simon's book, Miller comes off as a biased, if not racist, kind of person.

Edited by Matthew

Maximum Bob by Elmore Leonard

Complete tales and poems by Edgar Allen Poe.

Is it the collection published by Vintage? I've had a couple of copies of that edition over the last twenty years. I've been reading some classic horror stories, too, by Ambrose Bierce - the Penguin collection, Spook House: Terrifying Tales of the Macabre. I've enjoyed these so much that I ordered the Dover collection Ghost and Horror Stories of Ambrose Bierce last weekend. Fortunately, there are only three stories in common between these collections, so they are an easy and affordable way to get most - if not all - of Bierce's horror tales in good editions.

51EPMKLIcML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU15_.jpg41PzCNkz47L._SL500_AA240_.jpg41EGXNQ398L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I have the exact one you pictured.

Edited by Van Basten II

I have the exact one you pictured.

:tup

I have got to read Bierce; I can't believe I've put it off this long...I've been meaning to try his stuff for thirty plus years now.

Unlike Poe, Bierce's stories are often very short descriptive sketches, sometimes only three or four pages long, and they can also seem to be a bit forumlaic. That said, I'm impressed by how well Bierce can create a whole creepy atmosphere in such a confined space and with such simple, direct and surprisingly modern language. In some ways his stories seem like a precursor to those one or two page horror stories that used to be published in Gold Key/Whitman comics, and the surprise endings remind me of some episodes of The Twilight Zone, which is fitting since his story "An Occurance At Owl Creek Bridge" was made into an episode.

'Angler - The Cheney Vice Presidency' by Barton Gellman

Excellent portrait of possibly the most focussed, ruthless and efficient operative in the history of American politics. Nothing to admire and plenty to loath in his manipulation of people, the Constitution, and the law - not to mention facts. However - morality aside - and the ex VP's amorality is gigantic - if Obama had someone running heath care reform with even a tenth of Cheney's abilities we'd have an effective bill signed by Christmas.