Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really enjoyed The Thought Gang, though it goes off the rail in a few places. I don't think Tibor's other books have been nearly as good.

Anyway, I will probably regret it, in terms of sheer time commitment, but I have started Anthony Powell's A Dance to the Music of Time, which is a 12 novel sequence, tracing the lives of a few upper middle class Englishmen as they grow up from the 1930s to the late 1960s. There is some psychological insight, though not nearly as saturated as Proust, say. Powell's work looks very much in the same vein as Trollope and Galsworthy, which are fundamentally about interacting in and getting ahead in society.

I've read Powell's Dance to the Music of Time twice now, and I have mixed feelings about it. It'll be interesting to read your take on the books. I would compare the writing more to Waugh instead of Trollope or Galsworthy, Powell has that cynical touch about characters and situations that reminds me of EW.

I really enjoyed The Thought Gang, though it goes off the rail in a few places. I don't think Tibor's other books have been nearly as good.

Anyway, I will probably regret it, in terms of sheer time commitment, but I have started Anthony Powell's A Dance to the Music of Time, which is a 12 novel sequence, tracing the lives of a few upper middle class Englishmen as they grow up from the 1930s to the late 1960s. There is some psychological insight, though not nearly as saturated as Proust, say. Powell's work looks very much in the same vein as Trollope and Galsworthy, which are fundamentally about interacting in and getting ahead in society.

I've read Powell's Dance to the Music of Time twice now, and I have mixed feelings about it. It'll be interesting to read your take on the books. I would compare the writing more to Waugh instead of Trollope or Galsworthy, Powell has that cynical touch about characters and situations that reminds me of EW.

I've been meaning to get to Powell's Dance to the Music of Time for a while, but I'm waiting at least until I finish Proust (I'm actually almost 2/3rds done, but it could be another year or so before I finish).

Matthew, your feelings about Powell are unmixed enough for you to have read the Dance to the Music of Time sequence twice, so I'll take that as a recommendation.

I can guarantee I won't read it twice, but I am enjoying it. I have to admit, I haven't read enough Galsworthy to see if it is really similar. The Trollope I am thinking of is the Palliser series where there are a number of shady characters and social climbers, although the majority of people are honest (despite being politicians). I would highly recommend this series if you have a spare year to read.

The narrator and the tone of the narration reminds me a fair bit of that of Ford Maddox Ford's The Good Soldier, where he is somewhat unreliable, simply because he is withholding information about the present while reporting on events of the past. Curiously, while I really enjoyed The Good Soldier, I barely made it through Parade's End and can't remember any of it (other than not liking it).

As long as we are talking about multi-volume works, I would give a big thumbs up to Durrell's Alexandria Quartet, which I hope to reread soon (maybe after I tackle Proust).

yes, his Elvis bio is crap too - there were several devastating reviews when his Bruce book came out, particularly, as I recall, by Nat Hentoff. I read it and it's a mess. Lawrence Schiller, his collaborator, is basically a literary ambulance chaser. Best books on Lenny are The Essential, his autobiography, and the book that came out a year or so ago on his legal battles - better yet, get the LPs and CDs -

another amazing thing is the Lenny Bruce Performance film, from the Basin Street West. Brilliant stuff-

Edited by AllenLowe

beware - bad book full of mistakes of both fact and emphasis -

Yes, I'm treating it as a somewhat novelistic treatment of LB's life. I'll keep an eye out for THE ESSENTIAL LENNY BRUCE--I'm really eager to find something reasonably well-written about him. Been listening to that Shout! Factory compilation, though the set I picked up had no booklet--and also used an LB track for this week's Night Lights--hence my renewed interest in him right now.

As long as we are talking about multi-volume works, I would give a big thumbs up to Durrell's Alexandria Quartet, which I hope to reread soon (maybe after I tackle Proust).

I've been hoping to read that Durrell series for quite awhile. Re: Proust, beware the new translation of WITHIN A BUDDING GROVE (retitled IN THE SHADE OF FLOWERS OF YOUNG GIRLS, or something like that). It's crap. Lydia Davis' new translation of SWANN'S WAY, otoh, is pretty good. I've read it and the entire Kilmartin translation, but folks on the Proust List seem to generally give the most thumbs-up to D.J. Enright's revision of Kilmartin (published by the new Modern Library).

I've been hoping to read that Durrell series for quite awhile. Re: Proust, beware the new translation of WITHIN A BUDDING GROVE (retitled IN THE SHADE OF FLOWERS OF YOUNG GIRLS, or something like that). It's crap. Lydia Davis' new translation of SWANN'S WAY, otoh, is pretty good. I've read it and the entire Kilmartin translation, but folks on the Proust List seem to generally give the most thumbs-up to D.J. Enright's revision of Kilmartin (published by the new Modern Library).

But....what about the revision of the revision of the revision of D.J. Enright's revision of Kilmartin?

Man, I'm looking forward to that.

But....what about the revision of the revision of the revision of D.J. Enright's revision of Kilmartin?

Man, I'm looking forward to that.

Coming in 2029. :P

Actually, Kilmartin is a revision of Montcrieff...

You can drive yourself crazy trying to pick the best translation. Or just edition. For instance, the revised edition of Ulysses. Is it really different enough to bother with, for anyone other than an English major (my guess is no). Translations can make a huge difference, however.

I've got the Moncrieff Proust and will stick with that.

I've heard mixed things about some major new translations such as the Don Quixote or The Brothers Karamazov. Generally, the claims are that the new translations are more faithful and more earthy. That translations from the early twentieth century are just a bit too prim. Any thoughts here, pro or con?

But I have trouble judging such things. For major works of poetry, I occasionally collect multiple translations, which I generally do not do for novels. I have a few translations of Homer and will probably get the new translation of Dante, even though for me Dante will always be the John Ciardi translation. It's what I read when I was an undergraduate.

You can drive yourself crazy trying to pick the best translation. Or just edition. For instance, the revised edition of Ulysses. Is it really different enough to bother with, for anyone other than an English major (my guess is no). Translations can make a huge difference, however.

I've heard mixed things about some major new translations such as the Don Quixote or The Brothers Karamazov. Generally, the claims are that the new translations are more faithful and more earthy. That translations from the early twentieth century are just a bit too prim. Any thoughts here, pro or con?

But I have trouble judging such things. For major works of poetry, I occasionally collect multiple translations, which I generally do not do for novels. I have a few translations of Homer and will probably get the new translation of Dante, even though for me Dante will always be the John Ciardi translation. It's what I read when I was an undergraduate.

I have the un-Enrighted Kilmartin revision of Moncrieff, though would pick up the Enrighted version if I was buying it today, as that seems to be the best available translation according to my research.

I do the same thing with poetry as you do, ejp626. It has occurred to me that the same approach might be beneficial when reading novels, as well: different "angles" on the book, so to speak. I read the Constance Garnett Crime and Punishment years ago, but I'll read the recent Pevear & Volokhonsky translation next time around.

I read the Ciardi translation as my first Dante as well. It seems to be out of favor at the moment. When my book group read the Pinsky translation of The Inferno, I re-read the Ciardi alongside it (whatever you think of the translation, the Ciardi has great footnotes). Which new translation of Dante are you referring to? Seemingly every time I go into a bookstore, I see yet another new translation of Dante.

I have the un-Enrighted Kilmartin revision of Moncrieff, though would pick up the Enrighted version if I was buying it today, as that seems to be the best available translation according to my research.

I do the same thing with poetry as you do, ejp626. It has occurred to me that the same approach might be beneficial when reading novels, as well: different "angles" on the book, so to speak. I read the Constance Garnett Crime and Punishment years ago, but I'll read the recent Pevear & Volokhonsky translation next time around.

I read the Ciardi translation as my first Dante as well. It seems to be out of favor at the moment. When my book group read the Pinsky translation of The Inferno, I re-read the Ciardi alongside it (whatever you think of the translation, the Ciardi has great footnotes). Which new translation of Dante are you referring to? Seemingly every time I go into a bookstore, I see yet another new translation of Dante.

You could say Dante is going through translation Hell.

Don't get me started on these "corrected" editions, such as Ulysses. I think the edition that was proofed by Joyce himself should be good enough for anyone.

Don't get me started on these "corrected" editions, such as Ulysses. I think the edition that was proofed by Joyce himself should be good enough for anyone.

Actually, that "corrected" edition of Ulysses no longer bears the word "corrected" on its cover, as so many scholars have questioned the editor's methods, including going back to earlier drafts to "restore" material presumably rejected by Joyce, as well as correcting "mistakes" that Joyce intended. Later editions of the "corrected" version say "Gabler Edition" on the cover.

I once made the mistake of saying that I liked the Riverside Shakespeare to a serious Shakespeare scholar. What drama. I think she had even worked on one of the competing single-volume editions. I still think for the lay reader, the Riverside is fine.

Honestly, I can't remember which Dante it was, but it was one that was flavour of the month last year. I'm sure Ciardi will be back in favour some day. It's still my favorite. I certainly understand why there are so many prose versions of Dante, Homer, etc., but I think you really do lose something of the sheer accomplishment of Dante (in particular) when you don't remind the reader that this was a poem thousands of stanzas long.

Just finished reading My Name Escapes Me by Alec Guinness - an eighteen month diary written by a thoughtful, intelligent, witty man.

This afternoon I've been rereading some chapters from Nat Hentoff's Listen to the Stories, reminscences of musicians he's met, known, and listened to over the years of his life. I regard Nat Hentoff as an appreciator rather than a critic. Critics can point things out that are happening in music, while Hentoff (especially in this book) tells me why he loves music and reminds me why I love music. There's a time to read criticism, and there are times (like right now) when what Nat Hentoff writes is what I need to read.

1001 Films You Must See Before You Die

Catchy title; got this out of the library. The capsule reviews are very hit and miss, often riddled with inaccuracies, and more often than not just plain lame. Oh well. Decent review of Ride Lonesome though.

Geez, with a title like that I would have expected it to be a thoughtful and scrupulously accurate book. I picture a bunch of nursing home denizens zealously rushing through a tangle of video-tapes just to get in under the wire!

For what it's worth, Ride Lonesome has the perhaps the best and most satisfying closing shot of any film I've ever seen.

1001 Films You Must See Before You Die

Catchy title; got this out of the library. The capsule reviews are very hit and miss, often riddled with inaccuracies, and more often than not just plain lame. Oh well. Decent review of Ride Lonesome though.

Geez, with a title like that I would have expected it to be a thoughtful and scrupulously accurate book. I picture a bunch of nursing home denizens zealously rushing through a tangle of video-tapes just to get in under the wire!

For what it's worth, Ride Lonesome has the perhaps the best and most satisfying closing shot of any film I've ever seen.

Same here, but you knew that already.

I wasn't exactly expecting deathless prose, to say the least, but when you spot half a dozen inaccuracies in just a few minutes you realize it's a "bathroom book" in more than one sense.

Light reading lately... all Xmas gifts.

iPod Therefore I Am - Dylan Jones ... Another personal, music memoir. Quick, uneventful read. Guess I'll have to wait for Hornby to do his iPod playlist / memoir, although Songbook probably qualifies.

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - Dave Eggers ... Note to Mr. Eggers: Edit, Edit, Edit. Seems more like an extreme exercise of style over content which is a shame since there are some poingant moments in this memoir.

Low ... Another volume in Continuum's 33 1/3 series. I received a handful of these which I'm saving for light travel reading.