Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Between You and Me," Mike Wallace's second memoir. Just started it but I think it will prove to be a brief but fascinating read. What a life he's lived! Met him last night at an interview/book-signing in Beverly Hills. We actually share a hometown (Brookline, MA) which he mentioned when he signed the book. He looks incredible and nowhere near his 87 years! :tup

87!!!!! Holy Christ!

I once lived in Brookline, MA, and considered it my adopted hometown. Great place---maybe I should read the book just for that reason. ^_^ (Just kidding; there are plenty of other reasons to read it. I saw him the other night on the Daily Show, where he kept emphasizing the CD that comes with the book.)

Veronica by Mary Gaitskill

How is it? I'm a big Gaitskill fan and have been waiting years for a new book... but haven't had the $$ to pony up for it yet. Will probably end up on my b-day list.

I'm about halfway through, and while it's a pretty depressing story, the writing is great, and frequently funny. I will stop and reread a sentence just because it's such a great sentence. I got it from the library.. no $$ to pony up!

Next up... The Truth (with Jokes) by Al Franken

The Concord Saunterer: Special Walden Sesquincentennial Issue: Walden the Place and Walden the Book.

A wonderful collection of essays published by The Thoreau Society to mark the 150th anniversary of Walden. It's amazing to read the continuing impact of this book in today's world.

Just reread Fitzgerald's "Tender is the Night". I'd read it back when I was in college. I mention it here only because of my astonishment at how much I had forgotten  about it. Very sad book.

I re-read GATSBY several weeks ago... generally re-read that one every couple of years or so. Also re-read some essays from THE CRACK-UP.

Just finished LIVIN' IN A GREAT BIG WAY, the new bio of Tommy Dorsey.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just finished reading Walter Harding’s The Days of Henry Thoreau, and it is a great biography, it shows Thoreau in all his complexity. It also reminded me what a social person Thoreau was in his lifetime, how devoted his friends were to him, especially in his final illness. Interesting section on Thoreau’s relationship with John Brown, and his reaction to Brown’s execution – Thoreau burned with indignation and wrote some of his most powerful essays in response. My favorite new quote from Thoreau is his response to James Russell Lowell taking out this sentence from Thoreau’s essay in the Atlantic Monthly: “It [a pine tree] is as immortal as I am, and perchance will go to as high a heaven, there to tower above me still.” Thoreau wrote to Russell a letter, in which this sentence appears:

I could excuse a man who was afraid of an uplifted fist, but if one habitually manifests fear at the utterance of a sincere thought, I must think that his life is a kind of nightmare continued into broad daylight.

Ouch! On to Thoreau’s journals now.