Blindfold Test #6 Discussion

randyhersom

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, a closer listening leads me to believe that the congas might be Mtume. Those rolls he does have much the same tonal quality out of the drums that I hear out of him w/Miles.

Jim, I hate to say this, but your skills in recognizing conga players are far from your fantastic resources for identifying saxophonists ...

But apart from this, I can hear the similarities pointing you to Mtume: the relative lightness of sound, that wooden tone, the fast runs - but this guy here hits much harder than Mtume, and his repertoire of licks is limited. He uses to many triplets in his solos, and his fills are always completely off groove, where Mtume often keeps some aspect of the groove during his fills or solos.

This percussionist did quite a number of record dates for several years, published an introductory book on conga playing, but has not been in the spotlight for the last 15 to 20 years, AFAIK.

Bill Summers would have been my man of choice for that record, he would have handled everything with a lot more taste and restraint, with a mellower conga sound. I've been watching Bill's work for a long time now, he's one of my idols, I had the fortune to meet him personally on one of his tours with Herbie Hancock in Europe, but ...

Bill Summers would have been my man of choice for that record, he would have handled everything with a lot more taste and restraint, with a mellower conga sound. I've been watching Bill's work for a long time now, he's one of my idols, I had the fortune to meet him personally on one of his tours with Herbie Hancock in Europe, but ...

...I asked you not to respond re Summers (thank you for your comment though),

Can you imagine this bass and drums sound recorded for/by ECM?

Sorry, no.

There was a guessing game running on German TV running for decades, where 4 VIPs had to guess a guest's profession, or the name of another VIP (blindfolded :D ), the guests were allowed to respond only with "yes" or "no". Each "yes" gave the team another shot, each "no" was a five deutschmarks coin into the guest's piggy bank.

Mine would be filled by now and the game over.

Any more guesses?

Maupin led only one date for ECM as a leader, The Jewel in the Lotus, which is a beauty but not the record in question. It had Summers on percussion.

AFAIK Maupin did only once appear as a sideman on ECM, on Marion Brown's Afternoon of a Georgia Faun. Both have no guitar ....

Maupin led only one date for ECM as a leader, The Jewel in the Lotus, which is a beauty but not the record in question. It had Summers on percussion.

AFAIK Maupin did only once appear as a sideman on ECM, on Marion Brown's Afternoon of a Georgia Faun. Both have no guitar ....

ECM lists only the sideman date in their discography. That's what led me to think there could be another one.

It's not a Maupin date, especially not JEWEL IN THE LOTUS, which is nothing like this. I did consider one of his two Mercury dates, but those are ruled out with the info now given.

I'm wondering about the guitar player now, having given up on any & all percussionists that spring to mind, except for Montego Joe, and I seriously doubt it's him. Or Big Black. The guy sounds kinda fumble fingered on the single not runs, but he's got his rhythm chording thing together alright, kinda like he played in a bunch of organ bands that didn't play too much straight ahead material. Might even be an Africa or Carribean cat.

The "west coast pianist" bassist/drummer thing is throwing me too. From 1974, the only names that readily spring to mind are Joe Sample (no), Les McCann (possibly, but Paul Humphrey's been ruled out), Jimmy Rowles (Buster Williams crossed my mind vis-a-vis the Maupin association, but I find no mention of an album that fits this description anywhere), and Horace Tapscott (unlikely, I'd think).

I've got Down Beats in the closet going back to 1971 or so. If this album isn't reviewed in there, then I give up!

The "west coast pianist" bassist/drummer thing is throwing me too. From 1974, the only names that readily spring to mind are Joe Sample (no), Les McCann (possibly, but Paul Humphrey's been ruled out), Jimmy Rowles (Buster Williams crossed my mind vis-a-vis the Maupin association, but I find no mention of an album that fits this description anywhere), and Horace Tapscott (unlikely, I'd think).

I've got Down Beats in the closet going back to 1971 or so. If this album isn't reviewed in there, then I give up!

I never thought I could send you back to the closet! :g

That West Coast pianist is not on your list, Jim, he recorded an album with this bassist and drummer together for Prestige in 1973, and all three as the rhythm section for that guitarist's first album on another label a few months later.