Blindfold Test #6 Discussion

randyhersom

She does a version of this tune on another album of hers that I have, a duo date with Harvie Swartz

Would that be one of those Japanese live ones? IMO her best version is on a Muse album with a trio led by Kenny Barron.

"Crucificado" is a terrific song.  My favorite version comes from this Archie Shepp  album.

Gosh! I was in attendance at that concert (my first concert in Paris, shortly after I moved here), but I haven't heard the album in years and I had completely forgotten that Wilson sang "Crucificado" at it!

Edited by Tom Storer

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Crucificado" is a terrific song.  My favorite version comes from this Archie Shepp  album.

Gosh! I was in attendance at that concert (my first concert in Paris, shortly after I moved here), but I haven't heard the album in years and I had completely forgotten that Wilson sang "Crucificado" at it!

Wow! That must have been a GREAT concert to attend, Tom! Any memories to share?

ubu

Hey, mikeweil, I thought Michael Howell recorded on guitar with both Diz and the Messengers.  I do know there is one Diz album where he's listed on bass, but that's not the only one, and I never really was sure that was correct anyway.

I know for certain Mike Howell recorded and performed on bass guitar or electric bass - Ed Cherry played guitar - with Dizzy in 1982, there is an album with that personnel on Pablo (Musician-Composer-Raconteur) as well as two live bootleg LPs from the European tour they did, and I saw that band on TV, the rockiest Dizzy ever led! I recognized Howell from his photos on the Milestone LP covers and wondered why he had him play bass, especially as Cherry's guitar style was everything but jazz!

But he recorded with Dizzy on guitar on Bahiana in 1975, Al Gafa was on that as well.

Howell did record with Blakey on guitar for Prestige in 1973, the sessions for the Buhaina and Anthenagin albums. The one with Howell is available on Mission Eternal, Prestige PRCD-24159-2.

AFAIK Howell didn't record besides these and his three LPs as a leader for Milestone (1973 and 1974) and Catalyst (1976). But it seems he is still active, there are some concert announcements to be found on the web dating from recent years, if that is him.

AMG mixes him up with some pop producer Michael Howell and omitts the two Milestone LPs.

Thanks for the compliment Randy, I did my best to keep the guessing game running. It was fun! :tup

Edited by mikeweil

Well, I owe a review of Disc 2, and I'll be brief.

There is not a single track on the disc that I would venture a guess or voluntarily play again. The appeal of some of this music is so far beyond me that I do not believe that even the Crossing Over dude could make a connection.

I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

If so, it's the darned same ole thing - the drummer never gets the credit ... :bwallace:

you didn't give him much either in your reaction to the cut... ^_^

Don't want to picky, John, but "to give someone credit" means, in the first place, to mention someone's participation (that's why one talks about album credits) and effort, and I did that. I just don't like his drumming on that track. I dig Carvin on several other records I have, and sincerely recommend his solo drum CD on Mapleshade, which is great. But this here sounds too forced for me, and the timing is not accurate, the alto sounds forced as well, and they never should have handed him that cowbell. I really did what they do with the vocals at the end, if they would have acted at that volume level and with the interaction and variation level all through the track, I would have been thrilled!

I have to admit I never was much of a McLean fan, and this track is no reason for me to become one. dunno.gif

Don't want to picky, John, but "to give someone credit" means, in the first place, to mention someone's participation (that's why one talks about album credits) and effort, and I did that.

I know that Mike, I was just having a go at some word play. Damn! Failed again! :angry::(

:g

Edited by couw

1-5 well i'm out again with that silly guess and unfortunately in between the above posts so c & j are on.

having googled it would be some long out of print trio on the Catalyst label? that is a fantastic cut and it's been the one i've listened to the most thus far. those pieces that strike you as redundant upon first exposure are invariably the ones that tend to reveal the most. if it is this, then thank you rh for letting us all have the pleasure.

Wow! That must have been a GREAT concert to attend, Tom! Any memories to share?

ubu

Not too many, actually. It was standing room only. I got there at the last minute and ended up sitting on the steps in the aisles along with all the other latecomers. Mostly what I remember is the musicians massed on stage, the hot music belting out, and the eager enthusiasm of the crowd. There was a definite sense of this being an event. The band was wailing. I couldn't tell you who was in the band, though. Ah, memory... or its inevitable failure.

I have the album on vinyl but haven't had a turntable in years. I'll have to pick up the CD.

Tom, in regards the Sheila Jordan-Harvie Scwartz: yep, it's one of those live ones. Just picked it up a week or two again, but it's a bit underwhelming. I love Sheila, but only in certain contexts -- the duo stuff can be very good, but a little goes a very long way. I really dig the ECM albums she did with Steve Kuhn and Steve Swallow.