Blindfold Test #6 Discussion

randyhersom

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Howell I came up with while going through the DBs, what I know of his playing fits. He never impressed me much. The DB profile of him mentions he's a San Franciscan, and that he'd been recording for Milestone. I remember those albums. sorta, and again, wasn't too impressed with them at the time. They're not in AMG either.

I'm up to April 1975. Lemme go see if I can find a review of the exact album.

Hehehe! I think there's a Dennis Gonzales recording that has Jim Sangrey and Henry Franklin.

Not playing together, if there is.

Ok. Sorry. I remember seing this entry when I was looking for recordings with Henry Franklin some time ago:

Dennis González - John Purcell 8tet

DG (tp, pckt tp, flgh, tabla) / Rob Blakeslee (tp, fl) / John Purcell (ss, as, ts, fl, oboe) / Bob Ackerman (bs, as, picc) / Jim Sangrey (ts) / Henry Franklin ( b ) / W. A. Richardson (d) / Pat Peterson (vcl)

· Hymn for Rivers

· Little Toot

· Hear Our Prayer {traditional, arr. by DG, Peterson}

· Dos Cosas {traditional, arr. by DG}

Dallas, TX: 1985 March 8

Edited by rockefeller center

Hehehe! I think there's a Dennis Gonzales recording that has Jim Sangrey and Henry Franklin.

Not playing together, if there is.

Ok. Sorry. I remember seing this entry when I was looking for recordings with Henry Franklin some time ago:

Dennis González - John Purcell 8tet

DG (tp, pckt tp, flgh, tabla) / Rob Blakeslee (tp, fl) / John Purcell (ss, as, ts, fl, oboe) / Bob Ackerman (bs, as, picc) / Jim Sangrey (ts) / Henry Franklin ( b ) / W. A. Richardson (d) / Pat Peterson (vcl)

· Hymn for Rivers

· Little Toot

· Hear Our Prayer {traditional, arr. by DG, Peterson}

· Dos Cosas {traditional, arr. by DG}

Dallas, TX: 1985 March 8

Sunofabitch, you'e right! I had forgotten that Henry was on that record. He made the session, but not the rehearsals, at least not the same ones I did. Wow, that was a long time ago...

Here's the album:

So you did a record with Pat Peterson ...

I had that ENJA LP, but sold it later on, Fathead played as beautifully as ever, but Billy Hart made the impression on me that he was really delighted playing backbeat all the time, and she was not jazzy enough for my taste. For a soul singer it was okay. But singers are a very personal thing, they either attract you by their voice and phrasing or they don't.

Fine if she looked good for you.

It's been killin' me all week to pass over this thread, but I've been terribly busy and haven't had the chance to devote much time to listening. But I've gotta throw at least a couple of comments out, at least on the tracks that I know (so far).

D1/T6 "The Water is Wide," one of my favorite traditional songs. Van Morrison actually does my favorite version of this on his album with the Chieftans, but I really like this version as well. Sheila's voice is very distinctive to me, so I recognized her right away. She does a version of this tune on another album of hers that I have, a duo date with Harvie Swartz, but I like this version much better. Took just a minute to figure out that this track comes from this.

D1/T11 Why this tune isn't a jazz standard I'll never know. I can't say that I'm a big fan of Dave Burrell (I haven't heard enough of his output), but "Crucificado" is a terrific song. My favorite version comes from this Archie Shepp album. This version here is okay, but the vocals sound strained and the guitar solo is both gritty and sloppy at the same time.

mikeweil, thanks for keeping it interesting while I was on an overnight business trip. A shutout has been recorded. Very well done all. There is one tiny detail - one of the albums actually had two leaders, and only one has been mentioned. I certainly would file it under the name many of you mentioned, but to be fair to ...