Obscure Albums You'd Give Your Eye Teeth to Hear

Pete C

The Dootoo/Dootone pressing isn't too difficult to source, probably, if you feel like ponying up.

Bought it at a record collectors' fair a dozen years ago for about £5 (=c.$8). Like new.

There are lots of the 70s Authentic/Dooto reissues around - I see them quite often and they sound pretty good. The original deep groove version is more elusive and way more $ though.

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always wanted to hear "Chatter Jazz" by Rex Stewart & Dickie Wells. Typically the LP is available for pretty cheap but I've been looking for an affordable copy on CD forever.

EDIT: Just bought a used copy from Amazon. First time I have seen one that wasn't $40 or more. It must be my lucky day.

Edited by Brute

I've spent my life trying to track down the work of artists that interest me.

It used to be pretty difficult, but the Internest has made it much easier.

However, I've had some difficulty finding this LP: Bill Dillard, "Nocturne".

Not the trumpet player. This guy was a West Coast guitarist who took the place of Tal Farlow in the Red Norvo Trio in 1956, and recorded one LP with the Norvo Quintet.

Sadly, he died in a fire at the age of 23 (smoking cigarettes in bed).

However, I've had some difficulty finding this LP: Bill Dillard, "Nocturne".

Not the trumpet player. This guy was a West Coast guitarist who took the place of Tal Farlow in the Red Norvo Trio in 1956, and recorded one LP with the Norvo Quintet.

Sounds like something I might like to get my hands on too.

However, neither Jepsen nor Bruyninckx nor the Goldmine Price Guide to Collectible Jazz Albums 1949-1969 know this record.

Seems like this is REALLY rare.

Any more details and info available?

I can't post this properly but go to this link.

Yes, that's the track that got me interested in Dillard.

He was a little out of tune on "Whoopie", but sounded great on a track I heard from the Norvo Quintet LP he played on "Vibe-rations in Hi-Fi", rec'd in 1956. Very Tal-like.

"Nocturne", according to someone on the web, was a limited press; less than 100 copies made.

What was the label for the "Nocturne" LP?

There is a picture of Bill Dillard on eBay right now. Item number 390484659479.

No, that's the trumpet player with the same name.

I emailed a GB cat who knows someone who's got the LP, so I'm still waiting.

He's going to tell me who the cellist is, too.

The guy plays with too much balls to be Fred Katz, and I don't know if OP was on the West Coast back then, but it's probably a bass player who also played the cello (Red Mitchell?).

What was the label for the "Nocturne" LP?

There is a picture of Bill Dillard on eBay right now. Item number 390484659479.

No, that's the trumpet player with the same name.

I emailed a GB cat who knows someone who's got the LP, so I'm still waiting.

He's going to tell me who the cellist is, too.

The guy plays with too much balls to be Fred Katz, and I don't know if OP was on the West Coast back then, but it's probably a bass player who also played the cello (Red Mitchell?).

Here's an actual picture of Dillard that was supplied by his nephew.

He's the dude sitting on the bottom right with the guitar. Makes a strong case for birth control if this is his family :party:

Dillards.jpg

I have the 1956 Red Norvo Vibe-rations LP. The notes on the back of the cover say:

"In memoriam- Bill Dillard, one of the great new jazz stars, and guitarist on these sessions, lost his life shortly after these recordings were made. The tragedy thus deprived the jazz world of his genius less that a decade after his idol, Charlie Christian, passed into the great beyond. These sides were Bill's last known recordings."

Since Charlie died in 1942 the "less than a decade" is not quite correct but who cares?

Does anyone know how Bill Dillard lost his life?

Bill Dillard plays extensively on Vibe-rations. In 7 of the 8 tracks he has a significant solo and in all tracks has give-and-take sessions with Red Norvo. He, with Red, is given credit for composing 2 of the songs ("Rhee, Oh Rhee!" and "Porsche"). You could almost call this a Bill Dillard LP instead of Red Norvo. This LP is a "must have" for Bill Dillard fans.

Bill Dillard plays extensively on Vibe-rations. In 7 of the 8 tracks he has a significant solo and in all tracks has give-and-take sessions with Red Norvo. He, with Red, is given credit for composing 2 of the songs ("Rhee, Oh Rhee!" and "Porsche"). You could almost call this a Bill Dillard LP instead of Red Norvo. This LP is a "must have" for Bill Dillard fans.

Thanks, Stonewall! I'm definitely picking this one up.

There wasn't anything about Dillard in the radio doc. on Nocturne Records, but it's a definite possibilty.

As well as a load of folk music from all around the world, and other strange stuff, Prestige issued some gospel records on the TruSound label. I've never seen one of them. They were

Clefs of Calvary - Baptized (TRU60001)

Gate City SIngers - Peace in the valley (TRU60002)

Capitol City Stars - We've come this far by faith (TRU60003)

Back Home Choir - Come out of the wilderness - (TRU60004)

Pentacostal Choir of Detroit - Saved (TRU60005)

Psalms of Praise - Time is winding up (TRU60006)

Clefs of Calvary - God's light (TRU60007)

The first 6 were definitely produced by Ozzie Cadena in May 1962 and, although the Prestige discography doesn't identify the studio, almost certainly at Van Gelder's. The last one was from November 1963, producer not listed, but surely still Ozzie @ Van Gelder's.

The organist on some of these is RObert Banks. When I last visited Newark, NJ, in 1997, he was playing a little keyboard thing in Je's Restaurant Sunday lunchtimes. Really nice.

Je's was formerly either the Cadillac CLub (where Lou DOnaldson's 'The scorpion' was recorded) or the Key CLub (where Charles Earland and Rhoda Scott recorded live). The two clubs were on diagonally opposite corners or Halsey & WIlliams. There was another organ room on one of the intervening corners, can't remember the name. Just imagine standing on that crossroads, hearing loud soul jazz coming at you from thre directions!

MG

As well as a load of folk music from all around the world, and other strange stuff, Prestige issued some gospel records on the TruSound label. I've never seen one of them. They were

Clefs of Calvary - Baptized (TRU60001)

Gate City SIngers - Peace in the valley (TRU60002)

Capitol City Stars - We've come this far by faith (TRU60003)

Back Home Choir - Come out of the wilderness - (TRU60004)

Pentacostal Choir of Detroit - Saved (TRU60005)

Psalms of Praise - Time is winding up (TRU60006)

Clefs of Calvary - God's light (TRU60007)

The first 6 were definitely produced by Ozzie Cadena in May 1962 and, although the Prestige discography doesn't identify the studio, almost certainly at Van Gelder's. The last one was from November 1963, producer not listed, but surely still Ozzie @ Van Gelder's.

The organist on some of these is RObert Banks. When I last visited Newark, NJ, in 1997, he was playing a little keyboard thing in Je's Restaurant Sunday lunchtimes. Really nice.

Je's was formerly either the Cadillac CLub (where Lou DOnaldson's 'The scorpion' was recorded) or the Key CLub (where Charles Earland and Rhoda Scott recorded live). The two clubs were on diagonally opposite corners or Halsey & WIlliams. There was another organ room on one of the intervening corners, can't remember the name. Just imagine standing on that crossroads, hearing loud soul jazz coming at you from thre directions!

MG

Thanks for sharing that memory of Newark, MG.

Edited by paul secor