We forgot Cedar Walton's birthday!!!

mikeweil

Cedar Walton was born January 17, 1934, so he turned 7o, and we forgot!!!

That's how we take care of our living jazz masters .....

Apart from the fact that I saw him perform five times, more often than any other jazz player, he is ..... you know what he is.

Belated congratulations!

d56277o719q.jpg

In a way, its not surprising. Cedar is an excellent, excellent mainstream musician and a tremendous composer. But I'm afraid he slips under a lot of people's radar, perhaps because he's so consistently good, but maybe too smooth and predictable, and certainly not "revolutionary".

I've seen him twice, with Smilin' Billy Higgins, Ralph Moore and the rest of Eastern Rebellion. Hope I'll see him again, and when I head out to my car, I'll take special note of the disc that I have in the car stereo today: a radio broadcast of Eastern Rebellion from 1992 at the Regattabar. :tup

But I'm afraid he slips under a lot of people's radar, perhaps because he's so consistently good, but maybe too smooth and predictable, and certainly not "revolutionary".

Good description! I often think it is much more difficult to stay on common musical ground and constantly deliver excellent performances than putting up something revolutionary. His Eastern Rebellion bands featured very good arrangements.

Most will probably miss him only after he's gone, I'm afraid.

:tup

As it was highly recommended by Dan and other board members, I finally found a copy of Roots. It definitely has exceeded my expectations -- now I'm trying to find "The Composer".

Cedar's coming to my home town in February as part of the Newport Jazz Festival "All-Stars". I certainly won't miss that one!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CEDAR!!!

:party::party::party:

• 5 years later...

I was looking for a Cedar Walton thread and only found this.

He's so damn professional and this is all we have to say?

This guy is dedicated and produces great music as panist and composer.

and band leader too, I guess.

I don't know what his best albums are but I too am a big fan of Blakey's Mosaic.

Problem is, they're all good! :)

My favourites are the Eastern rebellion CDs (all of them, mostly those rare gems on the long defunct MusicMasters label),

I've noticed in my Worlds Records catalogs that some MusicMasters recordings have been licensed or purchased by a new label, Nimbus. The first MusicMasters release with Ralph Moore in the tenor chair has been reissued:

http://www.worldsrecords.net/cgi-bin/store...d=07-26-09.5025

63960.gif

I believe Nimbus has also put out some of the fine Benny Carter releases from MusicMasters too, but that probably deserves a separate thread. Again checking Worlds, Elegy in Blue and Central City Sketches are the two that are available again.